Discussion Starter · #1 ·

FORD RS200 Rally: 1986 Costa Brava No.4

Driver: A Zanini & Josep Autet

Reference No: C3305
Type: Single car, crystal box
Class: Rally
Availability: September 2012

The Scalextric model
Originally a 1984-86 4-Wheel Drive Group B Rally Car, the famous rally car from Ford was extensively used in rallying and rallycross and can still be seen in competition today.

History
On the 20th February 1986 in Lloret de Mar, the 24th Rally Costa Brava started. The three day rally, run on asphalt occasionally covered with gravel and snow, saw 94 teams start the race. A high attrition rate saw 64 cars retire, including the No.4, Group B, Ford RS200 of Antonio Zanini and Josep Autet.

Features
High detail. Magnatraction. Quick-change guide blade. DPR

·
Registered
66 Posts
Nice can't fault the design and shape, but Scaley PLEASE please please ditch the current driver figure mold and do a new one.
Scaley must be one of the only slot car makers that still produce dreadful looking drivers...

·
Circuit Owner
5,913 Posts
You hit the nail on the head there Alvarez.

I just bought an AutoArt rally car and I was astonished to see the pupils of the co-driver's eyes were painted to look down at the pace notes and the driver's pupils make his eyes look at the road ahead.

What's more - the co-driver's pace notes are actually LEGIBLE!!! Amazing detail.

Scalextric take note - your rally figures don't make the grade any more.

·
Peter Rondel
6,022 Posts
QUOTE (Screwneck @ 10 Aug 2012, 22:15) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>This is "high detail" ?

Compared to the high resistant it is.

Main question is, does someone care for high detail? Or is it just the fact that the big players dont give a sh#t about the core people of teh hobby. High detail also has its price, and what I see with Racer cars......the dont see the track too often.

Sigh, were has the time gone that chinese kids were building these things for 1 pound a day and we could sleep tight knowing they will probably do that for many moons in a row without hols.

Aaaaa, I get me coat.

·
David J
3,182 Posts
Have there been redundancies at Scalextric recently? Starting to wonder if they have anybody in their quality control or marketing departments. None of the faults pointed out in recent models are particularly important (depending on your viewpoint) but they are avoidable. Someone, somewhere should be looking at these models and images before they're released and saying "hang on a minute, there's something not quite right here."

Perhaps their "consumer promotions manager" is spending too much time at the race track and not enough time in the office...

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
QUOTE (DJ @ 11 Aug 2012, 19:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Perhaps their "consumer promotions manager" is spending too much time at the race track and not enough time in the office...

QUOTE (Adrian Norman @ 11 Aug 2012, 20:53) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>We are looking in to the points raised. Thanks for your input.
Happy Racing
You've probably got a bit more time now

Source: Scalextric FB

Sorry, couldn't resist that one ....and yes, I know it wasn't really you driving.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Thanks for the feedback on the detailing issues.
Firstly, I can say that there will be a co-driver in the RS200.

When we have a car which is near to production 'sign-off' but not quite (e.g., in this case, co-driver missing) I have to make a decision as to whwther we accept it for photography purposes only or wait for another sample to come back from the factory with the errors corrected. The balancing act is "you guys have to wait longer" vs. "my eagerness to show you a picture of the new Scalextric car". So, sometimes I will release pictures of cars which aren't quite as production will see (actually, much more often than you realise - but most errors are hard to detect and some very easy).

The amount of detail is always something that is arguable. Many reasons for including or excluding, from licensing to customer wishes and all the grey areas between. For instance, if a team changes tyre provider then they may ask for previous tyre sponsor to be removed from our version of their Scalextric car. Another exammple, may be that the customer doesn't want to pay extra money to be able to read the fictitious pace notes on the co-drivers board whilst other customers do wish to have that level of detail. Someone may wish to point out that the driver's pace note legibility isn't as important as the thickness of the wheel arches or broom handle scale of the roof aerial. All are a mixture of customer-wishes/engineering/licensing/marketing. This is a subject we could discuss the rights and wrongs about for ever - there really isn't an answer that will suit everybody. However, your views and wishes are an important part of the decision processes. Specifically, if I read your views here on SF about what is expected from the product then it is taken on board - as is the information from all other avenues of enquiry in to Hornby.

So, picture releases! They aren't necessarily exactly as per production but released early to quench your thirst for information. They are simply promotional marketing releases. Balance that alongside, as I have often said, the fact that we take your feedback very seriously indeed.

For those of you who do not like the rally driver in the RS200 you will be pleased to know that we will change the driver for future RS200 (not, sadly, for the one above as that is already produced).

Happy Racing

·
David H
3,791 Posts

Attachments

·
David J
3,182 Posts
QUOTE (Dopamine @ 14 Aug 2012, 00:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It's a new car. (and a rather bland livery

"History
On the 20th February 1986 in Lloret de Mar, the 24th Rally Costa Brava started. The three day rally, run on asphalt occasionally covered with gravel and snow, saw 94 teams start the race. A high attrition rate saw 64 cars retire, including the No.4, Group B, Ford RS200 of Antonio Zanini and Josep Autet."

It failed to finish the 1986 Rally Costa Brava, how much more significant would you like??

Pretty sure this is a release that is destined to sell in very small numbers. (I'm sure Mr Zanini will buy one.)

And Adrian,
How much effort would it have taken to get a co-driver in there before the photographer got hold of it?

·
Jon Grainger
3,825 Posts
Although it isn't the most well known colour scheme, it is a very nice livery, simple and clean.

Regarding the whole co-driver situation, not much they can do about the posted photos now, they've acknowledged it, and are going to change it. Perhaps in future there will be small disclaimer on the press release stating that the car is a pre-production model, and what changes are to be made.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
The Scalextric RS200 is a great little car, I looked after a stage at the Slot Festival this year with one on it, and apart from the braids material being a bit poor it ran all day with no problems, I tried it myself and thought it was a nice handling rally car, pity the driver looks like Morph.

In fact this thread has reminded me what a good car it is so I've bought one from Modelzone.

·
Matt Tucker
3,550 Posts
Well done to Scalextric (in the guise of Adrian) taking the time to respond in a very open and honest way, and also provide a really positive response.

There will be a co-driver in this release and new figures for future models. The new figures will probably mean I will get another RS200 to go along with my Swedish livered version.

Matt

1 - 20 of 22 Posts