SlotForum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am currently starting work on a university project with a Scalextric Digital set. The basic aim is to build computer controlled opponents. Ideally they should adapt to the human racer(s) and push them that little bit further since what is currently available just doesnt really race fast enough.

As a first step I need to find out what the actual signal is that is being sent from the (digital) controller to the power base. I cant measure it myself since I am currently waiting for approval from my supervisor to buy a set.

Thus it would be really helpful if some of you could tell me about the specifications of the signal that the controller sends to the powerbase. I understand it is very different to the analogue track where the controller is basically a variable resistor.

I aim to build a simple interface between a PC and the track which I can simply plug into the power base and use as a seperate controller.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Ludwig

·
Premium Member
11,082 Posts
Hi there and welcome

There are two places that you might find what you are after: here and here

This should keep you busy for a while .........

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot for those links. As a matter of fact I already came across both of those during my research (hence how I found this forum).

The problem is that I cant find any specific information on the controllers/throttle. For example, the second link provides great detail on the packets/signals sent along the track/rails. Such information would be ideal for my purpose if I had it for the controller.

I will give all another look in case I overlooked something but if someone has the specifications at hand of the signals sent from the controller to the power base that would be brilliant.

·
Administrator
10,157 Posts
Hmmm.

You are going to make life difficult for yourself. It has no external interface, and it has no car sensors. It is fairly dumb.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The problem is that it is fairly difficult to get a hold of the newer base with some decent amount of track and more than two cars for not much more than 350 pounds.

I have no problems designing some circuitry to basically emulate whatever the controller does and feed that into the power base. What other limitations does this base have? Or how would the other base make my life easier?

·
Administrator
10,157 Posts
For the C7042 there are PC cables available and a command structure that will allow a PC to drive a car. SSDC PC program already does this by copying the best lap of a driver. It also has the car sensors that allow you to work out time speed = distance so you know where cars are.

Yes the cost is not cheap. That is life unfortunately.

Whilst you are talking about controllers you need to know that they are only a resistance a bit like analogue but inverted ratio so that max speed is max resistance, and there are two buttons that are signalled by altering the resistance range. You could connect a PC to that on the cheap base, but you not going to have any position feedback for the car, so all you could do would be set DC values.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That does sound like it would make my life a lot easier. Probably worth sacrificing a bit of track and/or a car or two for this then.

Could you point me to where I can find out more about this command structure that controls the cars? And also, could you explain to me how the base is able to track car positions? I suppose the software used for this is not from Scalextric (judging by the links provided in your signature), how easy is it to interface with this software?

Thanks a lot for your help so far.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts