SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
That is pretty cool, I have never seen one of those before. I was thinking of the old Elf car six wheeler that had the 4 tires in the front.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
The 'Elf car' is the Tyrrell. It's the only 6-wheel F1 car car that's actually made a race. Williams and March produced cars in the above configuration, but never raced them. Shortly afterwards, 6 wheels were banned. End of story.

Lotus

·
Vendor
2,920 Posts
Of the March 6 wheeler, Scalextric made a 'Rothmans' version as well, and both versions came out in Blue and Green.
I have both the green 'March' and the blue 'Rothmans' and if anyone wants to sell his blue 'March' and green 'Rothmans' versions, I'll be happy to buy at a reasonable price.
I only collect 6 wheelers...

MG Vanquish announced a March 2-4-0 Six Wheel F1 Car version; I will be happy to buy that - will they put two differentials in it? That would be
1 - incredibly cool
2 - better than March's first attempt 'cause during the first test of the car, on wet track, the driver was instructed not to spin the wheels, as it would have revealed that only two of the rear wheels were in fact traction wheels, the gearbox not having been completed in time for the first press presentation

More info about this odd and interesting car:
http://www.geocities.com/simontmallett/240march1.html

Best regards

Maurizio

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Hi Slot It

There are in fact three green version - there is a light green version (more like an apple colour).

Pretty tricky to get hold of the lighter green version - you need to see them side by side to see the difference.

There is also a factory mock up in Red.

Gareth
NSCC

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Hi Bo

Great choice!

At the Recent Liphook swap meet, there was a March for sale which was identical to your car, really wish I had bought it now, instead choosing to toddle off and have a look around.

By the time I had made my mind up to buy the car, i'd forgot which stall the car was for sale with... boo!

All was not lost though, managed to pick up a Mint Scalextric Lotus 72 hoorah!

James

·
Registered
8 Posts
For fans of six-wheelers, Exoto are supposed to be releasing a 1/32 slot car Tyrrell P34. I have a mint boxed Strombecker (nee Polistil) Tyrrell P34 which looks to be about 1/28 scale, so perhaps it can race the VMG March when it comes out.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi

Just pick up my Rothmans scalextric six wheeler in blue, now all I need is the blue march to my a the set.

REGARDS BO

·
Vendor
2,920 Posts
Yes I had heard about Exoto and I'd love to have their Tyrrel in my stable.

AFAIK the P34 Tyrrel also has three very elusive colours: black, and white, made in Mexico, and the famous orange 'Banco Occidental' made in Spain. I have seen the orange one a few times and it sells for too much money for me... Ihave limited myself to the standard blue/red/yellow/green Scalextric UK versions.

On the Strombecker/Polistil front, I have three, one was painted by myself in the dark blue colour with yellow stripe.

There are other six wheelers which made it to a slot track:
1 - the Pat clancy special

Billy DeVore ran this in 1948
www.rumbledrome.com/images/clancy.jpg
8w.forix.com/pat-clancy-special.jpg

Then Jackie Holmes ran it in 1949.

The car still exists:
www.geocities.com/trainsandracing/patclancy.html

and the amazing Slot car version was made by .. Mark Gussin:
http://home.clara.net/goodwood/PatClancy/P...ancySpecial.htm

2 - a six wheeler, somehow looking like a tyrrel, in yellow injected plastic, made in Cecoslovakia, of which, the only specimen I know of, is in the hands of Roberto Addia.

Best regards

Maurizio

·
Vendor
2,920 Posts
Oh, I forgot to say the obvious: SCX reissued the P34, quite nicely, in 'white and blue' First NAtional City colours, two years ago, and it was also part of the 'Coches miticos' collection of Altaya.

Maurizio

·
Registered
69 Posts
Well I got the Rothmans sixwheeler now and the three of them look great together at home on my track.

I also pick up a SCX Elf Tyrrell sixwheeler still new in its box #1805 of only 2000
made, many thanks to Jim from Arm chairracer .

Regards Bo

·
Phil Smith
4,534 Posts
The March 6 wheeler was never made in Green with Rothmans livery, but there are two distinct 'march' green versions, in dark and light green and also a very rare light blue Rothmans version,
somewhere in the back of my mind I seem to remember someone having a red car but I may be mistaken (just got back from Spa and all the rain has turned my brain to mush
)

There are three versions of the Techni-toys Tyrrell reissues, one from the vintage range and two different ones from Altaya .

The Czech Tyrrell that slot.it mentioned is probably from the Ites range that was reissued by Autodrahy, Polistil also made a Tyrrell.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Regarding how the Scalextric March ran, from what I remember the six wheelers had good acceleration (the small wheels helped) and the car was pretty tail happy, quite good for lurid power slides and obstructing the path of your opponent.

The trouble was the car was usually beaten by conventional cars. boo!

One thing that bugged me was the car sat 'nose high' on the track, the front wheels barely touched the track and the rear spoiler was quite fragile. The trailing arm which connected the two rear wheels was a rather thin piece of plastic prone to breaking.

Jamie

·
Registered
303 Posts
Anyone got a rear wing for the blue Rothmans version as mine is missing it

·
Registered
231 Posts
I´m glad to see that there is more people that prefer
the older models. They are beautifull...but then again i´m a sucker for old cars. The six wheeler´s are great. Both the ones with six front wheels as well as the ones with six rear wheels. Talk about experimenting with diffrent setups in the most extreme way
. Well i really hope that scalextric starts making them again..along with the Bmw CSL, Lancia Stratos, Lotus 77 and why not the very great motorcykle with sidecar that they made in the 80´s.

regards

Eric

1 - 20 of 29 Posts