SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of getting one of the TVR's and don't know if the Sport version is worth the extra bucks. I know they have brass bushings, but don't know of any other significant difference. Do the plastic bushings let the axel move to much after some use? Are there other issues? Its about a $5 difference in price.
kiov

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
It might be worth the difference for the button magnet usually included with Sport models. (I'm not sure if it is included with every single one, but I think so)

·
Registered
448 Posts
Yeah, there is a button mag with every sport car. What you must remember, however is that these cars are limited edition and could be very valuable in the future. The sport box looks nicer too, although a bit of a dust trap

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Usually, if offered the same model but two versions (one Sport & one Standard) I got to confess, more than likely purchase the Sport edition.

This decision, I shamefully admit is more than likely due to the idea of "exclusivity" and should I say... the packaging, I'm a sucker for the care & attention lavished on these models.

Got to admit the box looks smart, but crap for displaying
Seriously though, it's not bad at all, it just takes up room when on show.

Anyway enough of these *gulp* collector thoughts and onto the cars...

I really think the performance difference is marginal; also the idea of longevity is a mute point. I personally feel you would need to put a lot of miles on the clock for the mechanical parts to really wear & break on either model.

Regarding overall performance? I doubt there is any real difference in reality. People have previously mentioned both types have each out-performed the other, more often the STD edition being the quicker (ironically) of the two types - although not by much.

Let us know which one you choose, either way I doubt you will be disappointed.

Jamie

·
Registered
164 Posts
When the missus isn't looking I tend to buy the Sport version as a "keeper" and the non-Sport as a "Racer". That satisfies the collector in me. But I only buy the cars I like which is the Mustang/Camaro/GT40. The rest of the sport range (so far) has little appeal to me, although I'm considering purchasing a TVR Tuscan "Sport" to race

As for the button magnets, they cost about 1/10th of the price differential between versions so it can't be that...................

Steve

·
Registered
448 Posts
QUOTE As for the button magnets, they cost about 1/10th of the price differential between versions so it can't be that...................

It must be the nice little sticker on the motor then

·
Registered
20 Posts
Have to confess!!! The last five Scalextric cars I've bought are all Sport one's and yes the reason being is the "Limited Edition" sort of goes some way to explaning to the other half that they are a investment for our future
!!!!!! while the reality is a healthy dose of impulse buying!,

From what I've gathered in terms of performance and handling there is nothing much in it, and real differences are probarly more down to whether you get a fast motor or a slow one!!! due to manufacturing tolerances,

Regards
Sunny

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Maybe I just drive my Sport version more carefully so it seems to stay on better
. As to being worth more in the future? Well go check out the Fly threads guys. I`m not convinced. Still, prefer that nice box though and I haven`t found the button mag anywhere and I find it does make a difference.

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
I think that only the very first Sport Limited Edition cars will be worth more in the future, most will be worth almost nothing.

Check the production runs on these cars, 10000 is actually MORE than some standard version production runs, so they are hardly a Limited Edition. Unnofficially, the guys at Hornby admit they made a big mistake making so many 'Limited Edition' cars, and production runs will be reduced in future.

That doesn't make the current cars more vaulable or rare. Have a look on Ebay and see how many people are desperately trying to unload Sport Limited Edition Minis. Now count how many standard Minis you can find. If scarcity makes a car more desireable then the standard Minis are worth a lot more than the Sport versions ! Ask the trade how many of some Sport Limited Edition cars are still sitting on the shelves while the standard version of the same car has sold out.

Of course, if anyone has the Sport Version early GT40's then they are ahead of the game, but if you have McLarens, Subarus, Minis, Opels, Corvettes, then...........tough !

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Not to embarrass you at all Gary but if anyone wants to def receive a Sport version then MRE is the place to order. I know that Sean has been let down at times but Gary always manages to come through. I also know for a fact that these two guys were true to their customers when the GT 40 were going for daft money . Our local retailer e bay`d all his, but not these two fellas. In one case I know ,Sean searched for,paid daft money and lost money to keep his pre ordered customers happy.Top notch

support these guys cos they look after you, or else I`ll come and get ya!

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I think scalextric are exploiting the fact that this is a predominemtly male hobby, and using a fact about gender difference:

If there are 2 cabbages in a supermarket, a woman will calculate the exact £/kg value and buy the cheaper more conomical one. A man will at very least be tempted to buy the more expensive cabbage, because it is probably 'better in some way, a luxury cabbage of sorts' hence the price.

Same factor is applying here, no matter what the proof that the sport versions are in no way better than the standard , its the version we want!

(yes it may be a bit better - but is that really the deciding factor?)

·
Registered
164 Posts
QUOTE Ask the trade how many of some Sport Limited Edition cars are still sitting on the shelves while the standard version of the same car has sold out

I saw 2 Sport TVR Tuscans (DeWalt and Harmon Kardon liveries) on ebay as "buy it now" for $AUD39.95 and there were 12 of each up for grabs!. The exact same ones are still on the shelf at my local shop for $AUD74.95. And they've got the non sport versions at $AUD69.95!!!

That's a bargain in any language!

Steve

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
As I understand it the Sport cars are supposed to use a better quality/ Straighter axle. Since Scaley knurls thier axles I will go ahead & pay the extra $5 just so I do not have to change out the axles! The Brass bushings & extra magnets are nice bonuses as well! I will buy the Sport every time! In fact just do away with the NON-Sports & put the Sports in a crystal boxes & I am a happy camper!

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
QUOTE (jonny s @ 23 Jan 2004, 01:37 AM)I haven`t found the button mag anywhere
Scalextric part W8449 contains a mix of rectangular and button. The usual suspects should have them!

Coop

·
Registered
263 Posts
A rather rapid topic!!

There has been two SPORT model cars released without the button magnet. The L88's, there's nowhere to put them.
I pretty well always buy the SPORT model regardless of whether I intend to race it or not. The failing in that is I now have a Penske Camaro that looks as old as it should be (30+ yrs) and they've just started to go up in value, and I have a Gulf #9 GT40 that I JUST SHOULDN'T have raced, although it is still in good nick.
You can't pick the cars that will go up in value. However I believe I have an idea on how to work it out. One simple rule, any release of 4000 and under buy up big because these models will go up as there just isn't that many on the world stage!!
I also buy non sport cars as not all models are released as both.
As for performance differences between them. pretty well none.

·
Registered
714 Posts
QUOTE There has been two SPORT model cars released without the button magnet.
Well noted, Turismo. This is well worth knowing.
I had a feeling there were Sport models without them.

·
Registered
263 Posts
As for the infamous 'SPORT' button magnet I have to say that I don't use it in any of my sport cars, it usually slows them down or gives them a far too stuck down feel.
However for those die hard speed demons out there a good tip is too actually place the button magnet on top of the bar magnet. It will centre itself and the difference is quite a bit. The cars still feels good and fast but corners better.

·
Registered
714 Posts
While all magnets necessarily slow down the car a little, the button can be useful for keeping the nose down and the guide in the slot. It's a trade off, depending on the type of track and the style of driving. If (hopefully when) we see the deeper blade and run it in the deeper Sport slot, then that button advantage might be removed.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts