Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know you guys have probably talked this to death
but forgive me as a newcomer
is this any good as ive read some rather disconcerting reports that people just cant get the thing to run properly
thinking of investing just for the hell of it any just wanted to know if its worth the money and if it gives the pleasure the literature professes??

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
its good, its worth the money.

Most people find it takes a bit of work to get it going well (truing tyres, cleaning track, maybe even altering the circuit a bit). It is not necessarilly going to be faster than your other cars, but it is fun and consistent.

Do a search for challenger on this forum to find lengthy discussions, opinions and so on, as well as a review in the review section.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I for one love the little thing.

If you follow the guidelines on this website for getting up and going its a doddle,
just set it to classic - put some silicon tyres on it and go play !.

The one thing not mentioned in the guide on here is double check all your
connections. I found it was coming out of one R2 (90 degree) bend onto the
main straight way to slow and just thought it was being crap. After some checking
found the connection was not top notch and the bend did not have full power.
Now the challenger being a computer does not notice this and just floor the
throttle like you or I - it simple goes sloooooooow.

So if you see it taking a bend a little slow check the power at that part of the
circuit - normally does the trick.

Other thing to remember is what type of car it is , its a saloony GT car , don't
expect it to keep up with your F1's they will blow it away. (Mine take 1/2 lap per
lap on it).
A GT40 or Mclaren GTR with you in the slower lane - then you got a race.
I've got two Fly models (Classic Porcshe Flunders) where I have to push
solid to stay on the same lap no mind win - so it is quick , but just can't keep
up with super fast/super modified cars.

errr. on top of that cross overs , squeeze chicanes and those r1 bends that
squeeze in before hand - its best to avoid them - its a robot with no sensors and
will take you out everytime and you will join the many posters complaining of
Challenger carnage.

my god i've typed alot , anyway - get one and enjoy !
I raced against mine for 3hr yesterday and loved every minute.

Chris

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cheers astro
is it as good when u have a track which at the moment has to be dismantled as yet we havent quite got the loft converted
and after seeing the track pheonix have i think the loft conversion took a massive step back to the drawing board as the lil one wants one that big !!!!!!!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Or you can save money by trying a "do it yourself" challenger.

Take a roll of thin tape. Run your car, note your lift points, lay down some tape on one rail. With a little work you will dial in that car to a perfect lap. No brakes, but you will be amazed at how difficult it is to catch and pass with a similar car.

Roll of tape for a few pennies: pennies
Challenger: money you could buy cars with.

Learning how to race against someone who never makes a mistake and is RUDE: priceless.

Fate

·
Registered
22 Posts
Try it, you'll like it. I think its a great deal of fun. Race against it with a car of like speed or less and you will find it is hard to beat. I had absolutely no problems with getting mine to work properly from the outset. Well worth the money.

·
Registered
150 Posts
The Challenger is best avoided on R1 hairpins (180 degree), as mine goes all over the shop even on slow setting. The thing would definitely be deslotted on fast setting!! I race mine with a Focus rally car and that's a pretty good match. It could be pretty challenging over 50 laps because the Challenger is always consistent, especially if you lose concentration or getting tired.

Whatever you do, just don't deslot your own car and land onto the challenger's slot, as I found out the hard way: my focus deslotted at the beginning of the long straight after a corner and unfortunately slotted right into the wrong track.....BOOOM. It accelerated to top speed all the way and flew straight off into the wall, and that happened to me three times in one night!! Not pretty..

It's definitely fun to play with, I'd say it's worth the money, although you can't take it too seriously since it's only a mindless little beast!

·
Registered
300 Posts
hmmm , mine flys through r1 (sport track) hairpins - wonder
what the difference is ?

Have you put some silicon tyres on it yet ? , seems to make all the difference
in my eyes.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hmmm, silicon tyres? Haven't thought of that. Cheers for the advice Chris! Really though I was hoping the car would work perfectly bog-standard, oh well, nothing is ever perfect.

By the way, have you made any more mods or enhancement on your challenger?

·
Registered
300 Posts
QUOTE (FZR1000Exup @ 30 Mar 2004, 18:10)By the way, have you made any more mods or enhancement on your challenger?

Besides knocking out a front head light and making the rear wing wobbly no.

I was looking at it and I don't think you can transfer it to another car or upgrade
the motor. It seems that the car has a kinda preset top speed it reckons it
should be able to get through any bend and trys to achieve it.
However if the car begins to slide (have you noticed it rarely does) it backs off
a little - this is how it adapts to dirty/slippy tracks.
The silicon tyres just give it that extra grip so it can achieve these top speeds
more often.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
it's not as clever as you think. when it begins to slide it puts the sensors out so it crashes. There is nothing that clever about it, I have plans for mine when it returns so watch this space.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I think Inte is absolutely correct - the car does not seem to be very smart at all - considering the recent development in microprocessors - it might be a bit of a disapointment. Now I have only seen them in action - not tried one succesfully myself so far. I got one but it was broken and has been sent to the manufacturer. Have yet to receive it back... Will test it further when it comes back.

//peter

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
We should have challenger races!

I'm not sure how much work you can do to them, but just imagine. No driver factor, so it's even more fair than Proxy racing. Wow, I can just see it now... 8 challengers lining up... Wouldn't need any marshalls either... could go and get a pint while they finished the race... tehe

Can't you just import a little mexican kid and teach him to race? That would have to be the cheapest option.

Lotus

PS. Sorry if any Mexicans took offence at that, I'm just trying to help your economy.

·
Registered
26 Posts
When 1st trying my challenger i found it it coming of a lot, so i changed the tyres and found it stayed on longer but still could not get it to stay on for a full 25 laps even after cleaning the track and tyres a number times,so i tried adding another magnet, found that did the trick. Its great now r1 bends 180 as i've got on my track 3off no problem. having great fun chasing it with my audi r8 no mag.

·
DT
5,195 Posts
Just to add a point about the guide. We've noticed that sometimes the car will bounce out of it's slot especially on a long straight.

As Spring moves on and the days are getting warmer. I find my track moving a bit on my table. The long straight is far from smooth and the bumps (Scalextric Sport) are like cavitation ridges in a dirt road causing the Challenger to deslot two thirds of the way down the straight and crash off into the sand trap at the end.

To prevent this, make the guide bigger by squeezing in a vice. Works fine now.

Here is the 'before' and 'after':

·
Registered
420 Posts
wow - so simple and so elegant...

thanks for the fantastic tip nuro

next step is to find out how to chip it.... I can see a future with bluetooth and a laptop next to the track.....

then the proposed challenger race would be genuinly.... eh... challenging...

//peter

1 - 18 of 18 Posts