SlotForum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have the Scalextric lap counter that as you know is triggered by a mechanical switch.When most cars trigger the counter the trigger mechanism emits a loud irritable click.Both lanes are the same.The mechanism is not sticky and the cars are not derailed by it.
Is there a fix?
The obvious solution is of course to get a beam activated counter(I have the Carrera one,lousy display though) but my track layout does not have the space for the feet of these counters.

Cheers

·
Nobby Berkshire
2,015 Posts
It's just a 'click' so what's the problem?

Three solutions:

1. Pendleslotracing for a light sensor bridge unit.

2. Earmuffs

3. Earplugs

·
Premium Member
3,083 Posts
Mechanical stuff usually makes a noise of some sort.

Electronic stuff invariably "beeps" at you constantly.

It is debatable which one is more irritating.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sorry you had to buy that stuff. It important to understand that these devices are made by CEO's and engineers that could not be caught dead with a slot car controlloer in thier hands. It is wierd that they don't at least hire some kids to test their new products. But again, you have to understand that they had to hurry to get those out five months after I showed them a crude version of the Slot Dragon called the Glitter Box. How do you like those battery wieghted pylons? I smacked my car into that a few times and that was enough.
You might look at a Slot Car Dragon. There are some reviews here at SF and that is what I am looking for right now. We are a sponsor here so I think it is legit to say just google Slot Car Dragon for our site. It dosent make a whisper, until you finish.
Happy tracks
Daniel

·
Registered
203 Posts
This happens to me too, the "click" noise that is!, it also happens with certain cars on the Scalextric sport analogue power base where the wires cross the bottom of the rails - certain cars/guides make a "click" when they cross this section, so I did a little mod on mine and re-routed the wires, it was actually very easy to do.

But anyway we are talking about the lapcounter here!, mine also misses laps and sets lap records of 0.01 or 0.02 of a second!, once that happens you have to start your timing again.

It works ok most of the time - and is cheap I suppose but could have been better designed, it seems it was made for kids, not big kids like us!, lol. As for the "click" noise I have yet to look for a fix.

Would love to know more about this: "Pendleslotracing for a light sensor bridge unit", will have to see about that.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi F1,

Thought I was the only one with the same hiccups(besides the noise it makes)I have found that the reason why it sometimes misses laps is that some car's guide blades" float"(especially at high speed) over the switch between the rails and therefore do not activate the counter.
I was lucky as I had an older Classic track lapcounter that was faulty. I solved the problem by removing the switch in the newer counter and used the half track section of the older Scalex lapcounter and diverted the wires to the newer counter box.The switch in the older type sits a little higher than in the newer type(the one that is sold with the Classic to Sport converter).
I now sit with two starting grids!

I also sometimes experience some crazy lap times.

Need to find another technology!

Regards
Bryan

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
...... or resort to the pencil trick!

Put a pencil under the far end of the counter's track piece and this causes the cars to drive into the counter ........ might get very nosiy though

1 - 7 of 7 Posts