SlotForum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1,052 Posts
QUOTE Comin soon:
MotoGP motorbikes,4wd Skoda rally car, Audi TT and Porsche Boxter and the exciting new vintage F1 series starting with the Maserati 250F and Vanwall are all due later this Summer.

Note the use of the words "the exciting new vintage F1 series starting with" in connection with this announcement on the Scalextric website. Clearly more of these are on the way.

My guess is that these vintage F1 cars will represent something of a conundrum for the racing set up folk at Hornby.

Are they to have vintage Scalextric handling or not?

That is the question.

We all know the cars are going to have magnets but are they to be small button magnets Lotus 7 style or stronger bar magnets GT40 style?

The curved shape of the chassis of these vintage F1 cars is not really condusive to a bar magnet is it so it looks like weaker button magnets will be favoured.

That should of course suit most folk here who prefer the more sedate slot car life with cars that have extremely narrow tyres.

The first cars in a new race series clearly set the tone for the future models.

I wonder if these will be the first SPORT cars to have 2 button magnets?

Moped

· Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Look at the cost of similar cars produced without magnets. More than twice the price or more even?

The mass market would not stand it.

These cars WILL have magnets to keep the price reasonable. Remember though that Scalextric are going to have a magnificient range of suberb quality Pit Stop tune up parts to satisfy even the most ardent tune up no magnet fan here.

Maybe they should produce complete tune up kits for entire cars for around £20 to £30 to enable you to have what you want. I would rather pay £25 to £30 for the car as it will come rather than £50 to £60 for a car that runs perfect on wood track.

Its down to the degree of magnetism on these vintage cars at the end of the day.

Mecoprop has got the right idea but Carrera already have the patent for a sliding magnet so neither Scaley or anybody else can do it. See the patent reference in the Carrera catalogue.

Moped

· Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Here are 3 Moped observations re points raised by others.

Proslot cars are no longer imported into the UK because of quality control issues and the number of returns the distributer was getting. Unless of course a new distributer has taken on the challenge unbeknown to me?

Ninco cars in the UK have a RRP of about 15% more than the equivalent Scaley car. I don't have too many Ninco Classics but the ones I do have are fitted with button magnets.

Jonny S is correct as always!

Further thoughts on this subject....

The new Scalextric Digital and SPORT World controllers will make all this talk redundant as you will be able to set the controller up as you want to give you a "classic" feel to your car if that is desired.

In fact all other controllers become redundant once the Scalextric Digital and SPORT World control systems are released as they will have infinitely variable multiphase settings.

It will offer a "drive by wire" type of control enabling your vintage F1 cars to have totally realistic speed performance. This will also of course mean that you will be able to set up the controller to match each car enabling you to race with any two identically performing cars on your home circuit from any of the cars in your collection, all be it with different control settings.

And this is not the same as having different voltage settings or ohm settings for each car.

So in theory you should be able to run the old £1/16/- Scalextric F1 cars built at Havant in the 60's against the brand new 2004 vintage F1 cars (if you want to) and have very close racing.

Moped

· Registered
1,052 Posts
lotus03 is saying digital control is crap and he hasn't even had a go. I found the new digital Scaley controller to have exceptionally smooth characteristics with a feeling that you actually controlled the car and with infinitely variable settings.

Time will tell on this one. (I cannot wait Scaley to be honest!
)

And it doesn't take an Einstein to say that a magnet car will not handle like a no magnet car. lotus03 does not like magnets so why condemn those folk that do (as do seemingly a lot of folk here with some of the language they use)?

As Astro pointed out at Phoenix when he was talking with me, the non magnet event cars did not handle realistically with their tail out cornering. The magnet event cars had the more realistic handling.

What I want is a Scalextric vintage F1 Vanwall that has realistic handling and this will mean a magnet in one form or another.

If there was a Slotforum law that states "thou shall enjoy slot car racing in all its forms and not harp on about how wonderful I am because I race without magnets" then many of the membership would need a "get out of jail" card!

We all have our preferences but please don't knock folk who like the simple slot car life and who want to race slot cars that look as if they are handling like small scale versions of their full size counterparts.

Moped

· Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
This is a Scalextric thread so it is expected to have Scalextric content. If you don't wish to contribute or read it then you don't have to. It is just about the only Scalextric thread I have started in the last 2 months so it is a bit off to be accused of ramming Scalextric down peoples throats.

lotus03 has made remarks in this thread that are not productive and clearly he is not a fan of Scalextric product with the language used and probably does not even purchase their product. Why did he feel the need to contribute in the manner that he has done if this is the case?

I introduced the digital control thing in this thread as being relavent. In the future this will offer an alternative solution for those folk who wish to have a different race control feel for different classes of car.

Let the readers make up their own mind.

Moped

· Registered
1,052 Posts
Its OK GRAH1 because everybody will have one who runs with a Scalextric Digital set up so the same set up opportunity is available to all.

Lets be very honest about this. The sole purpose of using a "weird" analogue control system at a club is to gain an advantage over racers who don't. That is the bottom line.

They should only be permitted in "open rule" club racing where anything goes.

Clearly they should not be permitted in any sort of event where the new Vintage F1 Scalextric cars are used and I would suggest that vintage low tech Scalextric controllers should be the order of the day, as well as goggles, scarf, leather gloves and vintage head gear to provide the right type of atmosphere. Also real ale rather than this chemical stuff drunk by the yooth of today.

Thinking about it though some of those boxes are so big they could contain old fashioned valves rather than transisters and also they look like WWII B17 Bomber Bomb Drop Buttons so maybe they could be permitted like this one:-

or this complete with bomb!:-

If I made one up I would have 20 or so dummy switches and stick it in a big dummy box to which I would attach a body harness to help support it to really frighten people! From a psychological point of view I could win every race as competitors would not even bother to compete so every race would become a lap of honour!

I can but dream.

Moped

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.