SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The November edition of MotorSport magazine carries a book review of "Scalextric, The definitive guide" and a positive comment on the hobby and it's current healthy growth by the venerable WB (Bill Boddy who has written for the magazine since the 1930s) who admits to having once owned a Scalextric set.

Boddy's final paragraph poses the question as to whether a Brooklands set had ever been tried - this could be of interest to Adrian Norman to consider and maybe a hint to Jeff Davies to drop the magazine a line about the museum display and some of those great monster rail racers in his collection.

David

·
Administrator
9,652 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up David. The November issue is already out on Oct. 15??? I'll look for it at WH Smith's here.

I've been tracking slot articles in motoring and general magazines for 70 odd years now, and we seem to be entereing a very healthy period. The articles also seem to be a little less ignorant than the run of the mill stuff in the 60s...

But there is one constant: about 9 out of 10 articles start with: "the Jag was leading the Ferrari into the turn, when suddenly it spun off the road and turned over. But nobody was hurt because..." And that hasn't changed too much in the last 40 years...
Don

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
QUOTE Probably the same journalist writing nine out of ten of the articles, that's why.

If it's Motor Sport then that's highly likely, though it beats the 'Ferrari are swearing to...' mangled tabloid speak of certain other publications.

Meanwhile I'm happy to report that I can do Brooklands with my Carrera high banked track. Working out how to do the Campbell Circuit will be fun though!

G

·
Thank You David,
Now as the museum display is going well. I think it would be great for Scalextric to make a Brooklands set which could be sold in the Museum shop along side the books I am going to give them to sell to raise money for the museum.

I could also put one of the cars out of the set in the museum display.

Come on Adrian let Scalextric make some more slot car History.

Jeff.

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I get my MotorSport on subscription Don so I usually get it a little bit before it appears in the shops.

Bill Boddy used to run Miniature News, a small column in MotorSport magazine back in the 60s about the latest die-casts and he would sometimes review slot cars. He is obviously a fan of models as he often refers to the large scale car models that were used as publicity props in car showrooms back in the 20s and 30s.

David

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
David, Dare I ask your views on the redesign?

Sorry to say - because I like the magazine and the people who work on it - I am finding it hard not to dislike it.

·
Administrator
9,652 Posts
David, yes, I'm so used to doing corporate magazines that come out randomly, or at best a few weeks (or months...) late, that I forget these magazines are traditionally ahead of their cover dates... Seems this was getting so ridiculous at some point (November issue in September, etc) that it calmed down - and then everybody was late!
Anyway, Smith's said they'd have it around the 20th...

Sorry for my own random ramblings... I do in fact remember that WB was involved in Model Cars, and I believe he was a guest columnist for Model Cars on occasion, especially in their premier issue (April 64), when he reviewed the whole history of model racing cars. Didn't know he did the miniature column in the 60s, though... if you have a photocopy or two of his comments on slot cars I'd be interested.

Jeff, great idea for the Brooklands set - with a Napier-Railton and Birkin Bentley for instance - an instant classic! (don't know how many they'd really sell, though, except for a couple hundred of us on this board! - beware the allure of the older Classics, never a big slot car seller I believe, re Bugatti, Auto Union, etc. - of course, I think their Bentley and Alfa Romeo did better)
Don

PS: if anybody really wants to know what the motoring or general mags said about slot cars I can provide copies, anything from Business Week to Playboy (no story I'm afraid, just pictures...)

G

·
I sure would like to see them bring out a Brooklands set with those two cars in Don
I think it would sell really well.

Best wishes,

Jeff.

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Scott

I've read MotorSport since about 1963 and I've got an almost complete run from 1959 to the mid 1980s.

To read DSJ's race reports and his Continental Correspondent columns back in the 1960s before the races were televised transported me there, his writing was magical and captured totally the atmosphere and individual character of the different Grand Prix and the great Endurance Races - I could almost feel the heat of the sun in his reports on a race at Reims and his accounts of chance meetings with the great drivers of the time in a roadside cafe on their way to the next race were spellbinding.

When MotorSport changed in the early 1990s and became a classic car magazine rather than a magazine reporting on the current scene I continued to buy it but it had lost it's original appeal for me. You can't beat a contemporary race report accompanied by original photographs from a journalist who was there, articles today about the classic scene are fine up to a point but I use them as a starting point for my research on a model car rather than totally relying on them.

When they ditched the traditional green cover the other month and the page layouts it passed me by without a thought as for me the magazine was no longer that special to me. As a classic car and racing magazine I quite like it so I guess I agree with you Scott.

Sorry for the lengthy reply but you did ask!!

Don

Any excuse for an evening looking through my magazine collection, I'll see what I can find on slot cars.

David

G

·
WB when to a rail race meeting as he was into model car racing many years ago.

so could Scott or somebody please let them know about the display?

Jeff.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
The very first page of the new Motor Sport- although it looks like an advert- is in fact about the Brooklands Museum, and mentions models as one of the features-so you're in there, Rail!

I'm a little disappointed in the new format myself. The mag seems to have lost it's distinctive 'retro' class. Never mind- it's still the best of its kind. AND there's a feature on the Lotus 23! ( it's a personal thing...) AND a Williams FW07 technical drawing... and much else besides.

I am, yours, etc

Howmet TX

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
A "Brooklands type" set is actively under consideration at Hornby with possibly the use of old style packaging!

Its down to whether it would sell or not as sets are generally purchased for youngsters by dad who has a sneeky interest anyway and it is possibly too far back in history for the average dad of 30 to 40 to relate to but you never know!

To capture the "adult only" market then a set of this type might work.

Moped

·
Premium Member
5,398 Posts
QUOTE A "Brooklands type" set is actively under consideration at Hornby with possibly the use of old style packaging!

Well I can't help thinking that that would work rather well. Certainly a potential to open the mature market up further and one to be applauded if they do it.

Where do you get your info from, Mope? More rhetorical than anything, not expecting an answer, really.

Motorsport? I noticed a letter that was my thought out but not written one to a tee; too many fonts. Also, by aping other popular magazines it defeats itself, it isn't unique; the content maybe but the style is straight out of the mold. Shame. Kinda makes me think that if they are going to look like the others then some folks buying it might expect more current info. I know I wish they would include some more contemporary reports; Sportscars, DTM, JGTC (Oh, yes, Ninco may have buckled under my onslaught but I'll not be losing that missionary zeal just yet!), IRL NASCAR etc.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
QUOTE Where do you get your info from, Mope?

I didn't get it from anywhere. Hornby had this idea from me a while back and I think its a winner myself.

Moped

G

·
I think Scalextric should definitely make this set.

Their are very exciting plans for Brookland Track site including the museum and the huge complex that Mercedes had bought including completely restoring the one Brookland race track back to working order.

I also think it would make a wonderful venue to promote a new set as this is a place with unique historical province unmatched by any other site in the world.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
QUOTE (moped rider @ 16 Oct 2004, 10:02)QUOTE Where do you get your info from, Mope?

I didn't get it from anywhere. Hornby had this idea from me a while back and I think its a winner myself.

Moped
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dear god! So he does know what a question mark is!

McLaren

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Any Brooklands set should of course contain the new Scalextric Banked Track.

Really any MotoGP set with vintage F1 cars and classic box packaging will do but ditch the window in the MotoGP box lid as the artwork on the Brooklands set should be something capable of being framed. In fact it has to be said that some folk here would argue that the best thing about MotoGP is that it might lead to a Brooklands set!

So every cloud has a silver lining!

Moped

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
No but we may think that Moto GP sets should be framed with a brass plaque applied stating "Another stupid idea and wastes of time , money and effort`

1 - 20 of 25 Posts