Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

Does anybody know about scalextric classic contollers. the ones that were sold in the seventies and eightes. I have a few and some you have to move the trigger a long way to get a fair amount of drive to the car, others you just have to touch the trigger and the car shoots off the corners.
Is there any easy way to tell one from another without plugging them in and trying them on the track.

I have them in four colours and some have black triggers and some have red triggers. I am trying to find four that are all the same for the layout that I am building.

70s_Scalex

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have a Le Mans set from the early 80's. That came with a Red controller (black trigger) and a Blak controller (red trigger). Both operate the same, but don't offer a great deal of control.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I don't know anything about the classic controllers, but from what I know about controllers in general, they probably have different ohm resisters in them.

When the trigger is at rest, there is infinite resistance, when fully pulled, 0 ohms. But when the trigger is pulled just a bit, so the contact comes off the end stop and on to the begining of the resistor, you will have the full resistance of the resistor. (cars may not move at this point.)

If you have a multimeter, you could test this. If you take the controller apart, the resistance may be written on the resistor.

Common values for this is 60 ohms (you have to pull the trigger a lot to make the car move), 45 ohms and 25 ohms (pull the trigger a bit and the car races away)

·
Registered
458 Posts
ooh i know!!!! i pulled a load of them apart! some of them are 35ohm resistors, whereas the others are 60 if you look on the resistor theres a little number

1 - 5 of 5 Posts