SlotForum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my wish list I have one of the lastest Focuses (should that be Focii?). Probably C2802, but C2883, C2962, C3090 or C3203 would suffice.

TBH, I'm wary of the FWD/4WD. I've already got some 4WD cars (SCX quattro, Integrale, Lancer and Corolla) of which only 2 are any good in 4WD mode. The band-driven quattro was positively hopeless and I now use it RWD only. I don't have a problem with doing this.

So what are the Scalextric cars with front-mounted motors like? Do they drive OK? Anyone know that they drive like with the band removed, should I decide to run band-less?

TIA
Stuart.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
The Scalextric Focus is shite, mine never comes out of it's box now, buy a Ninco Focus, it's a very good slot car, and on special offer at Top Slots n Trains so is cheaper than the Scalextric pile of poo.

·
Prof I T
Ting Tong
11,085 Posts
hi
i have had several of the scaley 4x4 rally cars in the past and due to production tolerances they vary greatly in performance and handling.

The focus i had flew down the straights but rolled very easily in the corners,suspect high centre of gravity on this one,the pug 307 was faster than any of the alms,lmp prototypes that i now prefer,it was like a limpit round the corners,the skoda fabia,wich is a strange setup to the others as it's rear motor and uses belt to the front was painfully slow in a straight line and marginal round the corners.

The main problem with the cars is the differences in the belt tension,to tight and they pull all the axle play to one side and are slow in a straight line to loose and in front drive mode wheelspin aplenty..

My advice based on above experiences would be to give them a miss unless your a rally die hard and they may end up being used as scenic items..

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
I agree with Julian, but he said it far better than I ever could

I have the FWD focus & tried many ways to make it a better runner with no real success. I ended up moving the motor to the rear & making it a side winder

I also have two subarus that are FWD, the blue one is a waste of time, but I also have Rob Gills white one & that runs a lot better ?. Both the same car.

I do only race on wood, maybe on plasic with magents they are better ?.

TBH, I will never buy another FWD scaly car. I nearly got the stobart focus as I liked the looks of it, but as it is FWD I said no.

Cheers Paul.

·
Registered
641 Posts
The Scalextric Rally cars with the motors up front driving the front wheels with rubber bands to the rear wheels! How did they ever get into production? Ninco everytime for me. Better than the SCX models too. Still not perfect by any means. The Ninco Focus seems to have incredible, bone shaking axle tramp problems under sharp acceleration. The Lancer, and the 307 both have guides that keep the front end qhite high up, almost as bad as old Scalextric cars that ran on the guide not the front wheels. Best one for me by a mile is the Citroen. They all look great though.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I have 3 of these myself, the Chris Atkinson Subaru, Solberg Subaru and the Stobart Focus. All 3 cars would have been better if they were sidewinders but they can be fun when you race them against each other. The Focus used to come unstuck quite often where as the Subarus would hug the track. After checking the downforce of the magnets I noticed that the Subarus had a lot more than the Focus so I put a stronger mag in the Focus and it now is competetive against the Subarus. As bigbird said the high centre of gravity of the Focus was the main problem, just tipped at most corners so was left in the box for sometime. I've also removed the spring from the guide which seems to help as well. As for running these cars without mags Im sorry but I can't help there as I run my cars with mags straight from the box.
cheers
Matt

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
QUOTE (not alone after all @ 11 Sep 2011, 16:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The Ninco Focus seems to have incredible, bone shaking axle tramp problems under sharp acceleration.

I've got a Pro Race Impreza that is like that, but my Focus is very smooth, the fastest rally car I've got is the Ninco Porsche 911SC which is two wheel drive.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have Scaleys orange Stobart focus and out of the box it was quite bad on the track.
However after opening it up and moving the magnet to the rear it drives alot better, It does lack in straight line speed but its very good in the corners by being very tame and rarely ever threatening to de-slot. Its by far the easiest car to drive around my sport track and if you could pair them up im sure you could have alot of very close races due to the fact that you wouldnt have to keep stopping to put your cars back on the track.

Short video I made awhile back, this is prior to swapping the magnet to the rear which afterwards improves its speed.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you, everyone, for the input here.

I think I'll give-up on the 2005-2010 rally cars. WRC was, after all, just a 2-horse race in that period.

Cheers
Stuart.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Scalextric makes terrible rally cars; they are useful only to look at. low ground clearance & bad engineering make them completely useless unless you are just going to put around w/ magnets. awful for real rally racing.
Ninco, SCX, Spirit, Avant Slot, & MSC make rally cars you can actually rally with. If you can find the old Scalex cars, they're not bad. i have an RS200 w/ round wheels & machined metal pulleys, & the guide is a normal one. also a Porsche 959 w/ the same set-up.
if you want real 4x4 w/ power to spare, look into the Avant Slot Peugeot or Subaru; the Mitsu is also good, i'm just having adjustment issues w/ mine. My Ninco Pro Mitsu is always a strong contender, as is that of their Focus. Ninco offers different shock strengths & drive belts w/ different tensions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts