SlotForum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there I just bought one of those scalextric static gt40 kits. I am a huge fan of the gt40 and have all the scalextric examples bar the rare german version. My question is do I try and recreate another gt40 that scalextric haven't made or just make the one pictured. Has any one made any good liveries that they can show me. Also were would be the best place to get some decals. Thanks It66

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I do not know how much time and effort you want to put in to convert the Scalextric Gulf GT40 to another version? Firstly let me say I am not trying to put you off! Since the Scalextrics is inaccurate anyway. The nearest version to convert too would be a late Paul Hawkins car since the rear deck would have too be modified to fit wider wheels and tires. The sides of the deck would come down square. Also there would be a bulge on the lid for the spare wheel. The colour would be Red. A lot of work would be needed. I think a more unusual colour scheme would be that of chassis P1080 in John Allens super profile book page 55. In its penultimate race at Vila do Conde in 1979 it looks as though it was in white with a band of two shades of blue and one of black applied going along the sides and accross the front and rear body work. The shade of Blue is also applied to the six spoke BRM wheels. Although you will have to replace the Scalextric version with the Flys to get a better and more accurate wheels. Since at the moment I cannot post pictures. If anyone could post a picture as described you would be able to judge for yourself. The only other car that might be OK with the kit is the number 11 Gulf Lemans car P1076 Brian Muir/ Jacky Oliver at the 1968 race. One, it was the only Gulf car to run with a spoiler. Two, it had a normal door handle (the two others had quick release handle). Three, the Marigold stripe down its centre was widened on the front lid coming down to a point at the front with a Cibie sticker over it. The only thing that needs changing is the rear deck vent which is not the 9 hole one on the Scalextric but a 'normal' version. This car lasted for one hour Muir ramming it into the sand bank. See if you can go onto the Lemans Miniatures website (lemansminiatures.com) they made a 1/24 version some time ago. Good luck!
Regards Allan

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I have just found another version of P1080 when it raced in Angola. Go to GT40s.com and look for the thread in the Historic section. This must be the most unusually GT40 since as well as carnards it sports two tail fins similar to the Porsche 917K.
Regards Allan

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Yes, thanks Richard,
But the GT40s.com website has two moe pictures of the car with the canards and tail wings.
Regards Allan

·
Registered
420 Posts
im thinkin about gettin a gt40 but i konw there are a lot of different colors out there. What color do you think is the best? and what do you think is the better buy the fly or the scaley?

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
It depends what you mean by better buy? In cost the normal scalextric wins hands down from the Fly although I have seen certain Fly GT40 for £25 or less. Both manufacturers have produce compromised models for tooling, racing and cost. Both cars are not accurate in the overall shape. At present the only solution would be to buy the Gulf GT40 Scalextric kit and modify it.
If your not that bothered with accuracy then my own favorite would be the Ken Miles/Denny Hume (Light Blue with red ddayglowpatches and white central stripes) GT40 MKII number 1 which could and should have won the 1966 Lemans 24hrs race. But was stopped by politics of the day. That the victory would not be remembered as Ford's but would be overshadowed by Ken Miles being the first man to win Sebring Daytona and Lemans in the same year!
As for Scalextric and Fly. Fly's wheels are superior on their MKI GT40.
Go for what you like!
Sorry I cannot be more specific.
Regards Allan

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
It depends what you mean by better buy? In cost the normal scalextric wins hands down from the Fly although I have seen certain Fly GT40 for £25 or less. Both manufacturers have produce compromised models for tooling, racing and cost. Both cars are not accurate in the overall shape. At present the only solution would be to buy the Gulf GT40 Scalextric kit and modify it.
If your not that bothered with accuracy then my own favorite would be the Ken Miles/Denny Hume (Light Blue with Red dayglow patches and White central stripes) GT40 MKII number 1 which could and should have won the 1966 Lemans 24hrs race. But was stopped by politics of the day. That the victory would not be remembered as Ford's but would be overshadowed by Ken Miles being the first man to win Sebring Daytona and Lemans in the same year! The Fly's more expensive and as well having no bulges on the front nose; it's rear snorkel will need painting to match the body colour the overal shape is too flat and the rear wheel arches are too high up. The same applies for the Scalextrics for the front and the rear deck ihas the wrong proportions for the MKII. Also it has webers showing in the rear window instead of the holley which the 427 (7 litre) engines in the MKII should have. In all the MKII comes out sightly better in the Fly version than the Scalextrics. And the other way round on the MKI. Fly's wheels are superior on both their MKI GT40 and MKII's; but then they should be they cost more!!
Go for what you like!
Sorry I cannot be more specific.
Regards Allan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts