SlotForum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a scalextric Mitsubishi WRC car which might be entered for the rally event at wrexham. Not really done a no-mag set up before, especially a rally one. Just taking the mag out, it falls over a lot, sometimes the front skips out, its just rubbish. So roughly how much weight and where? 5grams? 50 grams?

Tips and starting points appreciated

Cheers

Dave

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
being as I loathe weight, I can suggest a couple of starting points for you to try..

1) Remove the guide spring, this will help with understeer
2) True up all the tyres this will help provide grip.
3) Varnish the front tyres as it will also help prevent understeer.

If grip is still a problem a change of tyres would be my next step I would go probably with the Ortmann variety.
Although if you wish not to change the tyres then a little fettle with some 3 in1 will bring them a bit nearer the boil

I'm aiming towards the chatroom in a couple of mins too.

Inte

·
Matt Tucker
3,550 Posts
On rougher track (Ninco etc) then the stock tyres provide adequate grip, just make sure you glue them on to the hubs and true them. On sport, carrera and routed then proslots work well but not sure if any will fit on to the hubs. If not then swap hubs for slot-it ones and proslots fit on them nicely.

other in no particualr order:
- Get rid of any sideways (rear and front) axle slop with washers.
- scrape about 0.5mm off all the chassis edges and expand screw holes a bit so that nothing will impede flexing
- change braids so they are single strand
- reduce front tyres so the just touch the track while the guide is 100% in the slot and varnish the front tyres.
- they have a high cog so if you add weight get sheet lead and glue a strip on the underside of the chassis in front of the rear wheels (going from back to front).
- lube it up and run the motor in removing the little capicitor.
- remove all the lighting gizmo stuff

Matt

·
Graham Windle
4,445 Posts
QUOTE they have a high cog so if you add weight get sheet lead and glue a strip on the underside of the chassis in
This is a good fix matt but not all rules allow weight out side the chassis for fear of falling off /shorting etc .best fix for top heavy cars is to scrap the interior and replace with a light one say drivers torso stuck on a piece of tissue paper the difference doing this will be more noticable than ant other mod .

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cheers guys, have added weight inside car (10g just in front of sidewinder, and 5g just behind guide), put skinnies on front, removed lights and loosened screws so far, lap time down to 7.2 seconds from 7.9 (mag out, box standard). Me RAID does 7.1s, box standard but magnet removed (any tips for that one? seems good as it is).

My faster magnet cars do 3.8 seconds on the same (technical curvy) circuit - is that the kind of lap time difference you would expect between a WRC no mags vs a mag scalext mustang or dallara?

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
In my limited experience,Astro I'd say yes - you would expect to see that kind of difference. True & glue the tyres and you might see a further reduction. Mag 'stangs & dallaras are quick.

I do not know if there's any real tuning mods for the Raid stuff; truing the tyres would most likely get rid of the knobbles, the suspension provides some body rock, but loosening the screws may help. I suppose the Raid vehicles may benefit from some ballast low down. (I haven't started tuning the Ford ranger yet)

Mark.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Make sure both edges of both rear tyres are rounded after you true them. I took the body off and used an emery board to do it. This car is tall and rounded edges are important to help it slide rather than tip. Doing the inside edges helps the tyres slide over the slot rail rather than catch on it.

Then clean the tyres thoroughly. Non-mag cars love clean tyres, the difference is surprising for handling as well as traction.

Also, the standard guide gives the car poor maximum lock so trim the edges off. Just use a pair of snips (Games Workshop ones are great) and nip the edges off to allow the guide to turn more before hitting the stops. And following on mtucker666's tip, trim the braid so the piece that's tucked under is short enough to sit flat in the recess in the underside of the guide. This piece of the braid is usually too long and sits a little proud of the recess, which in turn causes the main part of the braid to bulge downward, reducing the amount of the slot flag that can sit in the slot.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks guys, got the times down to 6.8s now for both cars, though dont really have anything to ccompare it with to know if that is good or not! Oh well

I have added 15g to the lancer evo - does that sound like a lot of weight or hardly any? (inte - I know you think thats 15g too much!)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Astro chuck the bugga in the bin and get the bus it'll be quicker !!

Better still get a Fly Viper you tight so an so !!!

trim this true that wipe this add that remove this change that lube this scrape that varnish this fettle that and hey presto its still carp !!!!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
You should be aiming for a lap time that is within 25% of your magnet lap time. You appear to be a bit slow at the minute Astro. So still some work to do. Remember that you need a controller with a different rating if you take the magnet out to give you greater control.

Have you switched controllers?

If I can get to within 25% then you should certainly be able to with all those prizes and gongs that you have!

Moped

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the lancer evo was 4.7 without mags, and now 6.8 with... 25% on 4.7 would be 5.8... hmmmm

Told you all - I dont do no-magnets!

·
Matt Tucker
3,550 Posts
Astro
no hard and fast rules to how well a no mag car will perform against a mag car. If you have a twisty track the mag car will be much better whereas on a longer flowing track the non-mag car will often match or beat the mag car.

For any given track the easiest way to see how much diff mag makes is: get a slot it car (basically cause they run well with and w/o a mag without needing to do anything to it) run it with the mag in and time it, run it with no mag and time it. Whats the %age diff and thats a good %age benchmark for your other cars to aim at.

Matt

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
cheers matt, good tip! unfortunately I am at hug's place and I didnt bring my slot-it with me. At least the lancer is much improved than it was before, so thats a good start

1 - 15 of 15 Posts