SlotForum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

· Graham Windle
4,973 Posts
my own personal preference in guides are the parma type jet flag ,followed by philippes tsrf guide and the mrrc lemans type guide,but unfortunatly none are allowed in our rules so that leaves us with the fly guide ,carrera and the slot it none of wich are perfect .The carrera has the best braid system but has a poor shaft ,the slot it I feel is too long at the rear and needs cutting and the fly isnt a direct replacement as the shaft is too short.
my preferered guides are all leading guides ie the post is at the back where as the others are trailing guide the post is at the front ,and from a scale point of view its easier to hide with this latter type ,but I have always felt the handling suffers with this type of guide and leads to more unpredictable handling where as the leading guide slows the handling down and gives more feed back to the driver.
Ill put me soap box away now

· Registered
2,372 Posts
QUOTE (a Bill @ 2 Nov 2004, 17:16)I've only been to a few real road races but the ones I was at had absolutely NO cars with the back end hanging out in the turns. Not once. <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Go to a vintage race. Or check out the Goodwood or Laguna Seca races on Speed. You'll see sliding! And those guys are being somewhat careful!? I do think that modern F1 and Prototype cars are more scale with magnets, but vintage cars should slide. Plus it's more fun!

· Brian Ferguson
4,318 Posts
QUOTE "absolutely NO cars with the back end hanging out in the turns"

See Gilles Villenerve's driving for details...

And... he was even doing it in the era of turbos and ground-effects. He wasn't alone even then though, there were others, like Arnoux, who could put them through turns at ridiculous angles without burying them in the walls.

The 60's F1 proxy car I built, even though I don't think I ran it for more than 20 laps or so (had to mail it off ASAP.... or so I thought but that's been recounted elsewhere, right, dear?
) brought back many memories of the older F1's slithering around Mosport.

It's true that modern F1's, Sports cars, etc., don't look like they are drifting, but lesser cars and older cars definitely do! Give me no-mag for some real fun!

· Nobby Berkshire
1,987 Posts
There are some good tips here, but why Scalex can't be bothered to make a guide that's deep enough to trigger its own laptimer on some cars is a mystery. And the newest circular guide offers no added length whilst being quite expensive to replace in comparison to the blue and previously black guides. I mean, we shouldn't have to be glueing on bits of plastic to such a basic part of the stock car, should we?

The Challenger guide is the worst on the market as it lifts out of the slot as the car turns on corners (only leaving about 1.5mm in the slot). I've used a similar thing to DE38 on the Challenger with angled styrene from a local rail hobby store, but I didn't use that amount of back-end overhang. Doesn't it get bogged down on Radius 1 curves and hairpins?

I think that Ninco make the best designed guides available (especially the sprung grey types). They are deeper and more durable than any other stock parts and cheaper than most

· Registered
105 Posts
QUOTE Doesn't it get bogged down on Radius 1 curves and hairpins?

Yes, it certainly would, but I worked the Caddy to be run strictly on a large comm. track , so far the guide has held up well, the tightest curve on this track is about the same as an SCX outer curve

DE38

· Registered
2,547 Posts
Grading drivers by guide depth? I just use whatevers on the car on club night, couldnt care less lol basically why make it so complicated? if you need a deep guide, learn to drive! Sorry but at the end of the day the best driver should be able to beat a good driver with an average car.

were getting back to driver and setup here

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.