SlotForum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Circuit Owner
5,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a "tired" old Porsche 935 (911 whale tail?) for £3 from a parts bin at the back of a stall at the Slot Car festival in Gaydon in May.

I bought it, forgot about it and found it this evening in the back of my cupboard.

It's a Scalextric C.125 but here's the thing - it has PORCHE moulded below the C.125 not PORSCHE.

I already have 3 C.125's so I immediately checked the other 3 and they all have PORSCHE moulded below the model number.

I'm curious - does anybody know if Scalextric made many of these before they noticed their error? My 3 C.125's all have lights and Mabuchi motors so they are obviously much later editions. The PORCHE has a Johnson motor (I think - it's longer than a modern Mabuchi anyway).

Have a I got one of a few that got away or is it one of many thousands?

The reason I ask is that I was about to strip the body and repaint it to race it - but if it's a bit of history I wondered if I should leave it as it is and display it on the shelf instead. Its livery is white with badly applied Martini slide transfers.

Any wisdom gratefully received!

·
*** Leo A Capaldi ***
3,588 Posts
Interesting...
I just checked my early one of these - it has the correct spelling. However, all three C125 that I have, have the name "PORSCHE" on a raised boss. To my mind that implies that the wording was replaced by having a "plug" inserted to the mould. On the "PORCHE" are the letters flush with the chassis surface ?

·
Jim Moyes
5,002 Posts
They are an oddity, but a well known one and not particularly rare.

And it was only on Johnson-motored chassis that it happened.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
If they only produced 10000 of them before discovering the mistake Id sell it on ebay and advertise it as very rare.

cheers
rick1776

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
I had 2 of them when I was about 10, I was confused about the spelling of Porsche for years thanks to them, they were numbered 5 and 9 and came with water slide Martini transfers.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've just checked my C.125 935 martini Porsche and it has the spelling mistake on it as well. Had the car for years and never noticed it till now

QUOTE (scuderia_turini @ 7 Aug 2011, 00:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Interesting...
I just checked my early one of these - it has the correct spelling. However, all three C125 that I have, have the name "PORSCHE" on a raised boss. To my mind that implies that the wording was replaced by having a "plug" inserted to the mould. On the "PORCHE" are the letters flush with the chassis surface ?
On mine the lettering is raised boss.

·
Circuit Owner
5,890 Posts
QUOTE (scuderia_turini @ 7 Aug 2011, 00:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Interesting...

The plug theory sounds good because my Porche has raised lettering on a background that is flush with the main pan. My later Porsche has raised lettering on a raised boss that would easily cover the original mistake.

Sounds like these were quite common.

Thanks or the info.

·
Circuit Owner
5,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (rick1776 @ 7 Aug 2011, 04:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If they only produced 10000 of them before discovering the mistake Id sell it on ebay and advertise it as very rare.

cheers
rick1776

Good suggestion but it would appear quite a few of these were made.

I'm going to stick with plan "A" and strip it, paint it matte black, add lights behind the original headlight lenses (light should bleed through the clear fixing tabs) and as the body will be black and the LED's in a cup; there shouldn't be any light leakage.

I'm also going to add clear LED's at the rear that light up red so you only get colour when it's running. I know matte black is not an authentic finish but the car is just crying out for something a bit different.

This one's a keeper.

Thanks everybody for your comments by the way - most informative!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts