SlotForum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
ParrotGod
10,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This model is the third livery Scalex released of this new mold and I almost missed it. When I realized that I did not pre-order it, it was gone.
However, I managed to get hold of a couple of them. The idea was to make a conversion with a 3dp chassis.
There are a couple of options on shapeways...but they are too stupid expensive especially considering the cost of posting them down to NZ.

The Chassis

The other option I found is to get a Area71 3dp chassis from Pendle.
Circuit component Motor vehicle Hardware programmer Gas Engineering

The chassis works ok. It takes a slot.it pod. However there is not space for the side mounts so I had to cut them.
The parts are pretty standard for the GT3 series we run down here.
Circuit component Bumper Motor vehicle Electronic engineering Gas

Despite the fact that I have suspensions (front and rear) I like to use some tape to control the travel.

·
ParrotGod
10,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The Body
Scalex reproduction of the Vantage is pretty spot on. To make the body competitive, you need to remove some plastic. I think I managed to get to a decent weight in about a couple of hours with the dremel. I think I was able to get the body down to around 10 gr. Then adding the windows (i removed some extra material that is under the roof from the clear parts), my lightweight interiors with rollcage, and rear wing we are about to 17 gr.

Scale Green Electrical wiring Gauge Gas

This is an excellent starting point for the target weight of 21 gr. Adding lights and wiring brought the weight up to 18.9 gr

Green Blue Urban design Indoor games and sports Electronic engineering

Green Table Motor vehicle Card game Wood

Wheel details
For inserts I used the Sideways Ford GT ones and added calipers to a set of BA disk brakes for their Ferrari.
Red Font Material property Rectangle Magenta

On the track

Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car Wheel

Tire Car Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Overall it is a nice model and the TA71 chassis works well. As you can see this chassis is printed using a new grey material that is more light weight and flexible.
I think it works better on plastic than their previous version which was more rigid.
The final product is competitive against more pro brand.
Once I get the Sideways Vantage, I will do some test to compare the two. But until then, I will enjoy racing this for a while.

·
ParrotGod
10,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Gary. The interior was a quick job as I wanted to race it last week.
Most of the cars in my fleet use the 1.0 offset. To be honest I have not checked the clearance under the motor but given that the rear tyres are 21mm once trued, I think there is enough clearance to pass a DiSCA EuroSeries check.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts