Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so Schumi blew it. But that doesn't take pole position for tomorrow's San Moreno GP -- just 35 minutes down the road from Maranello -- away from Jenson Button. He was brilliant!

Now you HAVE to make the 2004 version of this, please Scalextric!

And a new competition......

Who, what, when, where:-

Kind regards

Russell

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
If there were a choice between an updated Renault and any BAR, I know which I would prefer!
How do the rest of you feel on that?

·
Gary Skipp
6,476 Posts
To be honest I think the BAR livery is boring, and I'd chose the Renault if I had to split.

If not, I'd buy the BAR anyway, definately over a Williams or McLaren.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
QUOTE I'd chose the Renault if I had to split
But there already IS a Renault - surely rather have a BAR than repeat the existing Renault with some minor alterations?

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Correct, lotus03. As the driver's name on the side of the car clearly shows, it's Jacques Villeneuve driving the Lucky Strike Racing Lotus 72D (actually, not the original Charlton car, but that's another story). The picture was taken at a Lucky Strike Heritage function, held at Valencia in 2002.

Some trivia about Lucky Strike's involvement in Formula One and about Charlton's Lotus 72D, which is of course modelled by VMG (with totally inaccurate tampo printing!).

Tobacco sponsorship was first introduced into Formula One in 1968, by the Rhodesian (Zimbabwean) Gunston Cigarette Company, when they sponsored Rhodesian driver John Love's Brabham BT20-Repco in the 1968 South African Grand Prix.

Gunston's sponsorship included Love's participation in the South African national championship series, for which he obtained a Lotus 49 for the 1969 season.

Dave Charlton, one of Love's closest competitors, approached the giant United Tobacco Company of South Africa for sponsorship in early 1969. This appealed to them immensely, as United Tobacco's Lucky Strike brand was a rival to Gunston.

Lucky Strike sponsorship enabled Charlton to also purchase a Lotus 49, and South African enthusiasts enjoyed watching epic dices between the Lotus 49's throughout 1969 and 1970, backed by their respective tobacco rivals, with the 1969 title going to Love and with Charlton taking the 1970 title.

For the 1971 SAGP, Lucky Strike sponsored Charlton to drive a works Brabham BT33-Cosworth, as team mate to Graham Hill.

Despite out qualifying Hill (19th), Charlton (12th) was unable to raise the sponsorship for a the full world championship, but he persuaded Lucky Strike to pay for a Lotus 72 for the rest of the 1971 season.

Before taking the car to SA, Charlton entered the 1971 Dutch and British Grands Prix, as a Gold Leaf Team Lotus entry. The car was then shipped to South Africa, painted in Lucky Strike livery, and Charlton won his second national title.

Charlton kept the Lotus 72 for the 1972 season and went on to win his third SA national title. He also entered the car in the French, British and German world championship rounds, in Lucky Strike colours. The French Grand Prix was the first time that a Formula One car was raced in Lucky Strike colours outside South Africa.

In the British Grand Prix, Charlton was competitive against the likes of Niki Lauda, but retired with gearbox problems.

For 1972, Lucky Strike also sponsored another South African national series driver, Eddie Keizan, in a Surtees TS5A.

In the 1973 South African Grand Prix, driving the Lotus 72, Charlton was dicing closely with Clay Reggazoni (BRM) and Mike Hailwood (Surtees), when the three cars collided. Reggazoni lay unconscious in his burning car, and Hailwood and Charlton rescued him, dragging him out of the blazing wreck. Hailwood was awarded the George Medal for Bravery by Her Majesty the Queen. Charlton went on to win his fourth SA title.

Eddie Keizan obtained the ex-Jackie Stewart Tyrrell 004 for the 1973 SA season, also sponsored by Lucky Strike.

In 1973, Lucky Strike also sponsored a March 721 for Meyer Botha in the SA series.

For the 1974 season, Keizan's Tyrrell was painted in UTC's Embassy cigarette brand colours, while they bought a McLaren M23 for Charlton to run in Lucky Strike colours, the same year in which Fittipaldi won the World Championship with the works M23. Charlton won his fifth successive SA drivers' title.

The SA national championship series switched to Formula Atlantic cars for 1975, although Charlton did enter the 1975 SAGP with the M23. That was the last time Lucky Strike livery was seen in a Grand Prix until British American Racing burst onto the scene in 1999.

Through a series of mergers and amalgamations, UTC of South Africa eventually became British American Tobacco. BAT is the world's most international tobacco company, selling over 300 brands of cigarette in 180 countries, including Benson & Hedges, State Express 555, Lucky Strike and Kent. In 1998, BAT acquired rival Rothmans International.

Prior to entering motor sport, Philip Morris poached UTC's South African promotions manager, Mike Jacklin, to run their Marlboro sponsorship programme after they saw the success that he achieved for Lucky Strike.

Kind regards

Russell

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
PS: In the early 1970s, Lucky Strike also sponsored various sports cars that entered the Springbok Series, such as the Chevron made by GB Track, a Porsche 917 for David Piper and this March-BMW, now on display in the Marconi Automotive Museum in Tustin, CA.

Kind regards

Russell

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Excellent article Russell!
You should reformat it put it in as a Forum resource

·
Gary Skipp
6,476 Posts
QUOTE (Tropi @ 25 Apr 2004, 10:51)QUOTE I'd chose the Renault if I had to split
But there already IS a Renault - surely rather have a BAR than repeat the existing Renault with some minor alterations?
Sorry, I thought you were talking about chosing either the current renault or the bar, not for a new version of the renault or the bar to be produced.

My bad!

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Yay!!! BAR!!! Can Ninco make one? I like Ninco's better without magnets.

Come to think of it, why is the BAR the only current F1 car not being made by a manufacturer? Some have even been made twice, so why not the BAR? Licensing issues? Shed some light Adrian?

Lotus

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Great article by Russell, always engrossing and profusely illustrated to add colour and impact. I've seen similar articles from him, with other Gunston cars and they really do carry a strking livery.
They would make a perfect substitute for the Orange Arrows on today's grid.
Who outside of a few would even know what Gunston signified?
I wouldn't if not having been educated by Russell!
Anyone else regret the Orange demise from the F1 scene?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Clearly Scalextric should make a BAR instead of another Renault.
I already have a Renault and probably won't bother buying another one, but a nice looking BAR could easily find its way to my collection.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I totally agree, especially with the 2004 renaults looking virtually identical to the 2003 cars.

The 2 most desirable F1s are the ferrari and (definately in the UK) the BAR. Really wish they could sort out the licencing to do em

·
Registered
420 Posts
we can get the F1 Ferraris from Carrera so that leaves us without the BAR then... Which is unfortunate since it would be nice next to the Ferraris me thinks..

//peter

·
Slot City
331 Posts
I don't think anyone has mentioned the obvious yet....the tobacco advertising is going to be an obstacle. Plus everyone will complain if they do it in the UK race livery with just empty spaces.

Interestingly....I just had a look at the BAR F1 Website and I couldn't see any mention of 'Lucky Strike'. It looks like they have even touched up all the pictures to remove the logo as well.

Jon,
Slot City.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
I don't think the weed advertising is quite so much an obstacle as a bit of a nuisance, really.

The Renault has blanks and has sold well, regardless. It's certainly possible to get the correct decals for a BAR - one of our club guys had stuck them on something else -I forget what the donor car was, but it looked very well indeed, really stood out simply because it was different..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts