SlotForum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son and I did a 50 lap race with two pace cars this evening. The race went off as normal (i.e. he won) and the displayed showed all the usual after race info (laps, lap time, etc). We immediately set the race up again for a rematch.

I pressed the enter button to set the grid and then the start button to start the race. We always start the pace cars in front to give us some 1st lap traffic. The horn sounded and the cars moved out as normal. As soon as the first pace car crossed the start line the race ended. No info was displayed on the screen, the base just beeped and flashed as if the race ended and the power was cut to the track.

I shut off the base and restarted several times (can you tell I'm used to Microsoft systems...) but the same thing keeps happening. However, if I start a race and one of the user controlled cars crosses the line first, the race goes on as normal. But again, the first race we did tonight the pace cars were in front just like we always start races. Something changed after that first race.

Any ideas?

I am running software version 1.006.

·
Andrew Wallace
1,100 Posts
Sounds like a false start setting to me. There is probably a bug burried in there, which should be reproduceable on any version of the firmware, as this part hasn't changed since the 0.85 version.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, we are not using any false start penalty. What is really confusing to me is that we have been running the pace cars in front of the driver cars pretty much ever since Santa brought us the APB a year ago. Now all of a sudden something seems to have changed.

Andy, just let me know what you want me to try and I'll be happy to be the test monkey. At first I thought it might be the chip in the car, so we tried a bunch of different cars as pace cars (including the cars the were the 'driver' cars) and got the same result. Our layout has the cars going across the sensors first, then the white line. All of the chips are retrofit style (as opposed to dpr), some F1 style and some saloon style.

·
Andrew Wallace
1,100 Posts
Its not the chip - there is something wrong with the powerbase race logic, which is causing the race to end prematurely. The reason I thought of "false start" is that the old powerbase use to report "no cars" if you had the false start option enabled and a pacer crossed the start line first. It would then immediately stop the race. Sound similar?!
Have you changed any of the settings at all on the powerbase? Perhaps using a different race mode? Something must have triggered the change in behaviour.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I have occationaly had this issue. Strage thing was moving to rendurance racing seemed to get rid of it as it only occoured during Gend Prix races. Also had some really strange effects if the braids are not near perfect. My suggestion is check the braids and use a Bit of INOX electrical noise could be an issue. Have to say the issue was intermittent and I never did get to the bottom of it. However not had it recently so it may be a "noise issue",
as I keep the braids better (i.e. I don't crash quite so often).

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had not tried changing the race setting yet, so I just did that. I switched to an endurance event and everything was fine. I switched back to the F1 event and everything had returned to normal. You have love those intermittent glitches!!

As always, Thanks a bunch for the help!

·
Greg Gaub
14,987 Posts
Good to know how to get out of the glitch. Hopefully Andrew can get to the bottom of it some day. I wonder how long his to-do list is? ;-)

·
Registered
299 Posts
And every addition to the list is always prefixed with the word "JUST".........

·
Registered
239 Posts
It's obvious that you know my wife. But considering you live across the Pond I don't think I need to be worried! Or do I?

·
WRP World Champ 2015/2016
4,284 Posts
Know the problem well.

I often ask my boss "which of my number 1 priorities is most important?"

Usual answer "all of them" usually delivered seriously and with conviction.

Glad to see all ok now, sjc.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi SJC115,

Not a new problem. I've encountered this very same thing, and would happen randomly after resetting. Resetting is the trick. I had to disconnect SSSD cable; shut down the apb. Sometimes it would reset and work normally, other times I had to do the same thing, but instead of shutting down the apb, I went into the reset mode in the apb, and reset it from there, then I reconnected SSDC, and all worked fine. Like I said this happens randomly. All I could think of is that there's something with the SSDC software that has an effect on the apb.

rob

·
Registered
80 Posts
rob,

I'm not using SSDC at the moment (need to get a computer dedicated to the track since my PC is in another room), just the powerbase LCD. The problem actually came back and seems to be permanent now. I started a new topic since this one got sidetracked a little after we thought the problem was solved: http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?...mp;#entry665842

1 - 14 of 14 Posts