SlotForum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
The tyres are probably the biggest letdown, along with a relatively weak motor. I did the following changes to mine and now it runs very well non-mag:

Scalextric C8420 Sport guide with the spring removed
Slot.it SIMS06 21.5k motor
Slot.it rear axle with a 27t inline crown (the M2 screw needs to be trimmed down a bit, otherwise it'll rub on the body)
glued tyres from the FLY 88260 Saleen (Michelin markings)

Now it looks like before, with proper tyre markings and runs way better. Thinking about a Slot.it upgrade on the wheels and tyres once the Slot.it Lola comes out.

·
Registered
483 Posts
agreed. I made simular mods to mine, with the addition of 20k shark, nsr 17mm wheels and brm 20x11 rubber. very fast after these changes, and very well behaived - light too.

·
Bill Beggs
1,947 Posts
Scalextric C8420 Sport guide with the spring removed
Slot.it SIMS06 21.5k motor
Slot.it rear axle with a 27t inline crown (the M2 screw needs to be trimmed down a bit, otherwise it'll rub on the body)
glued tyres from the FLY 88260 Saleen (Michelin markings)

With all these changes require why buy the car in the first place? Are the changes needed to run with other brands?

We race Scaley LMPs against each other on wood. Only change is to S2 tires. On some they fit the Scaley wheels. On others we turn down the knurled ends and fit Slot.It wheels and tires. A fun series.

As well all these changes cost more than the cars is worth. We had been picking these cars up for $30 BNIB. Why spend $50-60 on changes?

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Those changes are not required. You can have fun with the car as it is. If I want it to run the way I like, I do those changes, because they are worth it for me.

Anyway, the above list with Slot.it tyres will set you back about 25 GBP. It's up to everyone what they want to do with their cars - to each his own.

·
Nobby Berkshire
2,015 Posts
If you are going to buy one then get it quickly as they are selling fast.

There's no need to change the guide or the motor. As far as the motor goes I have standard 18000rpm Mabuchi Scalex and Fly motors than are in faster cars than those with upwards of 20Krpm SlotIt motors. Without the magnet it'll travel faster than with it (until it gets to the corners). Motors do not alone make a car faster as this is also relational to tyres, track layout and controllers, and other factors that vary from car-to-car.

But change the tyres as Scalex tyres lack grip. However, Fly tyres will not fit the hubs as the central spine is a different width. You'll have to either glue them on, or fit wire gap-fillers. Some people use tiny DIY water supply grommets that are used in household taps and garden hosepipe systems. If your repalcement tyres are not snug on your hubs then you'll get trashy performance.

Alternatively why not leave the car as it is, remove the magnet and replace the lost downforce with lead weight?

But get the car if you like it before it's sold out and the Ebay ripoff merchants start selling at silly prices.

Or, if SlotIt are going to make one, why not save a few $$$ and wait for that as it'll be a much better performer than the Scalextric version based on their previous releases.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts