SlotForum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a recommendation how to permanently attach sponsor logos to Scalextric guard rails? I tried several different types of decal/sticker sheets, but they all seem to start curling away from the barrier after about 30 days. The surface on the plastic guard rail is wavy and the stickers don't seem to adhere well enough to stay attached. I know that I could swap out the Armco barriers for solid smooth walls (out of plastic or PVC trim), but I like the look of the barriers.

I am wondering if members have used two-sided tape or a particular adhesive with success?

I weather my guard rails with Vallejo black "game wash" a few years ago. I think it made the guard rails look more realistic, but perhaps the acrylic paint has contributed to this curling problem?

Thanks,

Chris

Guard Rail Sticker Problem.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
352 Posts
Agree with you on the look. As they age, they get a really nice rubbed/worn look like paint from the cars as well!

Have had good luck with printing on card stock and then gluing them on. Loctight CA glue works, and I have another epoxy type adhesive that works but don't remember the name. Will try to post a pic tomorrow.

You can see how mine look in my track thread, Basement Track (I know....original right?).

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
It's the chemicals (probably plasticisers) being exuded from the plastic causing this ........... years ago I saw some flexible strips of a very inert type of plastic with a rib on the back, about 5mm deep. The idea is that the ribs wedges into the gap in the armco then you apply the decal to it.

I haven't seen any about but then I have not been looking for them.

Have a llok at the Slot Track Scenics webby as they tend to have things like this.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Double sided foam tape can create a strong bond. The spongy foam will conform better to the wavy surface of the guard rails. Wash the guard rails with detergent and water, attach the stickers to the foam tape, and then attach to the guard rail.

You may also consider first applying the stickers to a smooth cardboard backing. These will provide a stiffer support for your stickers, which will improve durability, help minimize damage and give a more professional appearance. Apply the sticker to the cardboard backing, then apply to the foam tape, then stick on the guard rail.

Another method is to apply your stickers to a stiff cardboard backing and then simply prop these freestanding billboards up against the guardrails. This works best in curves of course where the billboard can stand up by itself.

Billboards can be cut to any height and length. I have made many banners that are the same height as the guardrail itself, the same size as the examples you show.

I've used all of these methods.

The billboard in the photo is about 3-4 inches tall. It can be free-standing or attached to the guardrail with tape.

Slot Car Track_Barriers 1 - Copy.JPG

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts