SlotForum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again!

I hope this is the right area for my question, mods please feel free to relocate it if so!

I think about 20 years ago Scalextric produced this 'Permalite' device, which would allow car lights to stay on even when the cars were stationary? I don't hold out much on tracking one down, so I was wondering if anyone might know the principle of its operation, or better, have a circuit diagram, so I might have a go at building something to do the same job?

Cheers,
Jim

·
Prof I T
Ting Tong
11,085 Posts
hi
going back this far would mean that the rails were only live when you applied throttle,so for lights to remain lit would of meant some form of capacitor would be needed to store a current until it was needed.???

I have not heard of permalite so will watch with interest to hear what the experts come up with.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it was analogue days of course, but this thing was somehow capable of fully supplying the car lights without turning the motors. I had a vague idea it might have been something to do with overlaying high frequency AC onto the track supply, but I can't be sure.

·
Premium Member
3,083 Posts
This unit has been discussed a few times on the forum - just type permalite into the search engine (top right) and you will find some answers to your query.

They are not particularly hard to acquire nor are they very expensive. They usually pop up on ePay at least once a month.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Hi,

While we are are the subject, please can anyone tell me if the permalite unit is suitable to be used with modern cars and if there are any manufacturers cars it shouldn't be used with?

I have a permalite set and would like to add it to my scalextric sport track.

Thanks

Matthew

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
I don't have one but I believe it just put a high frequency AC voltage on the rails. The old conventional bulbs would happily be lit by this. Modern LED ones will only work with half the AC wave so may be a bit dimmer. You should be OK to try it though if I am right about the operating principle.

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
No, forget that. I had forgotten that it was conceived in the days that the throttles were unbraked. With braked throttles the rails are effectively short circuited so the permalite unit would be at danger of destroying itself by putting AC directly to a short.

·
Rich Dumas
3,546 Posts
The easiest thing to do is to use LEDs and power them with a 3 volt lithium battery. White LEDs run on 3-3.5 volts, red LEDs run on 2 volts and would need a dropping resistor. There are light kits available that use a voltage regulator to keep the lights at a constant brightness and also have a storage capacitor to keep the lights on when the power goes off. If you have a digital track lights are easy to do because the rails are powered all of the time so all you need is the LEDs and dropping resistors.

·
Premium Member
3,083 Posts
QUOTE (Fred the Oyster @ 29 Sep 2011, 21:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'll certainly keep trying the auction site as I have been. I guess my timing must be out or I've just been unlucky!

Let ePay do the work for you. Search for it, save the search and sign up for emails when one is found. Simples!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts