Romain Grosjean No.10
Reference No: C3262

Type: Single car, crystal case
Class: Single Seater
Availability: 2012

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have been waiting patiently for a Scalextric model of the Lotus-Renault, but this result is hugely disappointing.

They claim this is a 2012 Lotus? Where is the stepped nose... the single most identifiable feature of the car? I understand all the usual lame excuses offered when Scalex simply repaints last years car with this years livery, but there is no "last years Scalex model" in the case of the Lotus. This is the first of the line for Scalextric and this marque so why didn't they get it right, for 2012 at least? And if production lead times were a problem, leading them to use the 2011 Lotus as the prototype, I would have preferred to wait a few months and get a more accurate car for my collection.

Old23

·
Damien Straw
562 Posts
I agree, real disappointment. I can't buy these or any others knowing they are so far off. Shame. There are some things you can turn a blind eye to and yes I understand it's a cost issue of making new molds but they are too far wrong to my eye for me to own them.

Cheers,
Damo.

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
I really like Scalextric as a manufacturer and I will be buying (already pre-ordered
) the Senna 2011 limited edition car. I will not however be buying the above cars for exactly the reasons stated in the previous e-mails.

Ah well, at least with the Senns Lotus-Renault, the Carrera Red Bull and Ferrari there will be a few 2011 cars on my grid!!!

All the best,

Philip

·
Registered
641 Posts
Wrong shape nose or not, still a good looker and in classic black and gold. If ciggie ads were still allowed you know this would be a JPS Lotus. Ltd ed too expensive for my pocket and as there is no F1 class at GBSC I wont be buying the "wrong" shape one. But, if F1 were to raise it's ugly head again, I'd get a Red Bull from Carrera. Past experience tells me the Carrera will last longer than one nights racing.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
QUOTE (Old23 @ 2 Sep 2012, 01:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>They claim this is a 2012 Lotus?

They are very careful not to claim that.

For me the only surprise is that people are still suprised when Hornby do stuff like this.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I am not a scalex man in most things but i quite like their F1's and i had thought of getting a Kimi Lotus Renault but to issue a new car in the 2012 livery, i and many would expect a current 2012 car, this looks a bit like pre production with the lack of helmet detail, i think i'll wait for something better to come along Keith.

·
Registered
346 Posts
What strikes me with every single scalextric releas is the lack of attention to detail...the helmets look oversized poorly implemented no colour ...too high in the cockpit the wheel and tyre look wrong....the obvious stepped nose isnt there, for gods sake I m a conceptual artist and these are the most blatant mistakes i have seen...the scx cars look twice as good with a more realistic proportion and tampo print...its time scalextric had a major rethink about there cars and product...every single car they make nowadays looks wrong.....rant finished...sits back and sighs....

·
Registered
468 Posts
I think we all saw this coming so shouldn't be a surprise. This has been a consistent practice of theirs for years, trying to get as much out of the molds as possible. We all continue to voice our opinions here either in understanding or in frustration. They in turn will make whatever decisions they deem necessary to try to stay afloat and make a profit. I, for one, am glad I have this to complain about because if this weren't the 21st century and my participation in slotting had to rely on what I could buy within the radius of a tank of gas in the car, I'd be screwed. And it would be unlikely our favorite companies would even be around.

Regards,

-- Rakete --

·
Registered
641 Posts
The reasoning behind why some models end up looking the way they do has been answered buy Adrian Norman elsewhere on this forum. Perhaps someone who knows where that post is could link it up here so we can all remind ourselves why we buy anything but scalextric. Also the use and overuse of molds has been addressed here too. It's not always Hornbys fault.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hi
Thanks for your feedback.
Here is a copy of a recent post explaining the "livery vs. body" questions posed above.
As I have written below, it is not ideal, it is a balancing act that all slot-car producers make. In many cases, many of us will not even notice obvious errors and just become 'blind' to incorrect details. However, there are cars, particularly GP cars, that will be very obviously incorrect to most of us and the recent 'broken nose' GP car shape has caught out all slot car manufacturers who are part way through a licensing period with their current GP tooling which has the 'smooth' nose body shape. It's not unusual but, and I empathise with all GP fans, it is a temporary glitch until any manufacturer with 'old' tooling reaches the point in the licensing requirements to update to the latest GP body shapes. At least Scalextric Hornby have been able to release this particular livery (Lotus-Renault black and gold livery) once correctly (the Senna car - correct body with correct livery) followed by two 2012 liveries for this year.
By the way, the inforamtion sent to SF does specifically contain the caveat that the car is a 2012 livery on a 2011 livery.

Here the previous quote:

"Believe me, licence owners are very, very particular as to how their image is portrayed. The higher the profile of the licence owner, the more stringent the requirements upon us. They instruct us quite specifically on the extact description to appear on the product, as all high profile licence owners do. We do not get to choose how we would like to describe ANY of our high-profile (F1 teams, GT teams, etc) products. Life would be Oh so simple if we could!
For modern F1 cars, it is the case that we do not get the choice of what livery we put on to the car, irrespective of the car year/shape. This is completely controlled by the licence owner in their efforts to control their brand image and sponsor requirements. Tis is true just as much for a car that is 3 years old as a car from this current year.
Let me assure you all, we work hard with all licence owners to ensure we represent their car model likeness as they require. If the licence owner wants the car in a particluar colour shade (contrary to the real car colour), with or without certain sponsor names/logos, with or without particular bodywork details, released before or after a certain date, in certain packaging with appropriate graphics, only sold in specific markets, etc, etc, - this list is endless. We have to comply to all of this. We do so as a pleasure, as well as for business, to bring our valued Scalextric enthusiasts the products they have asked for.
Historically, the same has always applied right back to the earliest cars when sponsoship became so important to their brand image. You can thank Colin Chapman biggrin.gif . Take a look at any Scalextric F1 car and I suspect that you will very rarely find an exact replica.You only have to go back to the 90's and look at the Benetton and Ferrari car s produced then to see that details and liveries are not as accurate as today's offering are. We strive to improve.

The good thing is the enthusiast Scalextric F1, and other race series, fans out there (this is you guys) are interested enough to investigate our models and compare with the real car. Model cars will never be the same as the real car, It is impossible. Despite this, we try to achieve a close a model as possible to the original car whislt at the same time making it viable whilst complying with the licence owners requirements.
There are no secrets here, this is what all toy and model making companies have to do.

As always, I'm happy to try and throw some light on your questions and perceptions of the Scalextric world.
If you are going to the NSCC Hornby Scalextric Weekend, I will be glad to explain at length as part of the Q&A sessions we hold."

Happy Collecting & Racing
Adrian

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Exactly the balanced and comprehensive reply I expected from Mr N, and even predicted elsewhere.

I think it should be acknowledged that some people don't get the realities, but further that some on here very much do but enjoy battering Scalextric anyway.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I presume this is why the new Scalextric Ford Fiesta WRC doesn't appear to have any wing mirrors, because Ford said it shouldn't!

I would add I'm not complaining though, I kind of like the idea of not breaking wing mirrors the first time I run it.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Zetec don't you think Scalextric could put these sort of items like wing mirrors e.t.c loose in a packet under the base of the box they do it with spare pick up's they could just be clip in clip out as we wanted Keith.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Mr. Norman - one request on the production version of the car. Black wires please instead of blue and red, they'll blend in better.

Regards,

-- Rakete --

1 - 20 of 24 Posts