SlotForum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum.

I have been collecting 1960s Scalextric for a few years now and recently acquired a good condition base for the above car a Cooper with Ref C88 on base in Dark Blue and with a swivel guide.

Does anyone have any information for this car? Or even better a good top to make it complete?

Look forward to your responses.

Rob

·
Phil Smith
2,628 Posts
The C88 Cooper in blue and with a swivel guide was included in an exclusive set from Hamleys and is extremely rare.
The chances of finding a spare body top for this are almost impossible.

A French C58 swivel guide top may fit the base, but again the chances of finding a spare top are almost equally as unlikely.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, thanks for your reply, I thought it was unusual when i received it. What was the set reference?

I'm going to contact the guy I acquired it from and see if he can locate the top or if he has any idea what happened to the top.

Do you know if a red C88 top would fit? I was thinking of possibly repainting a red C88 top Blue? just for the purposes of completing the car for my collection.

·
Phil Smith
2,628 Posts
Not sure of the set ref. but Phil Etgart did an article on the C58/88 Coopers in the NSCC mag a few years ago, someone may have a copy of this.
In twenty years I have only ever seen and owned two of these cars, they are possibly the rarest Scalextric 60's variation.
The Red C88 top would fit, no problem.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, Thanks again, I've just done a google search and read the NSCC journal from July 2002. A very good and interesting article.
It's made me more determined to build this base up into a complete car.
I don't suppose you have any images of the ones you had? To help with building it up. I assume it had the rear bulge as on the Red C88? do you know what wheels it came with? and did it just have the regular RX motor?

·
Phil Smith
2,628 Posts
It had the normal yellow wheels and was non race tuned so used the normal RX motor and did not have race tuned stickers or stripes, from above it looked just like a normal C58 blue Cooper.
The reason this car exists is because the set contained two GP cars the C54 Lotus 16 and the C58 Cooper but by this time the tooling had been modified for the Cooper to incorporate the swivel guide and the 'C' number changed on the base to C88. The Lotus was just a normal Round Pin car so I guess the Cooper won hands down every race!
Actually this car should be classified as a C58 Cooper Competition (swivel guide), much like the non race tuned versions of the C60 D type and C61 Porsche cars that had swivel guides but were not the C91 and C92 race tuned cars, people very often apply repro stickers and stripes to these cars and even fit black race tuned motors in a mistaken belief that this is how they should be!

btw The UK swivel guide cars are not the same as the French swivel guide cars, the mouldings are different.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts