SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
hi,

I think we can't convert a clasic car to a digital car because of the command of lane changing. Scalextric use a led under the car to tell to the switch that it want to take the other lane. it's an optical system easy to install with a little hole. SCX use e mecanical system, hard to install in a clasic car. Carrera, I don't know, perhaps magnetic, but there is many electronic.

Automatic lane change with DAVIC ship is certainly the best compatibility solution

·
DT
5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What I'm trying to say is what is the difference between a standard Scalextric car to a standard Carrera car?

Why can't you add the Scalextric chip to a Carrera car?

·
Slot City
331 Posts
You can. The problem is the way they have shown the information.

The three manufacturer columns refer to their digital systems and not their cars.

So it is saying that:

- standard Scalextric cars can be converted to Scalextric digital, but not standard SCX to SCX digital (and same for Carrera).

- other manufacturers cars can be converted to run on Scalextric digital, but not on SCX or Carrera digital.

One interesting point that this confirms, and I don't think anyone has picked up on before, is that Scalextric digital cars can race on a standard system. So you can run it on a standard circuit, then on digital, then on standard and not have to make any modifications.

This is a MAJOR selling point for digital versions of cars over standard.

Why buy a standard car when you can get a digital one for a few quid more?

Jon,
Slot City.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I am pretty sure you can convert any standard car to a scalextric digital car as long as:
1) there is space for the components - ie chip and sensor
2) there must be a max distance from the guide that the LC sensor can be for it to work properly. so this is an extra constraint to location of the sensor.

The table states that the scalex system allows the conversion of all manufacturers standard cars to digital.

What is more interesting is that digital scalex cars can run on standard (analogue) layouts - which means that the scalex chip makes a car both digital and analogue! You won't need 2 sets of cars!

oop - posted at the same time as slot city!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Looking at the running of digital cars on standard track I would have thought that the chip circuitry would have to be disabled to permit this to happen. My chipped railway locomotives do not run with my standard analogue controller until I remove the chip. Remember that digital cars run with a constant voltage in the circuit.

Unless of course there is a circuit breaker switch built into the design of the system to quickly turn the chip off. If there is then bingo.

Moped

·
Jim Moyes
5,002 Posts
He's got a point there!

Surely if the car is used to accepting full voltage through the braids it will just sit there waiting for some digital instructions! No go Joe!

Mr.M

·
DT
5,195 Posts
Thanks for clearing up the issue Jon.

This full voltage through the tracks is going to take some getting used to...
I won't be able to use the cat any more to lick the track clean.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I can see a theoretical way that a chip's default (no digital instructions) would be to pass all the (analogue) voltage and current. This would allow the car to be driven analogue without any switching. However this means that the chip has to function in a predictable way with zero and low levels of power, so a physical switch is more likely

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
With all due respect, I think the compiler of that list was trying so VERY hard to emphasize the advantages of the Scalextric system that they managed to pass the point of providing useful, accurate or clear information and succeeded in confusing themselves as well as the readers!
Another example here
QUOTE Digital Track in same scale (1:32) as Digital Cars?
I am sure it is 'well meant' but ends up being both meaningless and pointless.
The Scalextric system is so obviously superior that a simple statement of known facts might have avoided the ambiguity and confusion that now exists.
Hopefully, in time, they will tidy it up.

Incidentally, after reading the informed posts earlier in the digital topics regarding AC or DC, I would have to query whether there is a "constant voltage in the circuit". My understanding, perhaps faulty, was that it is DC current being pulsed at high frequency. ie not constant.

·
Registered
67 Posts
i was under the impression that if you put a couple of big capicitors in parallel with the power supply you get a constant

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
QUOTE The Scalextric system is so obviously superior

Oh Tropi you make me laugh!

And I get accused of using hyperbole! Now if I had said that....

My view would be that every system has its advantages and disadvantages, and that it is up to the individual to work out for themselves what is going to work for them.

No doubt Carrera Digital will be popular with folk around the world who have Carrera track. Ditto Scalextric digital for those who have Scalextric track.

I would also hazard a guess that Ninco users might well be satisfied in their digital wants with a Scalextric Digital add on pack and convertor tracks so no need for investment on the part of Ninco then lucky chaps!

SCX Digital poses the most interesting questions in this regard.

The battleground will be for the hearts and minds of those who won't entertain slot car racing in its current analogue form but will entertain slot car racing in its new digital form. That is the new user to put it simply.

Moped

·
Beppe Giannini
1,696 Posts
Well Tropi,
looks like there's no way of making Moped happy !

Of course, I agree with you :
- yes, I also frowned on the track "scale" comparison - it's unfair, since Carrera's wide lane spacing/ less nerfing actually is their one advantage, quite significant when you want to overtake on the outside before the next LC
- saying that the Scalextric system is superior is not hype, just stating the obvious

IMHO, the issue of which digital system will be used by "serious" slot racers has already been settled. This does not necessarily mean that SCX and Carrera will be commercial failures, just that their domain will be the isolated/one purchase market - and let's not forget that is numerically much larger

Beppe

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
QUOTE This does not necessarily mean that SCX and Carrera will be commercial failures, just that their domain will be the isolated/one purchase market - and let's not forget that is numerically much larger

That is so very true. The greatest proportion of Scalextric turnover is set related and the isolated/one purchase market to the home racer. I suspect the ratios are very similar for Carrera, SCX and Ninco. That should not be forgotten.

Moped

·
Registered
714 Posts
While I have no difficulty in accepting that 'one-off' set purchases are probably the greater, numerically, for some companies I would suggest that dependence on this mode is why the market stays more or less static for those companies. It doesn't seem to grow it overall, not significantly. This, of course, does not apply to Fly, who seem to manage rather well without it, and also to some, lesser, others!

There is disappointingly little news floating around with regard to SCX and Carrera's digital efforts . . .

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
mec, my understanding was trhat scalextric has grown considerably over the last 5 years, and presumably a lot of this is in the one off slaes sectors. Scalextric seems to be being better stocked in more and more outlets, in that healthy circle of more demand leading to more exposure leading to more demand.

The growth bit is my opinion based on hornby's anual and financial reports, the shop bit is just my opinion from obsevation - paragraph added on advice from lawyer!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Astro is perfectly right based on my own observations also. The point is the percentage value of set sales to accessory sales changes little with the value of set (one off) sales being the higher by a considerable margin, but the total value is on the increase. I suppose Mecoprop might argue that it is as a result of increasing market share at the expense of competitors in a flatish market but folk have to form their own opinion on this one.

Hornby overall sales have increased 300% in Spain in 3 years, the largest slot car market in the world. Now that is some going by any stretch of the imagination.

And within a few months Superslot Digital will be launched in Spain with all the compatibility that is lacking in the products of Carrera and SCX.

Have no fear, digital and SPORT World is almost here!

Can't wait personally.

Moped

1 - 20 of 25 Posts