Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
this is my first post and unfortunately I have a problem. I bought my son a Range Rover with lights and siren, inserted a digital chip ( as I have done with other cars) and all I have is lights and siren - no power to the motor, all connections are tight, I even replaced the analogue fitting back in and ran the track in analogue mode with no success (same results).
Does it sound like I have scored a dud or is there something else I can check?
Cheers for any help.
Monkeynut

·
Registered
203 Posts
Could be something simple like a rear axle bushing popped out its slot, I have found this to be quite common with some new cars I have purchased!.

Check that both rear wheels are level in the arches, if not you should be able to hold the wheel and pull the bushing back in place, if it won't go back in then you will have to open up the car, just a couple of screws usually and then it will be easier to push the bushing back in place.

Having this happen could cause the gears not to be lined up and so you will have no drive to the wheels. But - even so you should still here the motor revving!

Failing that it could be a loose motor wire that is soldered direct on the motor, on your car you will most likely have 4 wires soldered to the motor, 2 for the lights/siren and 2 for the power, if one of the power wires has come off or broken at the solder join this would cause what you are experiencing.

If you don't feel confident to open up the car and have a look or attempt to fix and possibly have to solder then if you can I would return the car before you open it up to avoid any issues with return or exchange of the car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, the axle bushing was out (that was the first prob straight out of the box) . No sound from the motor, the gears are lined up and there doesn't seem to be any loose or broken wires. Think I will just have to return it Monday must be a dud! Thanks for the offer tho.
Cheers

·
Registered
203 Posts
Not sure how common it is to get a dud motor, I've never had one, but then I haven't purchased that many cars in total.

I would think it is something other than the motor, but it is hard to say without looking at the car. But then their is only so much that can be wrong with a slot car for it not to work - I suppose.

Although I thought they were tested before leaving the factory?

You sound like you have an idea that everything looks to be in place, so you could be right that it is the motor.

Best bet is to return it, no doubt the shop will have a look at it before exchanging it or refunding you, it's up to you if you just want your money back or another car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Took the car back today and had it tested.
It had a broken wire to the motor. Not what you're expecting though, it was actually fractured inside the plastic casing. So a visual inspection was useless as everything was intact. The guy at the shop said he'd never seen one like it before!

Cheers for the replies.

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
If the fracture was on one of the feet of the ferrite man then that is quite common.

Although Scalextric often use a soft silicone wire the assembler does sometimes get carried away with the crimper and weakens the joint considerably. The other type of connection is the ferrite man soldered directly to the feet. When this breaks, the damage is more obvious.

·
Prof I T
Ting Tong
11,085 Posts
hi
the sooner scaley drop this easy braid change system and revert back to the push in eye lets that slot-it still use the better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts