SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Have you ever wondered where the idea for Scalextric "Crash n Bash" marketing came from...

Things don't change do they!

Could Hornby get away with this type of marketing today? Probably not as the male family members certainly would not be allowed to wear a collar and tie!

Note also that it is the lady driver who has smashed the Jaguar!

Definitely the male mind at work here.

Moped

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
That looks like a great idea (I'm not actually being sarcastic). More people should combine rail tracks with... erm, rail tracks! It would make for exciting cops 'n' robbers racing if you had to wait around for a train to pass, or risk nipping through a tight gap.

Shame 1/32 scale trains are rare (if any at all).

Lotus

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Yes, and you certainly don't want to go around crashing them!

Actually, I always thought "Crash n Bash" was a term referring to my own particular driving style.

Love those old ads and articles, Moped!

·
Registered
420 Posts
well if Scalextric 'Crash n Bash' set would come with those two cars on the pic I would buy one straight away...

//peter

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
QUOTE (moped rider @ 30 May 2004, 17:10)Could Hornby get away with this type of marketing today?
Err...Yes they can and they have!

You can buy a Crash & Bash set containing 2 "NASCARS", complete with the infamous 90 degree crossing and a ramp section. I do like the gunmetal Ford Taurus with it's rivetted panels - I wonder if Scaley began to make a RoboCop set and then changed their minds?

IMHO the new digital stuff (mcpl) will warrant the C&B name, after witnessing the use of an SCX set.

Mark.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Hey Gary all we need is a time machine mate! Anyone know what that price converts to in todays terms?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The straight conversion is £136 from 1965.

Factors are complicated by improvements in quality remember but you can still pick up a basic Hornby train set for about £50 to £70 and a basic Scalextric set for £50- £60 so not much difference and better quality!

I have used this link How much? which takes you up to 2002 and added a further 4% to take us to the current day.

Moped

·
Gary Skipp
6,476 Posts
Not a bad suggestion mope but that slot track has at least 14 straights and that aint gonna come in your basic £50 oval set

Plus, racing dodgy F3 cars against a 'Rural Rambler' just aint gonna feel the same..........

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Just in case you do get an older bash and crash Minic Motorways Triang set i humbly suggest you don't crash the Rolls Royce! especially if it's black!

I sold eleven Minic Motorways cars plus a few bits of track (including a Black RR with silver lady) for over £650.00 two years ago!!!! (Ebay) when i asked why several people had bid so much the answer was the black RR complete!

I suspect the Scalextric Bash and Crash Nascars won't be so collectable in the future, i belive the set is the biggest seller for Hornby!!!

Gareth

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bash N Crash is certainly the biggest 1:32 scale set seller in recent times but the most popular set recently has been "The Simpsons Scalextric" as male students have adopted this set as a very cool accessory to have for a spot of lady pulling and fun late into the night. Amazing but true!

What chance "The Mutant Ninja Turtle Scalextric" being more popular when it is released later this year?

Remember that Micro Scalextric is almost the same scale as Minic and so if they were of a mind to repeat this combination train and car set they could do certainly do something by just creating a level crossing with Micro Scalextric track and maybe a special length of straight rail to accomodate the geometry of Micro Scalextric track.

Over to you Mr Hornby!

Moped

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
QUOTE the most popular set recently has been "The Simpsons Scalextric" as male students have adopted this set as a very cool accessory to have for a spot of lady pulling and fun late into the night. Amazing but true!

I'd really love to know the source of that information, moped. Can you post a link or reference to it?

I'm not entirely sure Simpsons slot cars do it for the girls I know, but if you say it it MUST be true.

In conclusion, please back this up in some way.

Lotus

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
A certain gent at the London Toy Fair who I was chatting to came up with this little gem of information.

Its rather interesting don't you think that many student squats have "The Simpsons Scalextric" set tucked away somewhere under the bed. "Andromeda" and "Nostalgia" (some of the cult store chains frequented by students) have been selling these and the distributer to these types of store has taken the biggest orders for these sets.

I have suggested to Hornby that they produce a "Noddy and Brum Scalextric" set. They are looking into it.

Just to say that I would not expect "Noddy and Brum Scalextric" to appeal to the typical Slotforum member, but the cars would certainly be bullet proof and may very well have an unexpected appeal in certain quarters outside the target market, in the same way that "The Simpsons Scalextric" has.

Moped

·
Registered
198 Posts
Maybe I'm off my rocker, but I do believe I saw Tyco selling something similar roughly 10 years ago in the US. I definitely wanted one, but I had my "bigger and better" Scalextric set to play with, so I never ventured further.

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Yeah, and it was parallel stuff to Loop-the loops, WallClimbers, etc. All of which did absolutely nothing to further the hobby of slot racing. If it's incredibly "toy-like", then guess what? Yup! It's just a toy! This type of stuff is so lame that we will see virtually NO one migrate from toy to hobby. As much as I dislike the whole culture, we'd be better served by "Fast n Furious" sets, rather than the "Simpsons" and "Noddy"!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts