SlotForum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm currently planning my first board layout. My space is small and the layout needs to be dismantlable (is that a word?) So I plan to make two boards that separate and form an L shape when in use, I know this could be problematic and someone has already suggested to me that a routed track would have many advantages, but currently that doesn't appeal to me for some reason, at least I want to try this first and I have seen it done successfully on this forum and others during my research.

As far as the layout goes I keep tinkering with two themes, the first is a figure of 8 in the shape of a treble clef! (see track 2) sorry it wont let me insert photo for some reason
And Track 1 that has no elevation changes.

Im tempted not to have elevation changes to keep things simpler and make the whole thing more compact for storage. But on the othe side I like the longer straight away that the figure of 8 allows and the potential for some fun modelling landscaping with bridges and hills etc.

Note: the designs are not perfect , for instance the figure of eight would have the home straight underneath and not above as the picture currently shows . Also I realise that the curved lange changer is problematic for reasons of compatibility and positioning of the sensor after the bend is not ideal. Ive not used digital yet but i do have a 4 car PB now yet unused but ive been tring to research.

Please any feedback whatsoever would be much appreciated!

Attachments

· ParrotGod
12,512 Posts
I like both layouts. You are off with a good start.
Given the space, I believe you have got some good ideas.
Maybe I would go for the flat one because it has a bit more length and variety.
The 4 car PB is not the best, but if you want to do some laps just by yourself that is capable enough.
Otherwise, I would recommend to get an APB.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I know they are quite different and I’m leaning towards track 1 myself but am used to having the long straights on my rug layouts up to now so I’m a bit torn! I will probably try out both layouts and maybe tweak them when the boards are made.
I’ve never done any modelling of scenery before but I’m excited to try and have been getting lots of enjoyment and inspiration from others pictures online. The other thing that worries me about track 1 is the lack of space between the track to contour and add scenery and make my own track run off aprons.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts