·
DT
5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Reference No: C3211
Class: Classic
Availability: 2011

The Scalextric model
From the successful range of historic race cars, this 1966 Daytona competitor joins the stable of over twenty Scalextric GT40 cars and fills an important historic place in the history of GT40 cars. Our extensive Le Mans issues are now complemented with the Daytona car.

History
Driven by F Grant & Marcus Heppenstall, the No.29 Ford GT-40, chassis no. P1049 recorded a DNF at Sebring in March 1970.
This car has previously been represented in the Scalextric range (C2755) when it was raced in a dark blue Gulf livery at Daytona. Chassis 1049 raced regularly at Daytona and Sebring in the USA during the 60's and in 1970.

Features
High detail. Head lights. Magnatraction with alternative magnet positions for driver choice. Quick-change guide blade.

·
David H
3,724 Posts
QUOTE (Doug @ 6 Oct 2011, 15:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Driven by F Grant & Marcus Heppenstall,
The car was driven by Francis Grant and Ray Heppenstall. Buzz Marcus was listed to drive, but didn't.

QUOTE (Doug @ 6 Oct 2011, 15:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>This car has previously been represented in the Scalextric range (C2755) when it was raced in a dark blue Gulf livery at Daytona.

I'm very puzzled as to why Scalextric has used the GT40 mkll body and not the correct GT40 body that they used for the Daytona version. Is this an error by Scalextric, or is it because the original mould is lost or they had a load of mkll bodies to use up? It's a nice car in a nice livery, but using the wrong body does seem a very odd decision.

Photos of Chassis GT40 P/1049

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
wrong back end, they should have used their later model. No hooks on the front either. Like the wing mirrors though

·
Registered
6 Posts
Despite the discrepancies between the actual car and the model produced by Scalextric, I've got mine on pre-order - As models go, the GT40 has been amazingly successful, this has to be one of my all time favorite classics from the Mk1 to Mk IV though I tend to favour the MK1 and frankly, they have become an addiction.

I have even been known to collect video clips of these monsters from YouTube and whilst racing on my modest set-up have their engines revving in the background, I know, I need to get a life lol.

Having said that, NSR are producing some lovely GT40's as is MRRC and now Slot It, I sincerely hope Slot It can improve on their new innovation (connection between wiring & guide) as I have felt a little disappointed with the overall quality of the work produced in China.

Overall, all these models perform very well on the track though, I have to admit that both NSR and Slot It are in a class all of their own.

Finally, that famous yellow, what a lovely livery, just like the No8 very striking, I guess the run has to come to an end at some point

Paul247

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
I have the Gulf Daytona version already, but do like the livery of this one. Saying that, the wrong back end is niggling at me!

Do I wait for the Slot it Le Mans 68 or go for this??

Trouble is with most manufacturers release dates are vague, with some liveries being dropped! (This beef must have been covered on here before!)

·
David J
3,182 Posts
I guess that most people who buy this wont mind too much (or even realise) that it's the wrong shape.

Great looking model that could/should have been more accurate.

If Adrian Norman is reading this can we have an explaination please?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hello DJ
Unfortunately, we are aware of the mistake and know that this car stayed as intended throughout it's racing life and was not converted to a MKII. Although our original data collection clearly shows the car as a MKI, somehow we managed to get it through production as a MKII in error.
My humble apologies for all of you who were expecting it to be a MKI and I understand that you might not add it to your collection for that reason. I know Allan, the guru of all things GT40 and regular on this site, will pull me up on it when I see him next.
Happy Racing/Collecting,
Adrian

·
David J
3,182 Posts
Thanks Adrian,
Hope the culprit has been taken around the back of the factory and shot..

Perhaps you should give Allan a job in quality control? Better still announce your plans on here before production starts and someone will quickly point out the mistakes.

All the best
DJ

·
Slot Car Racer and Builder
1,719 Posts
I am pretty sure that it was pointed out that the car in pictures was a MKII and it should have been a MKI when the car was announced way back when.

Bit of a shame really, when they have competition from slot.it and NSR that they drop the ball on what otherwise would have been a bold and different choice of livery. They even went to the effort to put the mirrors on it.

Kinda makes it hard to know whether to get it or not. On one hand it isn't a model of an actual race car and I don't collect fantasy liveries, on the other it is a Scalextric GT40 and aside form a couple of Ltd Ed cars, I have all of their 'modern' GT40s

cheers
DM

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hello DJ
I've given myself a stiff talking to!
Allan, the perfectionist he is, wouldn't pass any of our GT40 cars because of the limitations of making plastic replicas 32 times smaller than the original and, as is the case with our Ford GT40, the financial limitations of the viable number of extra moulding tools required to make the (in our estimation) required number of GT40 veriants such as the diffrent bonnet vents, wheel hubs, rear decks, petrol cap variations, rear boot space variants, etc.

I'll take you up on the challenge for our forthcoming GT40 release. Let's test the theory on the soon to arrive (yes, it already has been made) Ford GT40 MKII as raced at Daytona in 1966. Car is No95, chassis no P1031, and driven by Donohue and Hansgen.
All information gratefully received and will be taken in to consideration.
If this proves successful and we can move on to the next Ford GT40.

Happy Racing & Collecting
Adrian

·
1,719 Posts
Daytona in 1966. Car #95

Now that is a car I will be getting looking forward to its release.

First thing the 66 Daytona car didn't have the snorkels (air intakes) on the back as it did at Sebring when it was painted Blue and raced by Shelby/ Dan Gurney as the #2 car.(The Scalextric US Ltd Ed release)

At Daytona it was a Holman Moody entry. It also had the split scoop at the front not like the scoop on the #29.

cheers
DM

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Hi Adrian,

While Slot.it and NSR both currently produce GT40s, as did Fly, only Scalextric has made a GT40 that it actually to 1/32nd scale , so well done on that.

Here is a nice article on chassis P1047, which actually started life as chassis P1031, so get it right and you will have another version to make!

Key features of P1031 were the twin DZUS fasteners on the cowl and Halibrand wheels. Exoto produce a very nice 1:18th scale diecast model of this car.

With kind regards,

Russell

·
1,719 Posts
Hi Adrian
If you have the Shelby GT40 book by Dave Friedman there is a chapter on the Daytona race - you can see all the cars are missing the snorkels - the only clear shot of the rear deck is of the #97 car which was raced by Shelby but you can see from the photos where the #95 car is chasing the Shelby cars that they are all the same. In Ronnie Spain's book on page 51 there is a photo of the other Holman Moody car #87 and you can see it has no snorkels.

In Spain's book on page 52 - he writes "all four MK IIs (Holman Moody and Shelby) had various detail modifications from the Daytona trim, including the addition of rear brake air scoops mounted on top of the lightweight fibreglass tail sections."

If I can help by scanning these images and emailing them to you please contact me via PM
thanks
David

Shelby cars after Daytona -Air Scoops not visible.

A small photo of the #95 the air scoops if there would be visible.
http://www.exoto.com/images/gallery/images..._1_8_medium.JPG

While I am not suggesting that die cast makes should be used as a reference this car looks correct to me.
http://www.diecast.org/diecast98/html/asp/...x/reviewpix.htm

·
Registered
826 Posts
I'll admit I have not been particularly happy with many of my Scalextric purchases but Adrian's willingness to communicate in a two-way conversation on this forum has me re-considering my self-imposed ban on Scaley products.

Very impressive Adrian, thanks!

Randy

·
Registered
278 Posts
Thanks. We always take onboard what other enthusiasts think of a product and are only to happy to receive info on cars for the future.
We. other slot manufactureres can speak for themselves, do make mistakes from time to time and are quite happy to (though with a little embarrassment) discuss such openly. If it can help us avoid mistakes for the future.
The two current GT40 cars (#29 and #95) are a good example where we have used the wrong rear deck details. Avoidable, of course, so my hands are 'Up'. It is, ultimately, our fault and our apologies to GT40 fans.

Thank you to you all, for the information coming through. There are a few pics there which are really useful for reference purposes.
Please keep it coming.

Perhaps we should have a poll for the next GT40 livery!

Happy Racing/Collecting
Adrian

1 - 20 of 34 Posts