Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya,

(image from scalextric.co.uk)

I recently purchased the above, and have found the rear axle moves considerably from side to side (2-3mm) and I wondered what I could do to stop this.

(dispite this, I love the car!)

Thanks!

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
Rear axle sideways movement is a no no and robber of good performance.

Easiest method is remove the hubs and add washers (go to B&Q and buy the smallest metal ones you can find) and then add them to both sides so wheel spacing is even. You want it so you can't see movement but you can feel a bit - if its too tight then the motor will have to work too hard to turn it. Glue the hubs back on and add a drop or two of oil to the washers and bearings.

Matt

·
Graham Windle
4,442 Posts
Would moped aggree with this or perhaps it would be deemed as cheating

( just bitchin)

seriously the spur gear has moved down the axle and as matt says the bst cure is to use spacers and glue a cheap source is a a chuppa chupp lolly pop stick cut into the required sizes ,

you also get to eat the lolly as an added bonus

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
The things you learn on this forum! I take it you have children, Grah?
Great tip! My own kids are going to be pleased- 'here, eat these quick before mum gets home....'

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Chuppa Chupp lolly pop sticks?
I've never heard of these!
When I were a lad, lollypop sticks were thin flat wood, as per the famed/infamous Popsicle chassis of BWamini Al Penrose. You surely couldn't be suggesting cutting out tiny washers from these? So I'm guessing Chuppa Chups have high tech hollow man-made 'sticks'? Come on Grah, let's be having some details, assembly instructions and photos please!

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
They are about 3/32" internal diameter and about 1mm thick (don't mix your measurements!). Plastic tubing, basically. I can imagine they would be quite filly to work with though.

Lotus

·
Graham Windle
4,442 Posts
I usualy get my wife to distribute a bag of lollys in her university class ,get the students to do the work (sucking the lollys) and collect the results .

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
The Scaley GT40 isn't the only sidewinder configured car to exhibit this flaw. FLY's Lola T70, and Porsche 908/2 both have too much lateral play in their rear axles. No doubt there may well be other sidewinder cars which are guilty. But as can be seen the problem is easily rectified.

Mark.

G

·
..........just cut the end off the axle!

.........then head towards the shops for some light weight lolly axles, but remember brush your teeth after eating them!

..............wonder if they do carbon fibre lolly sticks?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts