SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my husband the Scalextric Digital Platinum set (with the 6 cars) it was something he always did when he was younger with his dad. Currently its sitting in my office and from what I've read it's cool set with a lot of features... I KNOW NOTHING about this though lol It's going to be his Christmas present and I am also buying all the materials to build a 10*8' table in our garage... is that a good size?? Tips?? Also any feedback about the set would be appreciated!!

Just want to be the cool wife Christmas morning

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
Its a brilliant new set only just out. The set can be connected to a PC and have a race management program control things, it can then do a whole load of cool things like needing cars to refuel, set up some of the cars as pace cars to copy the best lap of one driver, so that he can race against himself, etc etc etc. See http://ssdc.jackaments.com for more details

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It sounds like a cool set... my husband hasn't had a slot car set since leaving the UK. If it only just came out that would explain why I can't find reviews anywhere lol All I know is he always talks about Scalextric and Hornby so I hoped I picked out a good set... I'm just worried about space... I'm building a 10' * 8' table and the side of the box says 9'1 * 9'1 space needed... can you configure it differently so it would fit on a 10' * 8' ?

Thanks for the link I will check it out

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
You said "since leaving the UK". Where in the world are you based? There are slotters everywhere. You just never know when you might find someone close enough to help you out.

Embs

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
Hi, yes Scalextric is very configurable so he can easily adapt it to fit to 10ft by 8ft

So you are 7 hours behind UK so I'm guessing west coast USA or in just a bit...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We're in Las Vegas
I'm from California but my husband is from the North / East England... he hasn't had a set since being here so I'm glad it seems like I'm getting a good one for him to start with... I picked it up for $600 new... so price wise I was trying to get the best set I could... at least for him to build off of and since it comes with cars, he can pick out what he wants later
I checked out that link it looks pretty cool... I may need to get him a lap top for his birthday lol

·
Registered
433 Posts
Great set to get for your husband, has all the gear he will need to set up and go and add to later if he wants to (which I'd say he will). If only my wife would buy me slot stuff instead of buying it myself and putting her or the kids names on them for Chrissie presents for myself. Your forum name says it all 'coolwife', he will love it.

Matt

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah and I will ;-) my guy friends that know about it are already telling me not to beat him because they know how competitive I am lol

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
I'm hearing a very familiar tale here. The only difference is, I was the one that introduced the other half to slot cars and got him hooked.

I'll admit to being rather jealous of the Platinum setup as a starting point. Still only running analogue out in the backwoods here, but as there's usually only the two of us racing it's not a problem.

I would suggest you keep an eye out for extra track though. Can never have enough track, just ask the lads around here. You might manage to pick up a secondary set cheap on eBay or Craig's List or somewhere. Also well worth looking for the wider radius corners. The more of them the merrier. But you've definitely got hours of fun ahead.

And 99% of the fellows on this forum are turning green and envying your man.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I went online and found a pretty nice table design so I'm going to go pick up all the lumber the week of Christmas and my brother is going to pretend its his for some side work and he just needs to store it for a few days... Then I'm going to wrap up all the hardware individually (screws, bolts, washers.. Etc) and put them under the tree for him to open Christmas morning lol when he is totally confused I'm going to give him the directions to build the table and let him open his new set <3 If I could find a way to just build it without him knowing and have it together Christmas morning I would... But it's to big to transport and my dad thinks he'll like building the table... I hope so! I cashed out my vacation at work to pay for the set and table parts so he won't have a clue!

What's funny is I've been adamant about not getting one for years since it will take up so much room... He's got no idea! I hope he's really happy :)

·
Greg Gaub
14,656 Posts
oh man... this is on par with VectBB's surprise layout for his boys. If your man liked slots, and you already know he does, I can't imagine him not being completely blown away by the surprise you're planning. As Embs said, most of the guys here are super jealous of your man. ;-)

And yes, don't beat him right away... if ever. Is it better to beat him, or know that you can? ;-) I barely ever play board games with my wife, 'cus while I might win the first round... maybe two, it's all downhill from there. ;-) She doesn't like racing slot cars, though.

Not to throw a wrench into your works, but an 8x10 table is kind of odd. It will be hard to reach cars that come off in the center. I would go with a 5x10. 6x10 max. you can get a pretty decent layout on that size table, really. It's good that you can go bigger than 4x8, though, which can be challenging. Of course, he'll inevitably want to expand the table no matter how large you start with... maybe that's a better reason to start smaller, so you can "allow" him to expand. ;-)

Anyway, good luck! We're all rooting for you, and are here to help. We also love to hear and see progress. If you can get pics or video of the surprise, table build, play time, I know I'm not the only one who would love to see his reaction and new table and layout.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We are deffinetly going to record Christmas morning! I was actually going to build a 9' x 6' originally and the guy I bought the set from said to go 10' x 10' which is huge! If I go 8' x 10' then it will go to pretty much the half way point in our garage... I would rather 6' x 10' if you guys think it will be big enough... Any feedback especially on the table will help... With that nothing is set in stone because well not go pick up the lumber until a few days before Christmas. Ideas? The set actually said I needed 9'1" square.... But since track layouts can change I just want to make sure he has room... I bought a scalextric software for track layouts too...

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Since Mr. F. brought it up.... here is the link to Vecbtb's Christmas Surprise track.... (click here)

It may give you some ideas for the "big reveal" on Christmas day!
Good luck!

Cheers!

·
Registered
985 Posts
I you can write down here what track pices you have, there are folk on the forum who will try and design a track to this size with your bits. Even me if we can't get anybody better.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This is what the set has: (copied from another site)

This set allows you to race six cars at the same time, performing realistic overtaking and braking maneuvers. You can switch lanes at the touch of a button to overtake or block your opponent.

This set features an extended figure eight circuit with raised bridge section and two lane-change track sections.

The set comes with the amazing Advanced 6 Car Digital Powerbase (C7042). Also included are two Porsche 997 cars, two Lamborghini Gallardo GT cars and two Audi R8 cars. These super-resistant racers feature easy change pick-ups and the Magnatraction™ system to help them stay on the circuit.

Digital layouts are fully compatible with standard Scalextric track pieces.

CONTENTS:
1 1/32 Scalextric Digital Slot Car Race Track Set - Digital Platinum - 6 cars! [C1276T]
1 1/32 Scalextric Digital 6 Car Powerbase Instructional DVD [HS-Scal-6-car-set-info]

Contents:
1 C3006 Lamborghini Gallardo GT - No. 8
1 2899 Porsche 997 GT3 RS "Lechner Racing" - Red - No. 2
1 3135 Lamborghini Gallardo GT-R MRP Motorsport - No. 44
1 3134 Audi R8 LMS GT3 Rosberg - No. 15
1 3045 Audi R8 LMS GT3 - No. 98
1 3132Porsche 997 GT3 RS "The Mad Butcher" No. 1
12 C8205 STANDARD STRAIGHT
8 C8206 STANDARD CURVE 45°
5 C8207 HALF STRAIGHT
1 C8295 ELEVATED TRACK
6 HAND THROTTLES
1 SIX CAR POWER BASE
2 Straight lane Change
2 TRANSFORMER
7 Standard Curve 45° Borders
4 Lead-in Lead-out Borders

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
QUOTE (coolwife @ 23 Nov 2011, 07:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> 1 1/32 Scalextric Digital 6 Car Powerbase Instructional DVD [HS-Scal-6-car-set-info]
This could be very interesting - Mr F did you copyright all your videos????
What is the betting that my wife's scissors appear somewhere in a cameo role..... (thats a photo of me modifying older curve lane changers to work with the new powerbase
)

1 - 20 of 67 Posts