5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Reference No: C3289
Type: Single car, crystal box
Class: Endurance
Availability: 2012

Features: High detail. Magnatraction. Quick-change guide blade. DPR

History
The famous 24 Hours of Daytona race, currently known as the Rolex 24 At Daytona for sponsorship reasons, is a 24-hour sports car endurance race held annually at Daytona International Speedway in Daytona Beach, Florida since 1966. It is run on a 3.56-mile (5.73 km) combined road course, utilizing portions of the NASCAR tri-oval and an infield road course. Since its inception, it has been held the last weekend of January or first weekend of February, part of Speedweeks, and it is the first major automobile race of the year in the United States.

In 2011, Stevenson Camaro GT.R didn't win the Rolex 24 hour race at Daytona but they still did donuts. Despite setbacks, Stevenson Camaro keeps going to finish just outside the top 10. In the end, they finished in 12th place, but when Robin Liddell started 7th on the grid at the Rolex 24 Hours at Daytona, the opening round of the 2011 Grand-Am Rolex Sports Car Series presented by Crown Royal Cask No.16 season, the man knew he wasn't where he really wanted to be. When the green flag waved to start the race, Liddell, in the Stevenson Motorsports Chevrolet Camaro GT.R No. 57, decided the best time to improve his position was now, rather than later. At the end of lap one, he had the Camaro up to fourth place, and quickly found himself drafting three Porsche race cars on the steep Daytona International Speedway banking. By the second lap he was in third place and by the end of lap three he had moved to the place he really wanted to be all along, in first.

Liddell would hold onto the lead in the GT class for a glorious 23 laps until he experienced electrical fuel pressure issues which forced him off track and into the garage.

The donuts? The team called the driver in to the pits for tyres, fuel and donuts! A comical video on the Internet can be found of the team jokingly stuffing a donut in through the driver's race helmet - the team still finding time for fun despite their disappointing finish to the race.

Scalextric Chevrolet Camaro GT-R - Stevenson Motorsport No.57 - AVAILABLE SOON - Pre-order NOW!

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
I've just posted in this thread and it would appear to have disappeared ....... most bizare, that's twice in the last week, oh well.

Nice looking car ................ are there any more planned releases from this mould that you know about??

·
Registered
483 Posts
'suitable for c187 banked curves' or what? I'll be getting one for sure, then lowering it like crazy as I did my fr500c mustang. Other than the ride height both she looks the business and will look great on my track

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
The ride height is an issue. However, I think I can see something else.

Oh that's it... Even if I were a flag waving American race fan who got up every morning to the national anthem and had a bowtie tattooed on my Adam's apple, there are approximately 17 million slot cars I'd be more excited about than this one.

It's like releasing a curiously-not-quite-right model of drizzle.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
is it a sidewinder? if its an inline, all you can do is a body drop and possibly a chassis drop in the front. it will need major work on the rear[slot it pod]to drop the rear chassis if it is inline. haveing said all that, it doesn,t interest me at all. i preffer the older models of these cars, more character, john

·
Registered
290 Posts
I kind of like it.
It does appeal to me more than Ninco's solid body black window Ninco1 version.
A little surgery on the ride height and she'll be right.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Another great model from scalextric who produce a wide range of models to cater for everyone.
If it goes as well as the mustang it will be a great racer straight out of the box.
If Im right in thinking all the production work for the real car was done by holdens.
The floor pan is basicaly a holden commodore.

·
DT
5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
CHEVROLET CAMARO GT-R Stevenson Motorsport SUNOCO No.6

Drivers: Matt Bell and Jeff Bucknum

Reference No: C3258
Type: Single car, crystal box
Class: Endurance
Availability: October 2012

·
Registered
203 Posts
Are the windows just black painted bodywork or are the separatly as on high detail cars and just done black??? If they are separat there is the (expensive) possibility to buy the high detail car to change the interior and windows of the SUNOCO one to high detail and sell the other one cheaper on ebay...

Does anyone know???

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
dont know about that. but it sure makes a lightweight body for racing. but what i object to is the high price you have to pay for these, with half the parts missing. have you noticed scaley, ninco, carrera, ect seem to have an aversion to having cars with low ride heights. john

·
Registered
483 Posts
It'll be a job to lower one, we just got ours in and without looking too far into it, it'll need lower profile tyres, front axle raised (the guide sits very shallow in the slot), and i dare say a fair amount of inner gaurd fettling. Oh well, I'm up for it! For the record it needs to be lowered a mile to get the front splitter sitting where i want it to.

I don't know what the go is with the raised ride height, i understand the whole banked curve thing, but for scalextric, how many steep banked curves do they turnover? I can't imagine the number being high enough to warrant sacraficing scale appearance surely? Perhaps it's to do with ease of design and manufacture?

Anyway, thanks scalextric for producing a car that is not the same old stuff.

·
Registered
88 Posts
On the #57, you might as well do something to the rear end, it is pure junk. Bushing are not tight in the chassis and it has the usual slop between the axle and bushing, resulting in major movement in the rear. Worse Scaley chassis along with the Stillen GT-R. Haven't seen the Sunoco Camaro yet. Very disappointed with the Camaro out of the box.

Buster

·
Registered
483 Posts
Please allow me to retract a previous statement I made on this car. The guide does in fact sit nicely in the slot when in standard form. In standard form the car is quite good, the new compound tyres are offering very good grip non-mag on wood. I have been lowering this car and I'm finding the interior a time consuming mission. Once complete I'll post a pic or two, it's amazing the difference a mm or two makes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts