SlotForum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have a couple of scalextric digital questions which I am hoping you
guys will know the answers to

1) Are scalextric planning a lane change on a straight ?

Second question - read it all before responding.

2) Can I run old (analog) cars on a digital setup ? , I already know that to make use
of digital features I need to install a chip - but does the powerbase have an option
for running analog cars (obviously with no lane changes etc) - so I can run cars I don't want to / haven't got round to fitting chips to.
I am planning buying the digital set this xmas to integrate into my first permanent track
BUT am now worried I am going need to spend a small fortune (which I would rather spend on more lane changes) and alot of time fitting chips to them all.

Thanks in advance guys

Chris

·
Registered
107 Posts
QUOTE (fouldsc @ 14 Oct 2004, 10:44)1) Are scalextric planning a lane change on a straight ?

Initially it's just the R2 curve. I have heard that they may be extending this next year. Official answer is that they might bring out some other radius curves and possibly a straight at a later time.

QUOTE 2) Can I run old (analog) cars on a digital setup ?

Apparently yes, but only 2 cars.

·
Slot City
331 Posts
QUOTE 1) Are scalextric planning a lane change on a straight ?

Nothing has been announced, but I think we'll be seeing some new sections at some point and a straight lane change is likely to be included. To a certain degree, this will depend on the feedback that is received for the curve change overs.

QUOTE 2) Can I run old (analog) cars on a digital setup ?

NO. All standard cars will need a chip to run on a digital system, though digital cars will run without modification on a standard system. There is no 'analogue' option on the digital powerbase, though it would of been nice.

Once we have the system in stock we'll be having a look to see what the options are for doing this. It may be possible to leave the standard powerbase in place, or to wire this up seperately.

Jon,
Slot City.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (slotcity @ 14 Oct 2004, 11:11)There is no 'analogue' option on the digital powerbase, though it would of been nice.
Jon,
Slot City.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the answer Jon , you are right - its would have been a fantastic option , all
they gotta do is vary voltage to track dependent on throttle position (ala digital controllers) which a switch one way and with it the other do all the normal
digital gubbins.
I feel that is a big oversite of Scalextric - if I was to buy someone a digital set for
Xmas (I was thinking of getting my dad one) but then they were to find out that
they got to fit little chips in the cars if they buy different makes or even non-digital
scalextric cars they would be mighty peeved and be putting the set in the local paper
before you know it.

I hope (and pray) that they have come to their senses and done this as a last minute thing or someone such as yourselfs find an easy way round it as swapping powerbases is just not going to be an option on a permanent track.

Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
The plans are for a 'digital pro' system to come out later, as well as the analogue 'sport world' system.

These sheare a base station - like a power -track piece, but need a control/power pod to work. You pop the digital pro pod in and race digital; pop the sport world pod in and race analogue.

Just havent heard any dates for these things, or much news about them lately, but thats the game plan as I understand it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
QUOTE (astro @ 14 Oct 2004, 12:46)The plans are for a 'digital pro' system to come out later, as well as the analogue 'sport world' system.

These sheare a base station - like a power -track piece, but need a control/power pod to work. You pop the digital pro pod in and race digital; pop the sport world pod in and race analogue.

Just havent heard any dates for these things, or much news about them lately, but thats the game plan as I understand it.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Could you have both the digital powerbase and a regular sport powerbase on the same track? You plug on it and run digital, and then unplug it, connect the analog one and run analog?

I have a decent 2 lane scaley sport layout for my apartment. I would really love to convert it to digital, but I imagine converting all of my cars to digital right away would be super expensive.

Any idea when the Scaley digital set will hit the streets? I would love to buy it right now. I'm real tempted to get the Carrera digital, but I think I'll wait for the Scaley set. The ability to convert all of my current cars and keep all of my current sport track is enough incentive to wait. Being able to convert my Pro Slot and Slot Its to digital too is also worth the wait.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Scalextric say you CANNOT have the standard (about to be released) digital powerbase AND the current analogue powerbase connected to the track at the same time, even if the other one is unplugged. Apparently they may damage each other.

True or overcautious warning? Let the brave experiment! But you won't be able to get your money back if it blows up!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.