SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Have a look at the latest race report posted by Adrian Norman on the Scalextric website. 34 Hornby Scalextric F1 cars all set up to run without magnets on SPORT track and achieving 10 second laps on a 40m track, and all with standard Hornby Scalextric running gear!

If these guys can do it why can't some of the folk here?

The story consigns all the comments posted by Slotforum members about Hornby needing to improve their running gear to the recycling bin. Its not the cars that need improving but the racing and driving skills of Slotforum members!

Moped

(Time for a sharp exit....)

·
Graham Windle
4,445 Posts
All hail to moped greatest non magnet driver of the century

post a link to where this info comes from please and more details of the track ie does it have more than 2 straights and 2 corners then bring your hornby car to the wolverhampton porsche challenge round ,and take it home demoralised

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Actually some of us are the ones going to these events.

The series that you are refering to is the European Grand Prix Series, I believe.

It has been run with SCX F1, Ninco GT and Hornby F1.

When it was run with SCX F1 and Ninco GT numbers were up to 110 people at each event. Now it has become Hornby F1 there are up to 40 at each event.

Shows how much everyone loves Hornby cars eh?

Oh and just to show how amazing these cars are, one of our members brought down the car which came second overall at the British event, and my Ninco F1 pissed all over it. And I mean about a second over a 10 second lap.

Once again, you have been the victim of mis-information, or pure lack of knowledge of what you are talking about.

McLaren

PS. Since I replied to this post, you now have 2 free "stupid posts" where you can say the most ridiculous things under the sun, and I will not contradict you. I'm trying to cut down on my Moped bashing...

·
Graham Windle
4,445 Posts
QUOTE Cars were run with no magnet, added weight if desired (most drivers did add weight), standard Scalextric motors and components were obligatory but guide blades could be changed. Careful preparation to the rear axle and tyres was essential.

the above quote is from the scaley web site and just adds to what andy has pointed out .more moped misinformation

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
QUOTE Cars were run with no magnet, added weight if desired (most drivers did add weight), standard Scalextric motors and components were obligatory but guide blades could be changed. Careful preparation to the rear axle and tyres was essential.

They didn't change much!?

Sorry but the performance of Scalextric cars without magnets falls short of rival products.

Full article here.

Jamie

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
QUOTE Its not the cars that need improving but the racing and driving skills of Slotforum members

Were you not the driver to loose unceramoniously to Graham's no magnet car, whilst driving a super magnet car?

Graham is one of the best in the country, and I can also vouch for a number of other members of SF. That is not a good line to use if you want anyone to listen to you.

More info on the cars run at the GP. Yes, they all had weight. I think 25 grams was recorded for one of the finalists cars. That amount would make Chris Briggs worry...
. Some also had wider axels installed from the Scaley Indy cars, most used Indy car tyres too. I heard of some people buying 5 cars to find the best back axel and motor, and still having to do work to them. They were glued and trued, and Ninco guides were installed in most (if not all) of the cars, and certainly in the front runners.

They were by no means standard, and had all of the usual mods that we do to them. So in fact, your point was:

"If you modify a Scalextric car like you usually do, it will be as fast as it usually is"

Nice one Moped, on our side at last!!

Nice to hear from you again, I expect you will disappear without a trace again now, until this thread disappears too. Go on, I dare you to reply.... Yeah, I didn't think so.

Mclaren

·
Registered
480 Posts
Sorry Moped but for someboby who dosen't got to a club track you've got some front to come out with with this!

As I said on your other recent post on things you know nothing about, stick to playing with your scalex track on your bedroom floor!

GOD, HE'S GOING TO BE UNBEARIBLE WHEN DIGITAL FINALLY COMES OUT!!!!

NOTE
This post has already been moderated and might yet be removed.
Take it easy, lobsterboy.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Of course you can run any make of car without magnets but guys who want to win use the best tool for the job and that aint a scaley F1. It`s fine if you resrtict a class down to one make as this will have a desired effect but given a free choice there is as of this moment not one, not one Scaley car that is competitive against other brands when used in a non mag class.

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
I am going to try not to be seen to spring to Moped or Hornby's defence - they can each do that for themselves - but I think Hornby F1 cars without magnets are smooth and fun to drive.

I even suggested a class for them (plus the similarly narrow tracked Carrara Ferrari) at Liphook. There were howls of derision, but as ever, race similarly performing cars against each other and you have a good class.

As for Hornby against other brands I think that unless you have equally narrow rear axels it is an unfair comparison. In any case, why bother -just have another class with Ninco F1 and another with SCX and so on.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ecurie Ecosse has hit the nail on the head perfectly.

For all the rantings and ravings of others he has bought everybody back to reality and the best way is to have one make classes at clubs rather than attempting to race SCX against Ninco against Fly, etc etc. I would even go so far as to say they should be one model classes.

Then you have very even and competitive racing.

If this becomes the focus then every brand argument in history gets consigned to the great slot car circuit in the sky.

It is the club racers here at Slotforum that rant on about what they want because their rules permit the mixing of brands on the track which inevitably leads to every club racer buying the fastest or quickest car around at that particular time to the exclusion of anything else.

Remember folks that there are a lot of other things that matter to the great mass of the populous that may not matter to the club racer so compromise is the key word. Club racers don't want detail or full interiors or lights as examples as this all adds weight to the car. I can go on.

With a bit of restraint and common sense applied to club rules then you can have a lot of fun with any brand of slot car with or without magnets, even at a club!

Moped

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Well done Moped, you have stated a fact more obvious than a giant pink elephant riding the bus.

"If everyone uses the same equiptment, everyone should (in theory) be competitive."

Unfortunatly, that's crap, and everyone knows it is.

You will find the rich and skilled will always win, when the main advantage to be had is by better car preparation.

Anyway around the fact, you are still admitting that Scalextric cars are carp, and can only be competitive when compared to themselves. This is not the case for other manufacturers, who all produce at least one car which dominates it's catagory.

Another point to make is that Scalextric have yet to produce a "Race" version of any of their cars, unlike every other popular (in our area) manufacturer. Fly with Racer, Ninco with Prorace, Slot.It with every car they make, SCX with the funny Dome Judd thing (and Pro-Turbo motors).

Scalextric have given us cardboard boxes, and a sticker on the motor. It is widely known that Sport cars run no faster than standard.

Scalextric are not aiming for the club racers market, and why should they?

They have enough business as it is making cars for kids. And I have no problem with that... until someone asks me why I don't run Scalextric cars. And then I tell them it's because they are no made for the purpose that I want to use them for, which is racing.

QUOTE you can have a lot of fun with any brand of slot car

I don't have fun when driving inconsistant cars, which hop, and aren't really any good. I have fun when driving a smooth, consistant and quick car.

McLaren

PS. Ecurie Ecosse: Why, oh why, oh why......

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QUOTE I have fun when driving a smooth, consistant and quick car.

That just about describes every Scaley car I own. Most of the other brands owned fail in a least one of those 3 areas (either not smooth, not consistent or not quick. A car cannot be quick if it comes to a standstill through mechanical failure or if the tyres rub).

Moped

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Then I am willing to buy any of your Scalextric cars that you think are quicker, smoother and more consistant than any one of my cars. I will pay you double the RRP. Where and when shall we meet for a test?

McLaren

·
Registered
317 Posts
Moped has a point. Most of my cars are Scaley - I have only had one that caused a problem (the retaining screw on the box was applied so tightly it pulled the chassis down and popped the rear axle out). All of the cars run very smoothly - only one car runs smoother - it a Carrera, but its pretty slow.

The Merc CLKs that I own are particularly good.

I do not own any F1s, but I was under the impression the some people spoke very highly of the Renault. (Could be badly mistaken though)

I'm not overly keen of the sheer power of the magnets used - but this is easily rectified.

Obviously all of this is IMHO - I appreciate everybody else point of view.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Maybe the thread heading for this should have been that Scaley cars can race other Scaley cars without mags....oh yes nobody is really shocked! Mope it`s just the style of the way you write that winds people up as in person you make a much better reasoned argument, in my experience.

It`s pointless placing club racers against home racers...we all enjoy one great hobby. Having said that if a statement includes the word RACE then I feel sure that we all undertand what that means? The aim of a race is to win/at least be competitive. In this respect any experienced racer is going to raise the point of which cars go the best, in their experience.

It seems that whenever we start a thread it can go off at very different angles because this can be a very diverse hobby. You almost have to immediately set the parameters to which the cars run in your description, this means we are all working off the same sheet of music.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Sorry Jonny but I disagree with the comments made.

Its one thing to have a race but quite another to match up 34 cars in an international competition. Whether it be Scalextric or SCX or Fly of Ninco the easiest way is to run the same cars. Did you not do this in "Short Circuits"?

And there is no doubt that all the non magnet cars in the Scalextric contest in Belgium would have been scrutineered to ensure they all had standard Scalextric components. You could have given the drivers 34 Ninco F1 cars or 34 SCX F1 cars or 34 Carrera F1 cars and the result may well have been the same. Its all relative.

And a race does not require quick cars. It requires cars. And if they are all the same the challenge for the driver is that much greater.

What challenge is there for the driver when you put up a Fly lightweight racer against a Vanquish MG Lola?
None really. And of all the club meets I have been to I have yet to see either a Vanquish MG car or a Carrera car or an SCX car used in a race. Basically the choice of cars for club racing under the rules of many clubs is very limited because everybody wants the quickest and this is a bad thing IMHO.

Its up to the clubs to come up with rules that allow fans of SCX and Carrera and Vanquish MG cars to have a bit of fun, as well as Scalextric cars of course!

And I still think that 40 metres in 10 seconds on a Scaley SPORT circuit with a non magnet Scaley F1 or Indy car is some going so well done to those who took part and achieved these sort of times.

Moped

1 - 20 of 34 Posts