SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ..... the long awaited Green Essex RS Spyder arrived just before Easter and I have to say that I am not impressed with the overall finish of the car. Essentially everything that isn't plain green or plain white is a decal (over half of the car) and they show badly. It looks as though the final clear coats have not been applied.

When I contacted Pendles they checked their stock to find exactly the same and immediately offered a refund. Scalextric offered the same advice and promised to check on the production as no one had noticed this before.

So if this is a production problem, how long might it take to fix it ........ I've waited a long time for this car

·
David H
3,900 Posts
Save yourself a lot of heartache, Greg, return the Scalextric car and buy Avant Slot's version instead. Scalextric's model looks nothing like the real car as Scalextric has slapped a 2009 livery on a very old body style. You'll pay a little bit more for the Avant Slot model, but you'll be very happy with it; nicely and far more accurately modelled, better quality components, better performance. If you're patient, you'll get a new one on eBay for less than £35.

I've only recently started buying Avant Slot cars, but have been very pleased with them. Their performance is a match for Slot.it and their body detailing and especially paint and decal finish is noticeably superior to Slot.it's.

·
Premium Member
11,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
...... not only is the finish well dodgy, even the little red fire extinguisher is missing. I suppose I should be grateful that it didn't arrive with four little bricks and missing wheels

ps Essex livery ............... sorry if anyone found this offensive!

·
David H
3,900 Posts
QUOTE (strongbow @ 10 Apr 2012, 20:23) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If only it wasn't for the tiny driver figures and small wheels...
sad.gif
How much bigger do you want the driver? Sure doesn't look tiny to me. Nor are the wheels far off, and they're a lot better than Scalextric's pitiful attempt, with its tiny little wheel in a huge rear wheel arch.

Yes, I know this isn't the livery GregK is talking about, but it's the same car and model underneath. It's definitely not Scalextric's finest hour.

Avant Slot
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive design

Tire Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

Scalextric
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Scalextric (picture copied from SlotForum Retailers' News thread here)
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive design

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Attachments

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Yes, the Scalextric car is just wrong in many ways and Avant Slot seems to get better with every new release. However the helmet has a funny egg shape and the wheels are too small for me and I'm no rivet counting person. Though a very big improvement on the R10 proportion wise:

Image from carrera-showroom.de.

·
Premium Member
11,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you look at the photo of the Scalextric Spyder you can see what I am talking about ............ look at the way the green & white does not have any sheen on the back of the car compared to the green behind the driver, it is quite matt. Also look at the nose up to the cockpit ....... again no shine compared to the green next to the driver left ear.

·
Bill Beggs
1,947 Posts
For $30-$35 what do you want? Consider the faded paint a raced version. Only problem I have had with this car was a couple with poor crown gears which were replaced by distributor. These Porsches will take a Slot.It S2 tire with no modification. Makes for one fast smooth car on wood.

·
Registered
325 Posts
QUOTE (Black3sr @ 11 Apr 2012, 09:04) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>For $30-$35 what do you want? Consider the faded paint a raced version. Only problem I have had with this car was a couple with poor crown gears which were replaced by distributor. These Porsches will take a Slot.It S2 tire with no modification. Makes for one fast smooth car on wood.

So where do you get one of these for $30 ??? You won't even find them for 30 EUROS (40USD, don't know the rate of your CAN$)...

I find your comment rather annoying. We know what the quality of the printing on all contemporary Scalexric cars is, after all they set the standard some years back.

So to get a new car priced the same as the rest of the range, of which the outcome of the livery measured by the Scalextric quality standards as we have come to know them is clearly flawed, it can only mean two things:

1. A production fault, or:
2. A lowered manufacturing standard to reduce production cost.

So it is very good to investigate which one it comes down to...

Now the price is definitely not as low as you suggest. If it was, then (but only then) you could have a point, (because Scalextric would have lowered the price as a result of lowered quality) but since it isn't, the regular Scalextric customer (i.e. you and me and many of the good people here at the forum) know EXACTLY what to expect: the same high standard as always!

Your comment of "what do you want..." is therefore in my opinion, utter bollocks!

Martin

·
Premium Member
11,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE Consider the faded paint a raced version
I would have done that if all of the paint work was the same and if the two decals either side of the nose cone did not look like postage stamps.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yikes...I've got a couple of these C3197 Porsche Spyders reserved for me at Pendles. Seems like I should wait before handing over the hard-earned, to see if Scalextric address the issues raised in this thread.

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
Hope they get this sorted soon as I've now got the other 4 spyders in the range and would like to add this to the collection.

I would also like Scalextric to do this one so that there are six different liveries

·
Registered
53 Posts
I asked Pendles to hold my order and now they have told me that Scalextric will NOT be replacing the bodies on this car.

Now I don't know whether to cancel my order or what to do.

Is the finish on this car really THAT bad?

·
Premium Member
11,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have waited patiently for this model and ordered it as soon as I heard it was released. The order arrived the next day along with a Police Mini and a D-Type jag.

The solid white was nice and shiny as was the solid green ........ but the chequers were quite dull and stood out. The Michelin men on the front looked like postage stamps. It was quite clear that the lacquer that should have covered the decals was nowhere to be seen. It seems I was naively under the impression that all Scalextric cars where tampo printed.

As much as I wanted this car, I did not want a "seconds" quality and certainly not at the price. Pendles also checked their stock and all the cars appeared to be the same. I visited my local Hornby dealer and his cars were the same and when I phoned the sniffy Hornby Help line .......... "No one else has complained - return it for a refund" is what the man said then clunk went the phone ....... oh dear.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts