SlotForum banner
541 - 560 of 561 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
At Gaydon, I showed the Scalextric guys my Scalextric Lotus 49 chassis which I have modified so the front part is joined to the back by a semi-flexible screw-joint which I copied from the Policar classic F1 chassis.
Without a magnet but still with the standard Scalextric motor, gears and guide, it is competitive with a genuine Policar classic F1 on my short home track and it handled well on the big Policar GP track at Gaydon, too, when I sneaked a quick run for it between races.
Scalextric’s reaction? Their customers wouldn’t like the loose chassis mounts and would send the cars back to be ‘repaired’…….!
Any chance of posting a photo of your modified chassis? Regards Greg

·
Registered
225 Posts
i would agree with this to a point. Hornby as a brand do push new technologies (in the model train world at least) but only when backed into a corner and more often than not someone else has already done (for example smoke generators, a small copy already does after market solutions but Hornby are the first to do it in RTR products). But the point is their is clearly a lack of care and thought in what they do, the good stuff is continually undermined by this approach and that's what has to change, the "it will do" attitude because people will still buy our stuff.

Nearly every flag ship product in the Hornby railways brand in the last 3 years has had fundamental faults which spoil an otherwise stunning model.
Smoke generators... not sure if this was original even then, but my trains from hornby in the 60s had this, both deliberate using an oil capsule, and unintended from the motor itself!

·
Registered
264 Posts
In keeping with suggestions for either TV or Film (Movie) related vehicles which could be offered in slotcar form, is a nice little number hailing from a small 80's Film, the car originating from 1950's,

The 1958 Porsche 356 Speedster from Top Gun.

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Only one addition needed, the driver.

Smile Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Hood

If produced, don't go and spoil it by adding any other figures, one is enough!

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle
Smile Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Hood

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Any chance of posting a photo of your modified chassis? Regards Greg
Here it is - hopefully you can see how I modified it from this shot. The original chassis is cut in a bevel shape and a braced white ‘tongue’ of plasticard is glued to the aft portion just ahead of the motor. The front axle runs in a brass tube. Front wheels and tyres are Scalextric and rears are Pendle F1 alloys with rubber tyres. The shell is a modified Scalextric, too, from the original 1970s BRM.
This was for me a cheaper option than using a Policar pod because I already had the surplus Lotus 49 chassis and running gear.
Mike
Font Engineering Space Machine Design

·
Registered
163 Posts
Here it is - hopefully you can see how I modified it from this shot. The original chassis is cut in a bevel shape and a braced white ‘tongue’ of plasticard is glued to the aft portion just ahead of the motor. The front axle runs in a brass tube. Front wheels and tyres are Scalextric and rears are Pendle F1 alloys with rubber tyres. The shell is a modified Scalextric, too, from the original 1970s BRM.
This was for me a cheaper option than using a Policar pod because I already had the surplus Lotus 49 chassis and running gear.
Mike
View attachment 313989
Thanks that looks good, I have a few Lotus 49 chassis so I will give it a go. Regards Greg

·
Registered
264 Posts
as for the 356, totally overshadowed by the American Iron in Bullitt, is Jacquelyn Bisset in her Speedster. In real life, McQueen drove and raced one very similar to the above pic.
Another excellent example, and evidence for a slotcar manufacturer of the "worth" of producing a decent Porsche 356 Speedster mould, as there are a number of different themed cars/drivers, which they could produce from the same bodyshell mould.

In lieu of Scalextric producing an actual 356 slotcar, imagine if Airfix produced a 1:32nd scale Porsche 356 Speedster Kit suitable for conversion to Slotcars, just like the Beetle. May have to start a new thread similar to Trisha's current Beetle thread, but for the 356's.

May do quite well and I think many would be keen to buy a few for conversion if accurately produced (put me down for 5, price dependant).

·
Tel
4,168 Posts
So when is the second livery of the Plymouth 'Cuda coming ?
The first has been sat waiting for it partner for an eternity, if I have months more to wait I may as well sell off the un-used first one.

It appear it wasn't a hot seller, but it needs a partner for my OCD 🤪

·
ParrotGod
11,089 Posts
I usually do not ask for old cars, especially American ones, but how about making a 66 Chevrolet Corvair Corsa ?
Even better, the Yenko Stinger Corvair?
In-line, flat interior, lighweight body.

Reactions: david950

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
The scaley Cuda just doesn't sit right, the SCX one is much better, didn't buy the scaley as I've already got the SCX #48 Gurney and #42 Savage cars.
Yep, Scaley used to have more power whereas Scx had more handling; modern Scx have both power (FR42 is like a mabuchi motor with thin plates) and handling, proof of that is the AMG sand the new Aston Martin Vantage.

Reactions: Trisha

·
Premium Member
6,151 Posts
Interesting SCX comments there, GD. I've not tried a modern vintage SCX yet. You saying worth a punt and give 'em a spin? 🤔

·
David H
4,207 Posts
The scaley Cuda just doesn't sit right, the SCX one is much better
The Scalex 'Cuda is a perfect example of Scalextric ruining a good idea. It was a great idea to produce the 'Cuda, but its execution was abysmal.

Scalex on the left, SCX on the right. Screenshot from Home Racing World's review of Scalextric's car.
Car Vehicle Tire Wheel Hood

Interesting SCX comments there, GD. I've not tried a modern vintage SCX yet. You saying worth a punt and give 'em a spin? 🤔
I don't own many recent SCX cars, Wankel, but my SCX 'Cudas bought a decade ago are still some of my favourite slot cars. Plenty of speed and decent handling too.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Toy

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Camera Digital camera Camera lens Camera accessory Reflex camera

·
ParrotGod
11,089 Posts
I wonder if they have made it so toll because of the digital chip? It looks like a completely different car than the SCX.

541 - 560 of 561 Posts