SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Can someone please confirm for me that Scaley digital uses AC at the rails and does the AC to DC conversion inside the car?
In Allan's review he states the AC Adaptor to be 12vdc, he mentions the track is an AC grid with the cars converting the AC to DC.
This does sound interesting, I'm not sure what the advantages are to having a DC from the wall then convert it to AC for the track then convert it back to DC inside the car!
Please enlighten me on why this would be done!

·
Registered
715 Posts
Mr. Bugs

If it follows the logic for model train DCC then there would be AC current coming down both rails. The left has the data and (+) AC power while the right rail has the (-) AC power. The data from the left rail instructs chip and then converts what is left of the upper part of of the sine wave to DC and powers the motor. The right (-) rail is converted to DC/rectified to fill in where the (+) AC pulse left gaps. This configuration sends clean data and delivers a relatively smooth pulse of power to the motor and other electrical accessories.

Maltese

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
ummmm...

the way I understood DCC and other digital systems (and it is at present not completely clear how the scalextric system works) is this:

There is no AC involved at all - as in alternating sine waves;

The signal is sent as pulses of + or - DC, similar to square wave, althought the duration is not regular but coded. The + or - voltage is BETWEEN the rails, the rails do not have 'different' stuff on them. The base station makes this signal - out of a DC signal. The 50Hz sine waves of AC would not be particularly helpful.

There is never zero voltage between the rails.

The car/train rectifies the signal to end up with a constant + voltage, which the control chip in the car then regulates to send the appropriate qunatity of volts to the motor.

So that is why a DC transformer makes sense, and why the car still has to rectify the signal.

·
Registered
15 Posts
After seeing these videos I want this set now! When is the actual release date to north america, specifically Canada? This digital set adds so much to slot racing, and I can't wait for them to release a digital pitstop section.

·
Registered
316 Posts
From the scalex digital launch leaflet - there will be 2 chip types availible - 1 for saloon cars and the the other for F1. I dont think its specific which ones goes in which - ie Im sure you can fit a F1 type to any other car, ie itll have to be smaller, but not nessercarily wieght less.

Cheers
Cools

·
Registered
107 Posts
Having watched the videos, I think it looks good fun. However, I think you would need a larger track to handle 6 cars without constant bumping.

I like the shift from controlling the lane power to actually controlling the cars power. I would guess that this would help avoid power gains to other cars when a car de-slots.

It will be interesting to see the size of the F1 chip compared to the full sized version.

Look forward to the full reviews appearing.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
This chips of two sizes point came up a while ago and I'll say what I said then.
If the chips are identical in functionality with the only difference being physical size, I cannot see any sense in making the larger one. Why bother with it? This seems so obvious that, if two sizes ARE made, then I would suspect that they might not be functionally identical after all.

·
DT
5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The model train guys make chips of different sizes to fit trains of different sizes.

It seems that the mini-chips are a little more expensive and overheat and burn out more easily than the bigger ones. Generally the little trains draw less current than the big trains so it's not too bad.

I would imaging that the F1 chips would be more expensive than the standard ones.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Both chips seem to be about the same price, judging by the online stores I've looked at.

I can understand Tropi's point - why make the larger chip. Although they call it a 'chip'. I'm guessing it's the dimensions of the circuit board that is different between the two types.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Have to say it all looks awesome !!!

I can't wait till after Xmas to setup my digital track in the loft - the ability to have
five cars going around at drone pace and zipping past them is fantastic - though
I will miss a proper "Challenger" .

However putting my tech head on i've come up with a solution !!!
Now the controllers are sending digital signals to the base station instead of
applying resistance in the circuit we have something that we can record.
If we take the digital signals and pass them through a voltage to frequency
recorded you can feed that into your PC as a simple WAV file.
Then play it out again via frequency to voltage converter and you replaying
laps.

I will have to wait till I get my hands on it but I am thinking it will be very simple
from what I seen , the only difficult thing will be letting the PC know when a lap
is over - but I am sure that can be overcome.

·
Jim Moyes
5,078 Posts
It wouldn't just be the fact that the F1 cars don't use lighting circuits that allows for a smaller chip, would it?

Mr.M

·
Jamie Coles
515 Posts
Following on from Mr M's train of thought - no pun intended - could the lighting circuite need a larger chip due to the need to be compatible with capacitors and the such like or simply a larger heat sink for when the power is reduced and the lights dim?

Or am I missing some vital part of the O-Level Physics stuff?
J-c

·
Registered
300 Posts
Quick thought !!!

Those guys have the digital system right - does anyone know them or are you reading this ?

Can you try doing a dual powerbase trial to run analog cars without taking either powerbase out of the track , they are ALOT of us out here who would like to know
the answer to that question. !!!!

·
Registered
300 Posts
I know what they claim , manufacturers claim lots of things just to save there
arse's if it goes wrong - and i'm wondering if this is the case.

My personal idea is to have the "old" sport power base sitting next to the track (so
not in the circuit when digital is running) and then when wanting to use analog , turn
off power to the digital and crocodile clip in the standard base as I think the issue
is the old base handling the increased voltage/amps.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts