Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have several Indy cars, and several muscle cars; been trying to find out what the normal RPM motor that Scalextric is using in these models. I suspect it is the 19K motor, but not sure. Anyone know where good tech spec's for S-USA's cars can be had?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
>18k mate

Thanks. Could not find any info on their website.

Thinking about a mod. I was shopping in a Radio Shack (Shaft) today, and they have a line of R/C cars (XMods). Found some 26K and 30K motors (Catalog #: 60-8502), that are slightly longer than the S-USA ones in my cars. Am thinking about mod'ing the frame on one of my cars, to see if I can wedge that larger RPM motor into it, just for an experement...

Looks like I will have to enlarge the end plate hole a bit, and move that brace forward about 3/8 of an inch to fit it in, but, from the looks of it, it should work, if I am able to get a clean cut on the brace.

Thanks, again!

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
have you tried different motors already, other than these ones?

As an experiment it sounds fun, but if you just want your car to go better, it might be an idea to try some of the motors sold as upgrade motors first. Slot it, Mrrc scale auto falcon and a few others make some which are the right size, and better than the stock motor.

For your experiment - note that RPM is not the only factor; torque, current consumption, how hot it gets and how that affects performance will also play a role in how it behaves in a slot car.

hope this helps

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
>have you tried different motors already, other than these ones?

Not yet. Just ran across these motors and thought I would experement with them. At first look, I thought they might be the exact sixe. However, upon closer inspection, they will require some mod to the frame for them to fit. Just seeing how it goes. Will report back in here, and let you guys know if it works.

>As an experiment it sounds fun, but if you just want your car to go better, it might be an idea to try some of the motors sold as upgrade motors first. Slot it, Mrrc scale auto falcon and a few others make some which are the right size, and better than the stock motor.

I am going to try this as well. I bought the upgrade parts for the Corvette (as shown in Hobbytown's mag for this quarter, and I am going to apply this to this car. It has never ran well, for me, at any time. My best running car has been the S-USA Yellow Boss Mustang unit that I have.

>For your experiment - note that RPM is not the only factor; torque, current consumption, how hot it gets and how that affects performance will also play a role in how it behaves in a slot car.

I used to run the old metal frame 1/24 slot cars years ago (ages, it seems) and what I have found that seems to effect me the most, is somewhat poor frame construction on the S-USA cars. The plastic axle and front end parts are not holding up well, at all (poor driving on my part) [It would be nice if the S-USA frames were a bit sturdier in their construction]. In a while I will be asking about aluminum/metal frames that might fit the S-USA Indy cars. I know that there will be a weight and heat differential, but it seems that it might balance out, with maintaince and breakdown problems that all of us are experencing in the group that I race with.

I am going to canabalize one of my (somewhat) torn up Indy cars and see if I can make a mod on it to hold the larger motir. Not sure if moving the mount forward, will have enough strength, after applying glue. Will probably have to bottom/cross brace it, and that will add weight. Just fooling around, to see what I can make work. If it wrecks the frame, it will not be a big loss.

>hope this helps

Thanks. Appreciated.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Before you spend the money, you might want to check the voltage those motors run at. I believe it's 6v?!? That would make them turn a few more rpm with the scaley power pack!

·
Gary Skipp
6,476 Posts
My RC ran at 9V.

Good point pete, the higher voltage may make those motors burn out very quickly.

My advice would be to either get a SvaleAuto (28 and 35k) or Slot.it 26k motor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts