SlotForum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I recently got a Scalextric loop the loop set up and I cannot get any cars to actually go round it! I have tried a few different cars - Should I be looking at some of the 80s "nose in the air" type cars to utilise it. Looks great fun but I cant get it to work.

Cheers,

Alan

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
I would think that you will need some very short wheel base car ...... an old Metro might be a good one.

Do you remember the old Banked curves?? - what a nightmare those were.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

Ive got some of the old bank curves on a layout at home.. Great fun until something projects itself into the wall!

So far ive tried a couple of newer cars (DPR Aston & Nissan).. no chance (they will do the banked curves though - quickly too) and a couple of older F1 cars (just smack the front up at 10 degree lift!) I think I will have to resurrect some old xr3is Ive got.. they look like they might do it.. Failing that good old ebay usually has some old metros reasonably cheaply.

Ive wanted one for years - I get one and cant use it!

Alan

·
Premium Member
8,227 Posts
Aye, those old curves were a truly disgusting piece of kit Greg. Made all the worse because Scaley started to raise the front axles on some cars to accomodate the banking.
Cheers.
Kev

A car with a higher front would be best Alan.

·
Premium Member
8,227 Posts
Jouef also made a looping set way back in 1970 DJ.
Only two cars were available. A Lotus F1 & Matra F1.
They stuck stupid big rear tyres on the cars stamped the chassis with "LOOPING" & then charged you double for the privilege.
Wonderful! Was delisted from the range within a year!
Cheers,
Kev

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ill have to get some photos up. Id heard about them and there's an old post on here (from 2006 I think) that confirms their existence. Its a pointless joy to behold once setup!

The xr3s have a high front and just need some minor work so I'm hoping they will work. In use they have their front wheels off the ground so hopefully they´ll be okay.

It has "speed loop" all on the outside and its a bit fiddly to set up.. I think Im just scared of damaging it while setting it up.

Alan

·
Premium Member
8,227 Posts
It is quite a rare piece of kit now Alan so do be careful with it.
It`s worth having just for the nice printing on it.
I think the best looping systems were made by Aurora & other HO scale manufacturers.
Those little cars would fly round loops.
cheers,
Kev.

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
Cheesus ............ that must have been one hell of a magnet under that car

1 - 12 of 12 Posts