SlotForum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Nobby Berkshire
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a handful of ratty old 1960s Scalex cars that have tiny little motors. I've cleaned them up and adjusted them for optimum performance and some of them run really fast. Quite amazing for such tiny things!

Anyway, does anyone know where to buy either replacement black brushes for soldering on, or the brushes already fitted to the metal arms?

The arms are like those on what slotcar folks call 'RX' motors from the 1960s, but about half the size.

·
Premium Member
8,227 Posts
Nice little cars to have.
Look up Scalextric Car Restorations.
They sell complete carbon brushes for the Formula Junior Motors at £9.99 a pair.
Cheers,
Kev.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Some FJs can be quick little things. Have you modified any of yours? Check out the "Formula Junior Fun" thread.

And can you share your method for soldering carbon brushes? I can never tin the brush.

·
Nobby Berkshire
2,015 Posts
Thanks. They are really cool little half-antiques. I love the built-in bodyshell movement from the motor/rear axle and front axle movement.

It's amazing that NSR and Slot It have 'advanced' technologies that were in Scalextric/Triang from the mid-1960s

£10 for such dinky arms and brushes sounds pretty rough. The cars only cost about £4 each and even the most expensive bids on Ebay peak at around £10-£15

Does anyone know where to get tiny carbon tips that I can simply solder on to the existing metal arms?

Hi Thai! I cut an old SCX RX41 motor brush in half and soldered one to each arm with ordinary solder with internal flux. It's holding OK. I don't know if it's carbon, but it's black and seems to act like carbon. They are are bit too big but the motor's working fine.

The thread you're talking about inspired me to buy a few of these gems. I'm painting and detailing a C73 Porsche and a C81 Cooper at the moment. They'll be finished soon when I can find time.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I've been trying to solder an actual FJ brush back onto the arm, but maybe it's just too old and worn out.

I've seen a suggestion in the past to use automobile starter brushes, or other larger electric motor brushes as a source for brush material. I've got one and will experiment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts