DT
8,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Ford Mustang Trans-Am BOSS 302 Bill Todd No.38

Reference No: C3107
Class: Classic American
Availability: May 2011

Exclusively produced by Scalextric.
Ideal to race against all of the American Muscle car range including Corvette Stingray, Chevrolet Camaro, Ford Mustang and Ford Torino cars. Both the Camaro and Mustang are equally matched for the new Pony Wars Challenge, as each model is complete with a full-length driver, adjustable traction magnet, sidewinder motor and self-centering guide blade.

History
This car is raced by Bill Todd in the US SVRA vintage racing series and is ideal to race against all of the Scalextric American muscle car range including Corvette Stingray, Chevrolet Camaro, Ford Mustang and Ford Torino cars. Exclusively produced by Scalextric.

Motor
Mabuchi SP
18k rpm
Gear ratio 11:36
Chassis
Rear Mounted Motor
Sidewinder
2 wheel drive
Magnet
Rectangular 2.5 mm
Down-force 300 gm
Overall length
147 mm
Wheelbase
85mm
Axle/Hub width
54 mm Front
54 mm Rear
Tyre diameter
19(ext), 9(int), 8 mm Front
20(ext), 9(int), 8 mm Rear
Weights
Car 80 gm
Case 156gm
Scale = 1/32

·
Registered
825 Posts
Scaley is producing some nice looking cars lately, too bad they're such lousy no-mag runners. If they got rid of the press-fit drive-train parts and used some real axles, wheels and gears, maybe it would be time to start buying Scaley cars again.

Randy

·
Stuart Wood
351 Posts
Randy - can't agree about the latest Scaleys being lousy non-mag. Granted, the FF motored cars are genuinely awful, but have you tried for example: Ferrari 430, Audi R8, Ford GT to name but a few. More fun than a tornado in a trailer park

Cheers,
Stu

·
Pete Shepherd
1,693 Posts
QUOTE I've only purchased Slot It and NSR cars for the past couple of years.

Which cost considerably more than Scalextric cars but I suppose you get what you pay for.

QUOTE If they got rid of the press-fit drive-train parts and used some real axles, wheels and gears, maybe it would be time to start buying Scaley cars again.

I think the difference in price to NSR and Slot it justifies using plastic gears and "non real/fake" parts.
You might also like to consider that NSR cars in particular seem to be a bit generous in size for 1/32 cars where as Scalextric tend to be very near to scale, a wide low race car such as an NSR will always be better on track than a scale Scalextric car. I should think you'd have as much fun racing 4 scalextric cars together as you would 4 Slot it's or NSR's.

BTW, I think Scalextric have made a very good job of this car, I think it looks great.

Pete

·
Stuart Wood
351 Posts
My only real problem with Scaley is that you can't fit slot-it or NSR tyres cos of the central ridge on the wheels being an odd size. Constantly applying WD40 improves the stock tyres, but I'd prefer something a little more grippy.
Ideally, I'd also prefer standard sizes for the axle/bushes, and yeah, knurled axles are a pain if you want to change wheels.
Even so, the quality of the latest cars is excellent - they may not win races against the likes of slot-it/NSR but for most home slotters they're fast enough, good fun and IMHO great value for money.
Cheers
Stu

·
Peter Farrell
2,093 Posts
Ortmann make tyres to fit Scalex wheels.

QUOTE (HuntTheshunt @ 12 May 2011, 16:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>My only real problem with Scaley is that you can't fit slot-it or NSR tyres cos of the central ridge on the wheels being an odd size. Constantly applying WD40 improves the stock tyres, but I'd prefer something a little more grippy.
Ideally, I'd also prefer standard sizes for the axle/bushes, and yeah, knurled axles are a pain if you want to change wheels.
Even so, the quality of the latest cars is excellent - they may not win races against the likes of slot-it/NSR but for most home slotters they're fast enough, good fun and IMHO great value for money.
Cheers
Stu

·
42 Yrs
2,230 Posts
Nice to see a modern take on a classic car coming to market... Like it...

I agree a bit more "standardisation" on wheels axles and bearings would not be a bad thing... I for one would be more willing to buy a scaley car to hop up for racing if i felt confident the massive range of parts available form other manufacturers (and my spares box) would be a direct fit to the car...

Whilst scalextric offer an upgrade route... its a non standard 3mm axle/wheels/bearings setup... I kind of get the feeling that they are a bit like king canute... The tide of upgrade parts has turned to standards other than 3mm... but still they sit there trying to push back the sea... shame.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Pioneer tyres will fit on the rear too, and for each pioneer you buy you get a free set of tyres for your scaley!!

Look out for the standard loose left front axle mount too, standard on all scaley mustangs. they do run better with that fixed.

I've got to disagree with the theory of scaley not running well non mag. I mean sure, nsr, slot it etc are better for non mag but i don't believe this kind of performance orientation is what scaley is about. one of these mustangs with basic running mods(for best grip i tend to fit ortmanns to mine also - 28log or 28l) is great fun, with good performance and consistent behaivior.

I would not expect one to beat either of the scaley camaro's or for that matter the pioneer cars but still, a great looking car with a typical scalextric approach to manufacture - ie the axle will have too much slop, the bearings also due to fitting them over knurled axles, braid will be hard and uneven, etc. Make no mistake I'm not being critical, just observant. There is nothing on my list that is not a simple fix, and nothing that would hassle a 10yo mag runner on the lounge floor racing his dad on a sunday afternoon..

For romantic reasons i prefer the moffat coke car, but still, I'll be getting this one for sure.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I'm not sure why you would disagree with my non-mag assessment. Scaley cars may run well-enough for you non-mag but even with urethane tires and some weight, I find most of them to be more hassle than they are worth, for me. There's really nothing to disagree with here. I would prefer to spend $130.00 on one good-running car then the same amount on three or four poor running cars. I buy very few cars now-a-days, so I only buy certain manufacturers' products.

As I mentioned, I think Scaley has some great-looking cars, but the running gear is absolute carp.

Randy

·
Registered
779 Posts
I do agree that nsr, slot it make a faster product. neither manufacturer makes a trans am car, and truth be told, should they do so I wouldn't be too thrilled to have it make my other trans ams redundant, as they are generally great fun to run. Pioneer have done a great job releasing a range of trans-am cars that are close to scaley.

my whole point quite simply is i consider these cars to be entertaining non mag runners.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Friend of mine picked this up and its an absolute screamer! WAY fast, Something about those Mustangs they just seem lighter than the other T/As which, I think, helps them just put down crushing lap times.
Regards,

-- Rakete --

·
Tel
4,384 Posts
Looks great despite the obvious visual shortcomings, but I suspect they still haven't updated the chassis to the new guide blade ?
The round ones aren't perfect by any means, but I prefer them to the old type found on the Mustangs.

·
Premium Member
5,599 Posts
Shame they can't spend a little on the chassis and have it run with their DPR chip (now that thats fixed), would make for a great club car now trhere is a range of American muscle from the same period.

·
David H
4,320 Posts
I've just bought this and was surprised when I opened the box to see that the colour is much darker than that shown in Scalextric's promo pics. It also has a waxy looking finish which looks very much as if it's coloured plastic rather than paint. It's still a nice looking car and I'm pleased with it, but if I'd particularly wanted the bright red as advertised, I'd have been very disappointed. Hopefully Scalextric will update their promo pics now the real car has been produced.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive design

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

Car Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Tire

C3107-with-track-900.jpg

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.