SlotForum banner

Scalextric Lister Storm LMP 900

4K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  GenXRacer 
#1 ·
This car is now available in the UK.

Click here for the review.

#5 ·
nice review

just a reflection - what do you think about the idea that the chassi is divided - e.g. the 'pod' with the rear wheels is not in one piece with the part that holds the guide and front wheels? Seems to be asking for troube - or? What I mean is that those cars that I have where the chassi part with the rear wheels is separated from the rest tend to easily become misaligned after some use - that is if they ever could be aligned reliably... To me at least it seems as plausible that the more parts a chassi is divided into the more it could become unreliable / unstraight etc. What do you think - or what is your experience with these kind of things? Engineering nightmare or engineering elegance?

//peter

#6 ·
Just to pick up on the points raised.

There are 10000 models to be made in total.

The Sport Edition is out now and the Standard Edition is due out in the second quarter. The difference between the Sport and Standard, apart from the box, are the axels and rear axel bushings. It is possible to upgrade to the Sport Edition by adding the ground axels and rear metal bushings.

The pod is quite a cool feature. It is very solid and won't wear out with wear. It is recessed into the chassis and it's movement can be controlled by the single rear screw mounted just behind the rear axel. The pod concept would be useful in long endurance races allowing you - if the rules permit - to change motor/axel/gears/wheels in one go. I doubt that any home racer would have an interest in keeping multiple configurations for quick changing though.

To get the pod out, the rear wheels are pinched quite a bit and this would mess up any wheel that was trued and glued to the rim.

#10 ·
Hi Everyone,
I've had this car for about a month now (I'm on the other side of the pond, where we got it first, I guess) and I really enjoy it.

It is very smooth and enjoyable to drive. Certainly one of the longest cars I have. You have to watch the tail though, it can come around fairly quickly, if you're not careful. I do some night racing and that is where it really shines. The lights are very well done, particularly the rears, which are very bright.

With all the laps I've put on it, nothing rattles or has broken.

Definitely would recommend it. Looking forward to other deliveries.

Regards,
Wayne

#11 ·
Great review - the car's still a maybe for me. Will need to se it in a shop before I buy!

I liked your lap time comparisson. This is something that i like to see, so I can get a real idea of the speed of a car. It would be great if there was a section where records could be kept by car of lap times on a standard track layout that readers could submit.

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
QUOTE (phipster @ 21 Apr 2004, 22:25)... It would be great if there was a section where records could be kept by car of lap times on a standard track layout that readers could submit.
Yep this is a good idea. I suggest a 75 ft 4-lane little thing.

Just kidding. I think that we will do this sometime soon. We are planning on a test track for the forum (upcoming project) and there is no reason to make it too complicated. We'll have a 'Top Gear' table of cars online then too.

#13 ·
After about 300 laps of the track, half a can of WD-40 and a couple of smashes, I've managed to bring the time down to a very respectable 5.00 (from 5.32) seconds.

One of my fellow racer's put a controller onto the track while he went off to find his crashed car and the Lister unfortunately clipped the thing with it's front left corner. The horizontal little fin and the upper light cover on the front just flew off never to be found.

I've had to re-grease the drive gears as the white stuff that was supplied on the model 'evaporated'. I'm using a synthetic lithium grease out of a spray can that 'gels' with air contact. Anybody have an opinion on that?

#15 ·
I got mine yesterday!

It looks like Scalextric have reverted back to nylon axle bushes and pinion gear for this model, even though it's the Sport version, which seems like unnecessary penny pinching.

The pod is an interesting feature. I wonder if it will become a regulear fitment on future cars, like the slot it motor mounts?

Rob

#16 ·
" It looks like Scalextric have reverted back to nylon axle bushes and pinion gear for this model, even though it's the Sport version, which seems like unnecessary penny pinching."

While the pinion is plastic. The bushings are indeed brass. They've just been blackened. Give them a tap with a metal object and you'll see.

If anyone does not care for the yellow front lamps. It's quite easy to fit a pair of super bright white LEDs into the upper lamp housing. You can even use the Scaley circuit board.

#18 ·
Hi guys,

Just got mine yesterday. Although it looks stunning, I have found two problems: Firstly, the front wheels are far too high in the chassis, so the front tyres are not in contact with the track at all; Secondly, the new fancy "Pod" design has only one screw right in the middle of the chassis, with the motor's position being slightly offset to the right, the wiring is forcing the "pod" to tilt, in turn tilting the body to the left.

Is this just my car? Or is it something I've not done?

#19 ·
I wasn't trying to be unduly negative, but my only previous Sport cars were F1's, and they had brass pinions and axle bearings. I didn't think of painted bearings - d'oh!!

The wiring is a tight fit, but with some gentle manipulation everything can fit properly. Try moving the wiring close to the motor?

Rob

#20 ·
My friend got his one yesterday and we found the back sliding out a fair bit but nevertheless a very nice good car.
Anyway,I suggested swapping the magnet for the one that comes in the MG lola and the Lister now absolutely flies!!!!
We were taking curves at full throttle that before we couldnt get close to those speeds even with the Lola.
The only thing we could find quicker was my Jordan F1 car with the same magnet in it.

#21 ·
Have just bought one from a collector in Australia. He had run the motor in carefully, lightly trued the tyres and stored it for a few years. Picked it up for $41 Aust. off Ebay.com.au and I raced it for the first time tonight.
It went great straight out of the box and I am very impressed with my purchase.
Very impressive car with great finish.
Bruce from Wagga Wagga Australia

#23 · (Edited by Moderator)
I was given one when it first came out...

The chassis was warped, the motor smoked and then gave up.

It handled like ****

...and the front light lenses popped out.

...and the tyres kept coming off the rims!

Replaced motor with an 25K scalex.... still one of the slowest, ill handling cars I've got. (I remove magnets BTW)

Oh - but the tampo printing is brill.

It reminded me why I never usually bother with Hornby stuff.

Perhaps I was unlucky

ABBO

#24 ·
Still have this car to this day... glued in the lenses. I still refer to it as my first "rocking chair" car. I could drive it with my eyes half closed and relax the whole race. First car I used for a LeMans style race with day, night and twilight racing and I won the race. Guess I was just "lucky".

GenXRacer

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.