SlotForum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
297 Posts
Have to say it all looks awesome !!!

I can't wait till after Xmas to setup my digital track in the loft - the ability to have
five cars going around at drone pace and zipping past them is fantastic - though
I will miss a proper "Challenger" .

However putting my tech head on i've come up with a solution !!!
Now the controllers are sending digital signals to the base station instead of
applying resistance in the circuit we have something that we can record.
If we take the digital signals and pass them through a voltage to frequency
recorded you can feed that into your PC as a simple WAV file.
Then play it out again via frequency to voltage converter and you replaying
laps.

I will have to wait till I get my hands on it but I am thinking it will be very simple
from what I seen , the only difficult thing will be letting the PC know when a lap
is over - but I am sure that can be overcome.

· Registered
297 Posts
Quick thought !!!

Those guys have the digital system right - does anyone know them or are you reading this ?

Can you try doing a dual powerbase trial to run analog cars without taking either powerbase out of the track , they are ALOT of us out here who would like to know
the answer to that question. !!!!

· Registered
297 Posts
I know what they claim , manufacturers claim lots of things just to save there
arse's if it goes wrong - and i'm wondering if this is the case.

My personal idea is to have the "old" sport power base sitting next to the track (so
not in the circuit when digital is running) and then when wanting to use analog , turn
off power to the digital and crocodile clip in the standard base as I think the issue
is the old base handling the increased voltage/amps.

· Registered
297 Posts
QUOTE (SinclairZX81 @ 7 Nov 2004, 04:52)...or map the data to synthesized engine sounds while you race...

...or analyze the signal and work out Scalextric's data protocols so that 3rd parties can start making lap counters that you can actually SEE whilst racing.

We need some serious tech heads to connect a packet sniffer to this thing and kick start the beginings of open-source Scalextric Digital, since I am not at all hopeful that any of the manufacturers will release technical information to the public.

Your right , soon as you a sample of the protocol from the handset to the base
you can do alot of things.
As far as I can tell they will be three types of message , brake , change lane and
a throttle message with a variable (i.e. amount of throttle) - should be easy to map.

The lap counting , ermmm - not so sure how easy that going to be as thats worked
out by the base station and not fed out anywhere.
Need to put thinking cap on over that one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.