SlotForum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Original article here -> Scalextric Jaguar XJR6 - how quick could it go? Part 1

OK, I know it's been a while! :rolleyes: oh, and I do know it's a XJR9, not a XJR6...

Things got in the way, like the club I belong to being asked to vacate it's old premises in January 2020, which then closed up entirely for all of Covid 1.0, and eventually into Covid 2.0, meaning that we knew we had to move, but couldn't pack up and leave either... All sorted now with a new venue and new club name (but same club members).

Anyway... the original plan was to have a number of cars, all with minor tweaks, and to see what worked, and what didn't, with the intention of having a single car with all the good things on it as the last car in the improvements line. But this then would leave me with basically a number of cars that all had some nice upgrades, but wouldn't be as fast as the final car, so really good money on intentionally bad results.

So the cars left are as follows
  • Standard XJR9 with brown bar magnet, no weight, just cleaned, oiled and new braids
  • Standard XJR9 without the magnet, some nice grippy tyres with the same profile as the OEM rubber, oiled and weighted
  • XJR9 with standard, unmodified body shell, but the following upgrades (front to rear)
    • NSR guide flag
    • Slot.it motor (orange can) with 9t pinion
    • Weight
    • Slot.It contrate gear (orange 25) and axle (and may swap to blue 26)
    • 0132 offset (0.5mm) bearings
    • PCS Hubs
    • Slot.it tyres
I'll add to this article over the next few days, as I need to let one of my club mates race the cars for timing purposes. His ability to squeeze speed out of the slotcars is superior to mine, so the plan is to run a Slot.It Porsche 962 on the lane, set a benchmark time, and then let him compare the 3 variants of XJR.

So photos and timings coming soon...

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
'Control' Slot.it - the one we want to time against was the Porsche 962 'green lane' club car. The club has run this for 10 years or more, and apart from new rear tyres in that time, hasn't done much to what was a white kit version.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

Camera lens Camera accessory Camera Cameras & optics Digital camera

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The XJR9 Scalextric with the modifications which as Nick said, near enough made it a Slot.It, but for a heavy weight body and underpan...
Tire Vehicle Wheel Car Hood

Musical instrument accessory Bumper Audio equipment Automotive exterior Gas

NSR guide, silicon wires to the Slot.It motor, Slot.It contrate, axle and tyres, on PSR hubs. Offset wheel bearings from 0132 racing - all the bits bought from Pendle.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Timings as raced by Nick Garton.

Slot.it Porsche 962 - 9.63
Control XJR - 10.39
XJR with all the upgrades - 9.39

I suspect that the Slot.It could with some TLC could reduce that gap, or even regain the lead, but it's proven to be an interesting experiment in tuning an oldish Scalextric cheap buy off eBay.

Next experiment - how much can I improve one of the old F1s? I shall keep you all updated!

·
re member
4,296 Posts
Offset bearings but not an offset contrate gear?
No bracing of rear axle/motor?
How is the motor fixed in place ?
No front axle tube?

we had an event where these jags were built up using various enhancements and some were fast, as fast as as a standard Slotit car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts