SlotForum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine brought an old suitcase round the other day which had some old Scalextric things in it.

He has asked my advice in selling this and I will emphasise now that all the money is going to a charity, neither my friend or I will benefit from any sales so I hope the moderators will allow this post.

My knowledge on old Scalextric is poor so I wonder if I could get some help on the forum about approximate values. I have looked at some completed items on ebay but I don't know if they are representative values or not. My friend wants to sell them at a sensible price he doesn't expect a lot for them but equally he doesn't want to give them away.

There is a complete bridge set with the tinplate edged piece of track and all the cardboard supports. I saw a sale on ebay of £8.50 plus postage for one.

As you can see in the picture there are also some straw bales, a few fencing pieces and a few track signs. I've no idea what these are worth.

A complete humpback bridge with the track section, walls and wooden track support. I saw a £75.00 sale of a boxed item but that sounds very expensive to me?!

Two Lotus 21 with the round pin guide. I've seen an ebay sale for £17.00 plus postage for one car.

Two Typhoon bikes with their original boxes and leaflets. I've seen unboxed Typhoons sold between £22.00 and £34.00 on ebay

Transformer and controllers. I have seen one transformer sell for £12.00 but others remain unsold.

There is also a complete set circuit of rubber track and the little metal clips, the track is not in great condition.

All the cars and bikes run when I tested them today but I doubt they will set the track alight and probably need sorting.

Any advice on a sensible price would be much appreciated but please delete this post if I am contravening any rules.

David

·
Premium Member
8,227 Posts
Nice lot David.
Typhoons are the pick for me.
Depends who you get bidding , but assuming the inners of the boxes are present at least £60 each easy.

Prices are a bit soft for the c63 Lotus. Although they weren`t sold in a set & only available for 2 years in the UK there`s quite a few about. Unboxed £20- £25 each, more if they are made in France. Again, depends on who`s bidding.

Rubber track is a difficult one. A hump back bridge which is boxed will go for good money, it is unusual to find one with the rubber walls in good condition like yours. It`s a case of taking a punt, same with the high level bridge- people like the track piece on that with the tin Scalextric logo on.

The little metal clips are quite sought after as is the track signs & fencing.

Cheers
Kev

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kev

Thanks very much for your information, that is really helpful and I will let my friend know.

David

·
Jim Moyes
5,046 Posts
QUOTE (loosesalute @ 17 Apr 2012, 16:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Prices are a bit soft for the c63 Lotus. Although they weren`t sold in a set & only available for 2 years in the UK there`s quite a few about.

What makes you say they weren't sold in a set, Kev?

I'm fairly sure my original set was rubber track with two r/e Lotus 21s much like the one that David shows here. Only mine are yellow and green - I still have them. I was only 3 when I got them though!

And I've certainly had a couple of GP33 sets through my hands over the years with varying colours of Lotus 21 paired with a Ferrari Sharknose.

·
Premium Member
8,227 Posts
Aye you`re right Mr M .
Ignore me. I`ve just checked up the loft & I`ve also got a 32 set with a Cooper & Lotus in.
Cheers
Kev

·
Living the Life&#33;
11,082 Posts
Unbelievable ........ my very first set had a transformer and throttles like those above. The throttle got very hot and very scarily smelly, you always felt that they would burst into flames as the smell intensified. I found that if you pressed your hands very hard onto the terminals you could obtain a very pleasant but mild electrical shock and hear a buzzing noise inside your head.

More voltage Egor!

·
Premium Member
8,227 Posts
We used to lick the track Greg!

If you think those throttles got hot you should try the Jouef ones. I melted one the other week just through normal use. Shouldn`t really use those old throttles nowadays.
Cheers
Kev

·
Administrator
10,131 Posts
QUOTE (GregK @ 19 Apr 2012, 19:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Unbelievable ........ my very first set had a transformer and throttles like those above. The throttle got very hot and very scarily smelly, you always felt that they would burst into flames as the smell intensified. I found that if you pressed your hands very hard onto the terminals you could obtain a very pleasant but mild electrical shock and hear a buzzing noise inside your head.

More voltage Egor!

why am I not surprised???

·
Living the Life&#33;
11,082 Posts
..... no Health & Safety in my days ....... mind you Kev, licking the track was no good as it was made of rubber ..... you got more of a kick from the transformer!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts