Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered both of the new Scalextric 1950's F1 cars last night. Wasn't sure of the difference, but went with the "sport" version. I will be running them on classic track. I feel a proper beginning for these will be to build a Silverstone track and have the Vanwall fly off the track at full speed. I will then have it run over a young Bernie as he picks the pockets of the other spectators. Leaving him brain dead and with a bad haircut for life. I have a child figure, but think I will go down to the local pond and find a leech for added realism. Any one have a Siverstone track plan for classic track?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Just to remind folk it has to be a track plan for Silverstone as it was in the 1950's, before they put all those corners in the middle of long straights and chicanes all over the place to slow things down. As I recall it was a very simple ciruit.

Moped

·
Registered
1,333 Posts

Silverstone
1952-1974

Quite an awkward shape. The trouble is, this usually results in the track taking up a large amount of space, especially if you want a half decent straight.

Always used to enjoy building real racing circuits; Silverstone like many others makes an enjoyable slot car track - The only exception, was Monza which was rather boring unless you build the track with the banking. woohoo!

I always found that if you have enough room, a good idea is to mix standard curves and outer curves, outer curves for the old Woodcote bend etc. Mixed bends make a track more interesting & challenging!

All the best

Jamie

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hi

Monza is boring? Sheesh, what is wrong with me, it is one of my favorites. That big L shape, long sweeper onto the main. Love that track.

Between 72 and 96, I had the only local track. And I HATE home track advantage. So, for that period, we would race twice a month, and each race we would VOTE on the next layout that I would put up for the race. Conference tablew with folding legs and a 12x24 garage, I had some room. So, put up and clean the track(4 lane revell) the day before. AND RACE. Lots of fun that way.

But monza was FUN!

Fate

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Has anyone ever tried to recreate Spa with correct altitude changes?

I used to race on a track with a mirror image of Laguna Seca's infamous corkscrew section, complete with changes in altitude and banking. It was a very nice section to drive and smooth as anything, but it wouldn't have a patch on Eua Rouge...

McLaren

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
This is a fun Brands Hatch track that a friend and I put down one afternoon in the early 90s.

I agree with Prof Fate that fast slot tracks like Monza are far from boring and to get a very fast sweeping corner right is a lot more difficult than the slower twiddly stuff.

David

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
The trouble was my memory was tormented by many hours lost as a nipper struggling to reconstruct Monza in all its glory (on the bedroom floor). I don't think I could fit enough straights to do the track justice as you guys have done.

The nearest to reconstructing Spa was a track I built years ago based on Rouen-les-Essarts. This track famed for its succession of downhill left right sweepers that ultimately led into the cobbled hairpin Nouveau Monde. To model this track, I raised the track slightly, also combined with banked bends, the track was gradually lowered from the start/finish line through to the hairpin. It was very cool especially when racing period cars.

Jamie

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great Brands Hatch. How long was that? Never thought of putting the track outside, before. Guess, I worried about getting it dirty. But, it would help in my running over the Bernie Leech.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Perhaps there is a potential market for a 1/2 scale plastic leech figure with Bernie's ugly mug pasted on its business end?
I feel sure he would be happy to pose and grant reproduction rights for around a megaquid.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Now thats a nice layout, bit of a sod when it rains though Im guessing!!!

Driver#8, is your tagline from Days of Thunder by chance???

1 - 13 of 13 Posts