SlotForum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
There have been a few tit bits released by Getslotted about the Scalextric Digital Race Modes. It transpires that the lads have been up to Margate and had a go and sound pretty enthusiastic. Here is what Getslotted have to say:-

"SPORT DIGITAL NEWS

With the first Sport Digital set scheduled for release at the end of this month we thought you might like to know a bit more about it, so we took a trip to Margate to take another look; here's some more snippets of info.

You probably know by now that the biggest feature of the Scalextric Sport Digital is the ability to race up to 6 cars on 2 lanes with special overtaking curves. What you may not know is that the Digital Control unit that comes in the set is packed with lots of different race modes so that your Scalextric set can be enjoyed in loads of new ways. Here are a couple of examples:

Pursuit: 2 to 6 cars race around the track in an every-man-for-themself dash to lap the other cars. As racers get lapped, their car looses power and they're out of the race. Winner is last one moving.

Arcade: In an ever decreasing point-to-point time challenge, you set the time limit for your first lap and then the Digital system removes time each lap you make. How many laps can you make before time catches up to you.

These and other great features will add depth to slot car racing. The unit also comes with more recognisable race modes, such as time trials (for timed events, e.g. 24h), lap counts and more. Race positions and times all come as standard and the system is programmable so you can get things like false start penalties and auto power off as you like it."

Cheers
Moped

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Now that is something that could convince me to give digital a try. These new 'games' sound fun, whilst not loosing the essential element of racing, and fastest person wins.

This could give them the edge they need over other digital systems, which, I believe, do not include features like these.

McLaren

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Exactly what I was thinking except for the home racer this may be new and certainly gives you more options. I am pro digital but I am not excited by the above and can here the "Woopey do!" cries of those yet to be convinced.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lets not confuse the race modes with the timing modes.

Its the race modes that appear to be unique and I have yet to see any form of software or hardware that permit these challenge variations to take place.

My only question would be is that what happens to the car that looses power?

It could be that it stays on the track as an obstacle and the remaining drivers are forced to drive around it by switching lanes. Or it is simply removed.

No doubt both variations are possible.

Cheers
Moped

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I suspect either the power will be limited to just a few volts, enough power to trundle back to the pits, or remain as a moving obstruction.

OR Power will be completely cut, when the car crosses the finish line in last, or when out on the circuit. Then it's up to the drivers whether the car is removed or left.

I suspect removal, or it'll be the end of more cars...

McLaren

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
guess they have to be removed, or pretty soon both lanes will be blocked and no one will be able to get past. Might work ok with 3 racers....

·
Gary Skipp
6,476 Posts
I'td be intrestign to see how that pursuit worked. Would lapping a car register if you overtook them whilst the were out of the slot (crashed)?

Besides, ther'ed be oppurtunity for blocking too.

Thats by far the most intresting feature I have seen scaley digital offer.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Again I presume...

I think it'll be controlled by the lap counter, so when one driver had two more laps than another, then the other one is lapped.

McLaren

1 - 9 of 9 Posts