Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
David H
3,722 Posts
Having heard reports that Scalextric's new Jim Clark Lotus 49 is missing cockpit dials and is a noticeably different red from its Graham Hill stablemate/predecessor, I made a request for a photo of the two cars side by side so that I could compare the colours prior to purchasing the new model.

GregK kindly provided this comparison photo. He was unable to post it in the original thread, so I've posted it here because I'm sure I'm not the only one who will want to see it. I'm certain that individually the cars look great, but as a team it's pretty poor. Scalextric appears to be suffering the pitfalls of Chinese quality control...

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Cheers Dopamine i have always loved the 49 and was about to fork out part of my pension on one but seeing the picture you posted i put the brakes on i actually have seen these cars in the glory days and where the hell did they get the orange reddy colour from, ever thought of a career in public service!!. Keith.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
QUOTE With regards to the New Lotus 49, I received mine a couple of days ago, I have a few issues with poor quality control, the screen was not seated properly, I had to pick away at the glue from the inside to get the locating pin to sit in the body properly, the drivers right hand was miles away from the driving wheel and needed to be glued in place. Both of these problems were quite easy to fix, if a little irritating, I did however notice another problem today, unlike the other Lotus 49s I have, this model does not have dials on the instrument panel! Is my car missing a decal or is this common to this particular model C3311? Regards Jason

I've copied my post over from the other thread, I noticed that other posts by myself and others had been deleted yesterday evening, I assume because they were off topic, what bugs me is this was done without any explanation or notification, against what I believed was Forum custom and etiquette. Kind Regards Jason

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
QUOTE (valie @ 30 Sep 2012, 07:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Say nothing about the unattached and skew steering wheel and the lack of seat belts ...
The lack of seat belts is probably correct.

·
Peter Rondel
6,022 Posts
I bought this lotus for a respray in gulf livery..... Made it pretty easy tomake thatwork. But ifyouwere after a realgoldleaf livery, it is very disappointing to see they completely missed the color.

·
Living the Life&#33;
11,082 Posts
Apart from the colour; the missing dials; ? missing seat belts; my model now reveals itself to have the air intakes on a skew, especially the left side ....

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
I think the seat belts were added post purchase by the owner of the Hill car pictured in post one (as were the Gold Leaf side decals).

My original Hill car has no belts.

Cheers,

Philip

·
David H
3,722 Posts
QUOTE (GregK @ 30 Sep 2012, 14:42) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
my model now reveals itself to have the air intakes on a skew, especially the left side ....
sad.gif

Greg, the angle of your intakes doesn't look very different from two of the four 49s I have. I only have top shots of these two, but the trumpet angles match your latest Clark Gold Leaf car. The blue Siffert and Gold Leaf Hill cars have trumpets that are more upright. All the cars in my photos are unmodified.

scalextric-c3206-08-800.jpg

scalextric-c2843aw-08-800.jpg

scalextric-c3206-01-714.jpg
scalextric-c2843aw-01-714.jpg
scalextric-c3092-01-714.jpg
scalextric-c2964-01-714.jpg

Attachments

·
Nobby Berkshire
2,015 Posts
QUOTE the pitfalls of Chinese quality control

It's a bit sad that people blame the 'generalised Chinese' when it's the manufacturing company who is responsible to ensure good quality production is maintained. It would be nice to see this way of looking at the hobby thought about a bit more, especially when so many fantastic models and parts come out of Chinese factories that look great and perform well through so many different slotcar companies.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Thanks for the heads up, I'm after one of these, but I'll have to wait till they are in the shops and I can see one myself rather than buying blind on the internet.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I am in the middle of a L49B conversion and getting the right colour is an issue for me. I've looked at tons of pics in books I have and on tinternet and I am more than half convinced that in 1968 the red of GLTL was noticeably orangier than of, certainly, 1970, which looks a lot redder.

·
David J
3,182 Posts
QUOTE (Fastjet57 @ 1 Oct 2012, 09:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I am more than half convinced
Are we talking 0.6, 0.9 or somewhere in between.

Good luck with your project, hope you find the colour you're happy with as that is all that really matters.
I hope you'll show us when it's finished.

·
Registered
442 Posts
In the picture it is not as bright red as I would have expected, but it could also have to do with the age of the photo.

·
David H
3,722 Posts
I have no idea what shade the real red was back in 1968; light red, dark red, orange/red, they all look nice to me. My only disappointment is that Scalextric has produced team cars that don't match.

I spent a while searching period photos and thought it would help those interested if they were all gathered here. Make of them what you will. Two things do seem certain: the mirrors on Scalextric's Clark Gold Leaf car are the wrong shape and colour, and the Hill Gold Leaf and blue Siffert models have their intake trumpets too vertical.

clark-gold-leaf-01.jpg

clark-gold-leaf-02.jpg

clark-gold-leaf-03.jpg

clark-gold-leaf-04.jpg

clark-gold-leaf-05.jpg

Clark - Wigram 1968
clark-wigram-1968.jpg

Clark - Warwick Farm 1968
clark-warwick-farm-1968-01.jpg

Clark - Warwick Farm 1968
clark-warwick-farm-1968-02.jpg

clark-tasman-1968.jpg