SlotForum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my first Scalextric 1/32 kit at the weekend, the Porsche 911 GT3R.
Pesuaded with a 'take this you WILL love it' offer, I am going to try a Plafit Chassis with it...

On first test, the chassis is a 'perfect' fit so I am eager to get this onto my 'to do' list ASAP.

The kit contains the following...

However mine has the rear spoiler missing from the sealed bag so I will have to get onto Hornby for a replacement.

The box lid is a little missleading as it shows the etched parts used on the Slotcars in the picture so a little dissappointed to find them replaced with plastic in the kit.

All is not lost though as I am sure the corresponding service sheet will solve that issue. Worth bearing in mind also is the fact that the clear glass lenses that come with the kit will suffice to replace those lost on the slot car. A great source of parts this kit, as the clear parts are not offered in the service sheets.

Now - ALL Scaley have to do is release an MG Lola in kit form and I can get my missing lenses back for those!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Weirdly I have yet to see one of these kits. Sorry to hear that you have a part missing Swiss.

Don't you think its bit unfair to say that the parts in the box don't match those shown as etched parts on the box cover. Surely its an artists sketch on the box of a painted car. And you might find kids cutting themselves on the sharp etched metal pieces if they were included so I can understand why they would not be.

Just curious though but do you get any transfers?

These alone would be worth £3 making the kit exceptional value, which they are already anyway. How much is the Playfit chassis?

And are the kit tyres suitable slot car fodder?

And I also understood that paint and a brush might also be included for an extra £1. Did you have that option?

Moped

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fair point on the etched stuff moped, though I stand by the 'photo' (not artists sketch?) being misleading a little. I understand it makes the kit look more attractive of course.

Yes, decals (good ones) match the livery on the box well enough.

No, no paints or brush but to be honest that's a crock anyway because the brush and paint quality usually offered in that type of deal make the model look terrible and are useless to work with.

Paint and brush for a quid?
most of my brushes cost more than the kit on their own and as for paints.....

Don't get me wrong I am over the moon Scaley have done this, even if it isn't a Slot format it is not hard to change and gives us the reason/ ability to try some decent chassis without the combined cost going through the roof. PLUS ! who cares if they trash a £6 body, I would rather do that than put a racing chassis on a Fly car and trash it.

·
Premium Member
5,675 Posts
QUOTE Sorry to hear that you have a part missing Swiss.

I would have thought that the legals at Margate would have done their homework but the lack of the grill piece and decals seems a big oversight. The omission of the latter makes me wonder why they've bothered at all. Surely if UK Johnnie's folks buy this for him they will expect him to be able to build it as illustrated. When he can't, they may think twice before buying another in the range.

Thinking a tad more about it, who are these kits aimed at? I thought it was posted elsewhere that the plastic is more brittle and less suited to the rough and tumble of slot use. But if they ain't including decals, then it ain't really a kit for the kids either.

Is there more information that I'm not aware of regarding this series or are they a bit of a con?

·
Premium Member
5,675 Posts
Ah! Now, do you see what happens when two folk are tapping away at their keyboards at the same time.

So you do get your decals. Fine and dandy. UK Johnnie's parents can breathe easy and the kit bashers out there can have a field day too.

Still wish Airfix would re-introduce their Masarati Indy!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hi,
A couple of weeks ago I had purchased one of these Hornby kits at a local hobby store (Hobbytown USA) for around $9.95 USD. Think it's the blue Subaru. I also was a little disapointed that it didn't come with the etched metal parts. The decal for the front grille is a little disapointing... But the rest of the model looks great, and the price is right. This is my first Hornby kit (I'm usually a Revell/Monogram/Accurate Miniatures fan), so it will be interesting to see how this all assembles.

I'm hoping to try the Subaru on one of my 1/32 chassis. Was thinking actually of writing up a little modeling report on my website, walking through the whole paint, decal, and mounting process with pictures. We'll see how it goes.

Tim Johnson
Www.SlotCarHeroes.Com
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I would be inclined to agree that if it is indeed a photograph on the box and it shows a grill, then a grill should really be included in the kit. But there again I do understand the safety issues. Is there not a plastic one included that could be painted?

Still, with decals included it is very hard to say the kit is anything but excellent value. My local stockist must have them on the shelf somewhere. It looks like a neat stocking filler for Xmas.

Cheers
Moped

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi All,

Picked up the Mustang recently. Good news is, all the parts fit straight on the RTR.
Bad news is, everything is white. I've already used the windscreen, air intake on the door, one of the exhasts and the front spoiler to replace the ones I lost/broke on my RTR. The body fits perfectly as do the tyres, which seem fine for racing on.
Re-livery's here I come

Thanks Hornby, keep em' coming.

Regards
NimROD

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hi Moped,
Unfortunately, the grille (on the Subaru) is molded into the chassis pan
, not a separate part. So something separately for the grille would have to be used when fitting the body to a slot car chassis.

Hey! I wanted the Mustang!
My hobby store didn't have it in stock. Though I suppose it's easy enough to order. My only trouble is I'm about an hours drive from the store... so unless it's something urgent, it's a bit o a drag to keep track of something via long distance.

And yeah... I also thought that maybe the body would have been molded in color (as the picture on the box was so finely detailed), but again let's not forget the price... they are inexpensive, and painting/detailing them isn't that much of a chore-- plus that's what modeling is all about. If it were all done for you... what would be the point?

Talk with you later!

Tim Johnson
Www.SlotCarHeroes.Com
[email protected]

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
I just want to give a big one of these -
to Donna at Scalextric Customer Support in the UK.
This the third time that I have had to contact Scalextric Customer Support in a year and a half, the previous two times were for a replacement front light set and a replacement 'sport' motor. Each time the response has been fast and satisfactory.
This time was, as stated above, a missing rear wing.
I sent the Email last night at around 9pm my time and got this from them this morning..

QUOTE Dear Mr Wakefield

Thank you for your recent communication. I have sent you a replacement rear
wing for your K2004A Porsche kit through the post in order to resolve the
matter for you.

Yours sincerely
Donna
Customer Care

You have to hand it to them...they have Customer Support sorted, I could not ask for better service than that. I hope they look after that Lady well

THANK YOU!

And indeed - two days later it arrives! Excellent timing from the UK there and to top it off it is a prepainted one from the Slot Car of the same livery.

and Donna? if you read this, have a HUGE HUG from me.....

whether you want it or not

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.