SlotForum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hello again folks - hope this finds you all well!

The subject of Scalextric having come up at work a fortnight or so ago, one of my colleagues told me a mate of his had a couple of old cars he wouldn't mind selling. Well to cut a long story short, they arrived on my desk today, they were an E/1 Lister Jaguar and E/3 Aston Martin DB4 GT, both boxed, so I didn't feel inclined to turn them down - especially with the price for the two consisting of double figures.

Both cars have two lamps out of three working. The Lister Jaguar was missing one motor brush, and the Aston its round guide. Not a problem from spares, except the lamps, and I know where to find those! Same goes for the tyres - they will need replacing.

The dreaded brown spots on the Lister Jaguar aren't nearly so bad as they appear in the photo, for some reason.

What is interesting is the factory service record for the Aston. I've never seen one of those before!

C0068-E3 Aston Martin DB4 GT (2) by Fred the Oyster, on Flickr

C0068-E3 Aston Martin DB4 GT (4) by Fred the Oyster, on Flickr

C0056-E1 Lister Jaguar by Fred the Oyster, on Flickr

C0056-E1 Lister Jaguar plus Box by Fred the Oyster, on Flickr

I must confess to being quite happy with them...

All the best
Jim

·
Premium Member
8,227 Posts
Nice cars Fred.
I`ve got a couple with service/ compliment sheets in.
From an age when companies knew how to treat their customers.
Cheers,
Kev

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the comments! Yes, it does seem that they took an interest in the customers, doesn't it?

I did wonder if the lighted Aston Martin and Ferrari had been problematic in some way? The catalogue evidence seems to point to them having been abruptly discontinued - all the 1965 catalogue artwork shows the lights and the text (for the 60 set and the individual cars) takes pains to specify "without lights"!

The other oddity was the prices written on the two boxes. The Aston Martin is marked 55 shillings and sixpence, and the Lister Jag 59 shillings and sixpence. According to my archive price lists (1962 and 64) that's about a pound in excess of the RRP!

Dear me, I can get worked up about minor details...

Best regards,
Jim

·
Stranger Things 2
575 Posts
Nice cars Jim, and always a bonus to be able to pick them up at a reasonable cost through a friendly source.

QUOTE Not a problem from spares, except the lamps, and I know where to find those!

If you have any troubles getting the bulbs I have them, still in packets ....

·
Registered
625 Posts
QUOTE (Fred the Oyster @ 10 Nov 2011, 21:23) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks for the comments! The other oddity was the prices written on the two boxes. The Aston Martin is marked 55 shillings and sixpence, and the Lister Jag 59 shillings and sixpence. According to my archive price lists (1962 and 64) that's about a pound in excess of the RRP!

Dear me, I can get worked up about minor details...

Best regards,
Jim

I've just recently purchased a boxed E3 Aston Martin from Ebay, written in faded blue ink is the price £1.15.0. that's 115 shillings!

More than double on your boxes?

Billy

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hi Billy
I cannot be the only one old enough to rember this but a £1 is 20 shillings therefore £1 15 shillings is 35 shillings not 115
oops john

·
Registered
625 Posts
Thanks for that John, how embarrassing - What made me think £1 was 100 shillings? - Must be OLD AGE!

cheers Billy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts