SlotForum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Background: When I joined the Farnham club, it ran a class 'Hornby Group C', a 'box standard' class with no modifications - over the years the class changed and updated, and morphed into 'Slot.it Group C' which is the only class where 'anything goes' for OEM parts. This has been forced on the club as cars like the Porsche 962 have come out with different motors and tyres over the years, and some cars are now in-line or angle winders. To allow a level playing field, the club has therefore allowed people to upgrade their cars to bring them into line with later releases.

Which got me thinking - if I were to modify a Hornby Group C, and bring it up to date with parts, just how quick could I make the car?

In part 1 of this blog about the Hornby Group C, I will concentrate on the initial problems I have encountered with the task!

I quickly settled on the Hornby Jaguar XJR6 as the car, and set about getting a number to modify. I bought only cars with wires going to the guide flags, avoiding all with the quick change guide flag, as this would help me in my quest. Ha! Not a chance. In the 7 cars I bought, I have 4 different chassis - which I've broken down into 2 different marks, with sub-marks. The quick change guide version I'll call Mark 3. Note - all these 'mark' values are my own!

Why so many cars? The idea is to have one car as the 'base line' example, then have 6 degrees of modifications done to the car, to improve speed and handling. Then all 7 cars can be run in one evening to be experienced by my fellow club members as a grand experiment in tinkering!

Mark 1 Chassis - no reinforcement present.

Top view for the Mark 1 chassis, both 'A' and 'B' revision. Points to note - no reinforcement round the motor mount.

gallery_1347_476_346855.jpg

Underside of the Mark 1 'A' Revision

gallery_1347_476_338442.jpg

Underside of the Mark 1 'B' Revision

gallery_1347_476_289805.jpg

The Mark 1 chassis is easy to strip and clean, as the motor will pop out of the mount easily.

Mark 2 Chassis - reinforcement added

Top view of the Mark 2 'A' Revision chassis

gallery_1347_476_34803.jpg

Underside of the Mark 2 'A' Revision chassis

gallery_1347_476_77755.jpg

Top view of the Mark 2 'B' Revision chassis

gallery_1347_476_133899.jpg

Underside of the Mark 2 'B' Revision chassis

gallery_1347_476_23860.jpg

Stripping the motor from the Mark 2 'B' chassis wasn't too easy, as I didn't want to break anything.

Its not a big deal exactly which chassis to use at present in the project - they are all pretty flat, so shouldn't make a big difference.

In the next installment - the baseline car is rebuilt, to 'out of the box' standards,

1 - 1 of 1 Posts