SlotForum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post; please excuse any errors.

This Ferrari F40 is a recent car boot purchase - just £3. The car's condition is near mint and runs well although only one red brake light works and the one at the front also doesn't work. I understand that the front light is also part of the car's electrical circuit. I have replaced the bulb with a 'grain of wheat' but it still doesn't illuminate. I would have thought that if the bulb was out this would stop the power going to the wheels but apparently not.

I have no electronics experience and searching the internet for guidance with reference to slot cars has drawn a blank. Perhaps there is something out there but I can't find it and the Slot Car Handbook by Dave Chang is also weak on this aspect.

Any guidance would be appreciated.Thanks

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
Hi Horace ......... WELCOME to the Forum ......
xmas.gif
thumbsup.gif

The power for the lights is tapped off from the pickups so a problem with the lights should not prevent the car from running. Do you have a multi-meter handy? If so check the voltage across the replacement lamp ...... it should be about 12V.

It might be easier to replace the lights completely with appropriate LEDs which are much less troublesome than the old "grains" and last much longer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you; I did purchase a multi-meter but it's still in the box! I will read the set of instructions this weekend and check the voltage as you recommend. It's a starting point and I am grateful.

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
All good Horace ...... you will find that there are plenty of people on here who will help you whenever you need a bit of steer ....... :thumbsup:

It might be a good move to add your rough location to your profile, it makes helping a little easier ....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The multi-meter is now out of the box. I have the red lead on the terminal showing a V and the black lead on COM with the V and underlined solid line in position which I believe to be for testing voltage on a direct current. When I touch each wire leading to and from the light bulb the numbers on the screen go haywire. Clearly I'm doing something wrong; help?

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
It sounds like the voltage is not DC ..... try setting your DM to AC voltage which is usually denoted by ~ symbol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you once again for your help in this matter. I am pleased to report that the light now works and following your recommendation it is now LED. It would now appear that the multi-meter was jumping around because I wasn't making a good contact. I used the transformer to activate a section of track so presumably it is DC. Sorry to be so naive but the outcome is very pleasing as I promised a Ferrari to our grandson for Christmas! He will race me with an E-type jaguar.

Attachments

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
Well done mate ...... :thumbsup:

Bright shiny lights are great ..... :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts